Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Well, I just got my car back after 2 weeks at the dealer. They again confirmed car pulled right. Thy tried the usual fixes by re-aligning, swapping tires and a software reload. They opened a PUMA case with BMW and first tried a different set of tires without success. Finally received instructions from BMW to replace the steering rack which is quite a bit of work. I am happy to report the car tracks flawlessly. It doesn't drift at all at high speeds even on cambered highway. I can now steer the car with the tip of my pinky finger.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
rcupka, which model and model year do you have?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcupka View Post
My car is going back in tomorrow (July 2011 build). They replaced a control arm and did an alignment on my first service visit which did not fix the problem. Otherwise, I really like the car but this steering problem is ludicrous in a 60K car. I've owned 5 BMW's over the past 10 years and it may be time to find another brand.
Did you have just slight pull or any other problems as suggested by your post?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
My vehicle is a MY2011 535ix built July 2011. The car was noticably pulling to the right before the steering rack was replaced.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011, 535i
2011 535i Pulling to to Right Problem FIxed

My early built 2011 535i Pulling to to Right problem has finally successfully fixed and eliminated 16 months of my unhappyness .
Thanks to just516in who posted his service invoice in this forum. I printed out his service invoice and asked my bmw service. Service dept followed as his invoice description code and my car is totally perfect now.

Here are the codes :
Rotated Struts to fix pulling
Defect code 32 00 02 97 00
3131515 11FRU
3199000 12FRU
3200630 12FRU
33-30-6-787-062 Combination Nut Qty 4

Also they eliminated rough acceleration problem between zero to 35mph by doing following:
Scanned fault memory and performed test as outlined 12 09 11
GW Validation Code 40547337
Updated vehicle software
Rescanned to normalize seat positions
Verified correct operation
6100730 4FRU 6100983 1FRU

Now vehicle is very smooth and no pulling at all. I hope if you have a similar problem, copy above codes and ask to bmw service could fix your problem too. Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by just516in View Post
i let them do what ever is written on the work order and it completely fixed the pull to the right!
How do you get the dealer to do some random work order, which is quite involved and complicated, if they claim that there's nothing wrong with the car and it drives perfectly fine. Just curious because i have a 2012 528xi and it pulls ever so slightly to the right. Took it to one dealer and they said that everything is perfect but did a tire alignment and adjusted toe-in front axle. After that, the slight pull is still there, but now my steering wheel isn't straight any more. I'm taking it to another dealer today, but how do i get them to rotate struts and swap the tires if they claim everything is perfect and will not want to do any work on it?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
How do you get the dealer to do some random work order, which is quite involved and complicated, if they claim that there's nothing wrong with the car and it drives perfectly fine. Just curious because i have a 2012 528xi and it pulls ever so slightly to the right. Took it to one dealer and they said that everything is perfect but did a tire alignment and adjusted toe-in front axle. After that, the slight pull is still there, but now my steering wheel isn't straight any more. I'm taking it to another dealer today, but how do i get them to rotate struts and swap the tires if they claim everything is perfect and will not want to do any work on it?
Nevermind, it was easier than I thought. I took a ride with the service manager, he acknowledged that the steering wheel is crooked and that the car does pull to the right. I brought the printout with me, and he said he'll have to do some more research to see if BMW issued any service bulletins about the problem. Sounds promising. Then they asked me which loaner car I wanted. I asked for a diesel X5, but they didn't have any available. So i got a regular 2012 X5. I love the panoramic moon roof, but besides that, I miss my 5 already. I haven't seen the new 3 yet, but the dash on the X5 looks like the dash and console of the 2011 3. Very disappointing.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Nevermind, it was easier than I thought. I took a ride with the service manager, he acknowledged that the steering wheel is crooked and that the car does pull to the right. I brought the printout with me, and he said he'll have to do some more research to see if BMW issued any service bulletins about the problem. Sounds promising. Then they asked me which loaner car I wanted. I asked for a diesel X5, but they didn't have any available. So i got a regular 2012 X5. I love the panoramic moon roof, but besides that, I miss my 5 already. I haven't seen the new 3 yet, but the dash on the X5 looks like the dash and console of the 2011 3. Very disappointing.
Actually, it looks a lot like the dash on the 2010 5.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Actually, it looks a lot like the dash on the 2010 5.
Sure does. I was just hoping BMW had put those dark days behind them and finally came to their senses. Does the new 3 dash look like the current 5 or still not? The new headlight design on the 3 is a beauty I think.

