Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
F10 Pulling to the right FIXED!

I just wanted to make it easier for people with the pulling to the right problem so i am posting up m work order. This should make it easier for those being told by their dealer that the pull is normal. My car drives perfectly straight now!

This is also to help you guys who are too lazy to read the original 25 page thread over at 5post
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...highlight=pull

I even had the problem with the car having a rough idle at start up and it even used to shake sometimes at a red light... but that is also gone now by replacing the right side fuel sensor. This is also shown in the work order

enjoy

Last edited by just516in; 06-18-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-18-2011, 03:37 PM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Can someone explain what "rotating the struts" means and what does it do?

PS: I know what struts are, just don't understand rotating them.

Last edited by Erregend; 06-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 00 M Roadster
Thanks for the posting of the WO. I have made a copy of this for my upcoming visit in case I get the normal BMW "I dont know" routine. Atleast I can give them a starting point to work from.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 08 550i
Anyone have updates on their pulling right issue where all the 'fix' / 'solutions' didn't work? Read as much as I can on the issue across all the forums, but didn't see much on worse case scenario if none of it worked. Anyone have it where they can't fix it and what the process was for a buy back? Mine is in with the dealer and they've done software update, which failed. Then did the rotate strut 10mm, re-program fail. Then they did another step [I think all struts] + reprogram and failed. They are doing the latter step one more time, but if fails they said they have to ask BMW what to do next. I'm assuming it goes there, then its not looking good, so starting to think about worse case scenario. I just bought this car two weeks ago

Last edited by cubsko; 07-01-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i, 00 M Roadster
Cubsko, find needsdecaf posts on this, he I believe had the steering column replaced also, seems there are some 2010 build that had out of tolerance steering columns
Old 07-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Cubsko, find needsdecaf posts on this, he I believe had the steering column replaced also, seems there are some 2010 build that had out of tolerance steering columns
Hello, I'm here!

Yes, there were out of tolerance steering columns made prior to 9/10.

Make sure BMW gets the engineer for "front chassis and steering" from BMWNA involved. He will know what the issue is.

The biggest fix is the rotating the struts. But from what I understand, it's very difficult to do correctly. THe first time mine were done, they were only turned 1/2 as much as they need to. So don't worry, they'll get it right.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys. Did do that, however, they are saying that my iDrive is defective and needs to be replaced in order for them to do the re-program now. The iDrive is on back order for 2 weeks and they want to give me my car back till the part comes in. Once its in, they will re-program and that 'apparently' will fix the issue. Apparently the iDrive kept the reprograming from happening. Is this logical?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM

Need some advice here. I've read all the posts on this issue and the ultimate fixes for many of you. Where I'm at in this process is, tried the struts, did software upgrade, both didn't have an impact. Sent all the measurements to BMW in Germany. They wrote a specific program for my car, but they couldn't re-program because my NAV was failing [don't get that]. Had to wait nearly 3 weeks for new Nav to arrive from Slovenia. Yesterday they installed the Nav [or as the work order states S.O.P., 65-50-9-241-826], re-programmed and they indicate it was fixed. Drove home and today, still pulling right, slightly better, but pulling right. I called the dealership again and they are giving me the line "it's normal for all bmw's to pull right slightly."

So advice needed, should I go to BMW NA at this point, while continuing to work my service center. They said I can come back have the technician drive with me and if its pulling call out he BMW rep to come.

I've provided all the info all of you had and they seem to be following the 'normal' procedure without really taking the volume of info from the forums. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Speak to your dealer's Service Manager or General manager. Tell them you know of others who have had the issue, and that BMW N/A is aware of it. Tell them to contact BMWNA's head of "Front chassis and brakes" engineering and have them get involved. They will know right away what the issue is.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsko View Post
So advice needed, should I go to BMW NA at this point, while continuing to work my service center. They said I can come back have the technician drive with me and if its pulling call out he BMW rep to come.
I have driven ten different F10's in the last year. None of them exhibited a pull to right syndrome. I have over 4000 miles on mine and it does not have the problem. My conclusion is that it is not normal for your car to pull to the right. What a pity that there are inept BMW service people in a position to mislead you with totally erroneous statements like that. Needsdecaf has the right suggestion.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Mine does it too... Just picked it up two days ago and noticed immediately on a freeway drive home. It is extremely slight, I don't have to exert much force to keep it straight - yet when i let go, it slowly creeps right. Shame on BMW to say the least. I was so hoping my July 2011 build would have all those old issues eliminated. :-(. So how noticeable is yours? Could this be corrected by slightly over inflating the right tire? I really hate to have my new car disassembled by the dealer at one week old

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Mine does it too... Just picked it up two days ago and noticed immediately on a freeway drive home. It is extremely slight, I don't have to exert much force to keep it straight - yet when i let go, it slowly creeps right. Shame on BMW to say the least. I was so hoping my July 2011 build would have all those old issues eliminated. :-(. So how noticeable is yours? Could this be corrected by slightly over inflating the right tire? I really hate to have my new car disassembled by the dealer at one week old
i let them do what ever is written on the work order and it completely fixed the pull to the right!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM

So it was "second attempt programming the units" that fixed it? It's a bit unclear. Nothing mechanical, just computer?
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by just516in View Post
i let them do what ever is written on the work order and it completely fixed the pull to the right!
for the replacing right fuel sensor. Is it the center in the hood? I have a piggy back kit that's connecting to the TMAP, MAP, MAF, and Solenoid sensors. Is it one of those? I don't want to go in to dealer to have that issue fixed and have them void my warranty.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
I have had my car back twice for this issue and it is still unresolved. I am waiting for them to let me know the next step. They supposedly did the reprogram mentioned at the top of the thread, and supposedly drove it afterward and the tech manager said it was fixed. It was very slightly improved, but not fixed, and now, two weeks later, I am waiting for a response.