And too bad BMW doesn't make panoramic roofs on the 5. Benz has been offering it for years now in their 5-competitor sedan.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM

I've also test-driven two 2012 X5s and found their nav screen so ackwardly small. The rear view camera shot was almost invisible. F10's size is soo much better. But, with all due respect, the current X5 dates back a few years. The new interior will probably kick some serious ...

How did we get to talking about X5 in this thread once again...?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
I've also test-driven two 2012 X5s and found their nav screen so ackwardly small. The rear view camera shot was almost invisible. F10's size is soo much better. But, with all due respect, the current X5 dates back a few years. The new interior will probably kick some serious ...

How did we get to talking about X5 in this thread once again...?
My fault. I guess this thread became a lot like my 5...pulling to the right and off track a bit!! We'll get it back on track when I get my sweet sweet 5 back from the dealer, hopefully driving straight again.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by just516in View Post
I just wanted to make it easier for people with the pulling to the right problem so i am posting up m work order. This should make it easier for those being told by their dealer that the pull is normal. My car drives perfectly straight now!

This is also to help you guys who are too lazy to read the original 25 page thread over at 5post
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...highlight=pull

I even had the problem with the car having a rough idle at start up and it even used to shake sometimes at a red light... but that is also gone now by replacing the right side fuel sensor. This is also shown in the work order

enjoy

Can you elaborate on your vibration/rough idle? I brought my 535i xdrive in a couple weeks ago for rough idle and they found nothing, did you car have any codes? I see they refer to an SIB on your work order, what was your exact complaint?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
so if bmw doesnt attempt to put the blame and responsibility on us as they attempt to do with their battery problem.
they now just simply say the problem is normal or acceptable.

if that was truly the case everybodys car should be pulling to the right.
and all of us whose cars dont pull,must then have defective cars.

once again, the way they deal with the problem is worse then the actual problem.
the problems are acceptable. their lack of consistant good customer service is not.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal joey View Post
so if bmw doesnt attempt to put the blame and responsibility on us as they attempt to do with their battery problem.
they now just simply say the problem is normal or acceptable.

if that was truly the case everybodys car should be pulling to the right.
and all of us whose cars dont pull,must then have defective cars.

once again, the way they deal with the problem is worse then the actual problem.
the problems are acceptable. their lack of consistant good customer service is not.
This is a bit harsh.

You are dealing with 1) individual drivers and 2) individual dealerships and 3) individual service technicians. Blaming it on "BMW" is, IMO, unfair.

It's not BMW saying it's not a problem, it's the dealer, which is not owned by BMW. And it's not even the dealer, but the individual service tech who drove the car. And let's face it, there are a lot of different variations of "pulling". Cars do follow the crown of the road. And I believe that BMW's alignment specs do sacrifice some self centering and straight tracking in the cause of better responsiveness. However, that's not to say that there isn't a problem. I had the problem on my car (would change lanes to the right within 3 seconds, definitely not a "drift".)

Moreover, BMW has acknowledged there is a problem. It is a known issue in their database and there are three fixes for it. I had some conversations with a lot of high up people when dealing with my car. Believe me, they know there is a problem and are not denying it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
to decafs point: it's probably fair to actually define the "drift" as others have experienced it to some varying degree. i was the victim of the drift in the very early days because my car was not aligned correctly after swapping out the terrible RFTs, but it paled in comparison to what others were feeling (ie 3sec and changed lanes). that was easily corrected, and the car tracks great now (also i think the dinan suspension may help that as well). there are probably 3 tiers of problems, the "it can be corrected by a simple alignment" to software fix to full out hardware tweaks. but it sounds like if you go through the process, you get results

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
You are dealing with 1) individual drivers and 2) individual dealerships and 3) individual service technicians. Blaming it on "BMW" is, IMO, unfair.

when i say bmw that includes the dealerships. that is common terminology.
when i take my car in for service,i always say im going into bmw.

whenever there is a history or pattern of specific problems with a car the corporation issues service directives or bulletins to the network of dealership service departments to inform them of the specifics of the problem and how to remedy it. from what i have been reading here and elsewhere, there clearly has been a pattern of specific tire problems,battery problems,and cars pulling off center, etc. bmw at this time has to be well aware. they should have made notification to the dealerships.if they havent they are at fault for ignoring a known problem. if they made the notification then there has to be a consistant policy in the dealer network on how to resolve it. not that one dealer will solve the problem, and the other dealer will tell you its normal. dealers shouldnt have the power,the power has to come from the corporation. they have access to much more data on these issues then any one dealership.

we have heard of some dealers replacing run flats with trad tires,while others refuse. the run flats were never a dealer mandate.they are a bmw mandate. we have heard where some dealers replace dead batteries free of charge as a courtesy.a courtesy? that should clearly be a warrantied item. we have also heard cases where some dealers charged drivers $500 to $600. out of pocket to replace it . we have heard of cars pulling off center either being bought out by bmw,fixed to the owners satisfaction,or had owners being told its normal or acceptable ,live with it. when known and documented problems exist ,we should not have to roll the dice or be at the mercy of the dealers discretion. if we are and it clearly seems that we are,then bmw is responsible for allowing this inconsistant service policy to continue.

harsh is subjective. when its someone elses car, it might seem harsh.
when its your car,it might not seem harsh at all.
what i think is harsh is,
having to make 3 trips to the dealer and losing the use of my car for 3 days because of a simple thing like a tire. now bmw the corporation and their dealer network are aware of a problem but have done nothing other then sell insurance to deal with it. why are they continuing to equip their cars in that setup with that tire? why would they select a tire that is only made in that size by one company? and why arent they putting pressure on that comany to at least make them,because for some time now it appears they arent.
and how about rather then just make them go back to the drawing board, and come back with a new and improved version.

a number of my posts are critical .that is because i sometimes dont like or agree with what im reading. in spite of that this is a very impressive automobile.but when i have to have concerns about venturing away from home,and suddenly have either a tire or battery problem, both of which can leave me stranded, all of the cars good points suddenly mean very little.

if we all continue to come here only to post accolades,the problems dont get exposure.if they dont get exposure or attention they are much less likely to be dealt with. there are more then enough bwm loyalists or supporters here,and they have that right,as i and others like me have the right to vent. we can split hairs about whether its bmw or the dealers who are to blame but the bottom line is i dont care . if i have a problem i want it fixed and fixed quick. what i dont want to hear is its my fault,or they are providing me a courtesy,or thats normal,or acceptable. and thats what i have been reading. are you willing to accpept that? and does it really matter to you who is at fault?

im not suggessting you do,but clearly others choose to worship at the alter of bmw .many bmw owners have had a history and a number of bmws,which leads me to believe they were fortunate to have good cars, or had problems resolved to their satisfaction. this is my first bmw. i have a history with acura,and it is a good history. they make a very good car,and they provide good customer satisfaction .one example,my last car the battery died in the 47th month of a 48 month of warranty.they put in a new battery no questions asked. they didnt scan my car for data to monitor driving activity,and they didnt tell me they were doing me a favor,a so called courtesy. is acura equal to bmw? no way, but bmw is also not twice as good. for the money i paid for this 5, i purchased both my tl and my wifes rdx. the bmw is a lot better then the acura,but with it come some problems i never had with acura. so while i thought i was stepping up, it hasnt been what i thought it would be. i would rather take less car,have less problems,and when i had problems be treated better .in addition to that i never had a single concern about taking my acura far from from home.i had much greater peace of mind with a $30,000. car then i have with a $60,000. car.
the bottom line is when i pay that much more,i expect that much more and that includes service. and when i dont get it, somebody is gonna get a headache until i do. and if by some chance i still dont get it,you lost a customer. that simple.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Does the F10 pulling to the right problem span multiple model years?