It's not the end of the world, but their loaners didn't pull, nor does my other vehicle....
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
My car is going back in tomorrow (July 2011 build). They replaced a control arm and did an alignment on my first service visit which did not fix the problem. Otherwise, I really like the car but this steering problem is ludicrous in a 60K car. I've owned 5 BMW's over the past 10 years and it may be time to find another brand.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: United States
sigh... I just got my 528 back from the dealer. This was the second time it went in service for the "pulling to the right" problem. The first service, they flashed firmware and rotated something. The pull was gone, or at least I can't really feel it. But when the car is going straight, the steering wheel is not centered. Thus a second service.

anyways, I just picked up my car. The receipt that I got didn't have any record on it (i.e no details about what has been done on the car). I asked the service rep, he tried to explain what was done, which I don't really believe. On the way home, I felt hopeless. The steering wheel is still off the center!!! WTF. I am convinced that those guys didn't do anything. They just kept my car there for a few days and claimed that they fixed it.

Have anyone experience situation like this? What should I do?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawwt View Post
sigh... I just got my 528 back from the dealer. This was the second time it went in service for the "pulling to the right" problem. The first service, they flashed firmware and rotated something. The pull was gone, or at least I can't really feel it. But when the car is going straight, the steering wheel is not centered. Thus a second service.

anyways, I just picked up my car. The receipt that I got didn't have any record on it (i.e no details about what has been done on the car). I asked the service rep, he tried to explain what was done, which I don't really believe. On the way home, I felt hopeless. The steering wheel is still off the center!!! WTF. I am convinced that those guys didn't do anything. They just kept my car there for a few days and claimed that they fixed it.

Have anyone experience situation like this? What should I do?

Thanks
1st call BMW NA and document the problem. Secondly, change dealerships.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
1st call BMW NA and document the problem. Secondly, change dealerships.
Off topic, but do you really think BMW central cares that much (as to get on the dealer's case?). When my car didn't enter into production 7 weeks after placing an order (!!!), I called BMW Canada to complain (I said I don't believe in what the dealer tells me which INDEED turned out to be a bunch of bull!) and the guy there was very nice, took my info and went to investigate. When he called me back - he seemed to be very protective of the dealership, (finally!) gave me my prod number and all, but when I called him to thank him personally, he stopped short of ANY criticism of the stealer. He urged me to "continue working with my retailer" as if nothing ever happened....
Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Off topic, but do you really think BMW central cares that much (as to get on the dealer's case?). When my car didn't enter into production 7 weeks after placing an order (!!!), I called BMW Canada to complain (I said I don't believe in what the dealer tells me which INDEED turned out to be a bunch of bull!) and the guy there was very nice, took my info and went to investigate. When he called me back - he seemed to be very protective of the dealership, (finally!) gave me my prod number and all, but when I called him to thank him personally, he stopped short of ANY criticism of the stealer. He urged me to "continue working with my retailer" as if nothing ever happened....
Whether they care or not is irrelevant. There is a file on you and your car, and a history. If a legal battle ensues or you request a buy back, there is a paper trail.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM

An update, albeit late....a few weeks ago I returned to the dealership and drove with the shop foreman. He acknowledged it was not quite right but said it was within the realm of "normal"... I politely disagreed, and when we got back, they crossed the tires--X pattern, and lo and behold, problem solved. I had them note this, so they don't create the problem again with the next rotation, but for now all is good!!!!
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art234 View Post
An update, albeit late....a few weeks ago I returned to the dealership and drove with the shop foreman. He acknowledged it was not quite right but said it was within the realm of "normal"... I politely disagreed, and when we got back, they crossed the tires--X pattern, and lo and behold, problem solved. I had them note this, so they don't create the problem again with the next rotation, but for now all is good!!!!
I'm not going to blame this solely on Good Year or the RFT's, but GY, RFT and all season tires seems to be a bad combination and reoccurring theme around here.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I'm not going to blame this solely on Good Year or the RFT's, but GY, RFT and all season tires seems to be a bad combination and reoccurring theme around here.
Agreed. And as stated earlier, they had previously done the software update indicates by the OP.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Does the F10 pulling to the right problem span multiple model years?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Does the F10 pulling to the right problem span multiple model years?
I think the dealers/service reps are watching this forum. So I couldn't say who I heard it from. But a pretty reliable source told me that multiple BMW models across multiple year have the pulling to the right problem.

Sadly, many people don't even know if their car is pulling. My mother in law has a X5. She has no clue whether hers is pulling because she always drive with both hands firmly on the wheel. lol.

So I guess you just have to be careful when you buy. Always bring it for a free way test drive before signing the paper. So ED is a bad idea.