Yes it does. My 08 E60 pulled to right, could never get them to fix it and finally time won out, the lease was up and I went to the Welt to pick up a new 5. Was I ever pissed when I realized the pulling to right on the F10. I have had the tire switch and the strut thing done, but there is still a slight pull to the right. Ugh, they just wear you down until you give up and live with it. I put about 2500 miles a month on my car, all freeway. I am now revived enough to go back into battle. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the engine shuttering comment, my car just starting doing this when I stop at traffic lights etc. Is annoying to say the least, now I know how to explain it to my SA.
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhamm View Post
Yes it does. My 08 E60 pulled to right, could never get them to fix it and finally time won out, the lease was up and I went to the Welt to pick up a new 5. Was I ever pissed when I realized the pulling to right on the F10. I have had the tire switch and the strut thing done, but there is still a slight pull to the right. Ugh, they just wear you down until you give up and live with it. I put about 2500 miles a month on my car, all freeway. I am now revived enough to go back into battle. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the engine shuttering comment, my car just starting doing this when I stop at traffic lights etc. Is annoying to say the least, now I know how to explain it to my SA.
Keep pushing the issue until they send out the front suspension / brake guy from NJ.

The problem with the spring thing is that it's VERY hard to do correctly, from what my shop foreman said. There is a tendency, according to what the head suspension guy told him while they were working on my car together, to not turn them enough.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Cars do follow the crown of the road.
Funny... I have NEVER observed that in ANY of my previous cars, including the E46. I never had to counter-act the crown by correcting left. Never means about 12 years of car ownership (multiple makes).

With the F10, original RFTs and a horrible pull (2-3 seconds and curb here I come) - I've talked myself into believing that, too. You can find my older posts about it as well. "Nah, it must be the new overly-sensitive electric steering with must make the road crown a lot more apparent", I've frequently stated. I truly believed this newly created theory of mine, and finally happily talked myself into living with it.

... Until I got my new winter set of wheels and tires. Pulling completely gone. No more road crown theories, the car goes straight where I point it - I can let the wheel go and no correction's necessary even on most slanted roads. So, I don't know about this "following road crown" theory any more. If I've never felt it before for 12 years, neither with my new winter set on the F10 - I'd put my money on cars NOT following the crown of the road - or AT LEAST not in a visible way requiring constant correction - rather a minimal, invisible, mostly subconscious one, if any.

Good luck to all getting that fixed. Believe it - the F10 can and should go straight as an arrow. I say this as I did not believe it either and tried to talk myself into thinking my pull was insignificant and normal, ie. "road crown" :-)

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca

Last edited by yogi799; 03-03-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Got mine back from the shop on 2nd try. The second dealer I went to was awesome. Very professional and friendly. From the start, didn't try to BS me about the crowning theory. He said he saw the car pulling to the right within 3 seconds on new pavement at speed. I showed him the printout, and he said he'll check the BMW bulletin to see if they know about it. I also told him i took to a different dealer and they did an alignment and not only did they not fix the pulling, but they made my steering wheel crooked. After 2 days, I picked up my car. Drives perfectly now...i think. He said all they did was adjust the struts by 3 mm, didn't have to rotate tires or rotate struts or do any software updates, and there was no need to do an alignment. He said BMW issues a bulletin saying that when they ship new cars, the setting on the strut may be too tight, and it just has to be adjusted. He also said he called the other dealer and told them they were dumb and should know what they're doing. So I'm back to being a happy driver...for now.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Funny... I have NEVER observed that in ANY of my previous cars, including the E46. I never had to counter-act the crown by correcting left. Never means about 12 years of car ownership (multiple makes).
Sorry, but cars will eventually wander with the crown in the road. I'm not talking "you can't take your hands off the wheel OMFG I'm gonna crash" pull, but get on a straight of highway that has a decent crown and the car will eventually head downslope if your hands are off the wheel. It's not an issue and requires very minor steering input (unconscious as you put it) to counter.

My issue, and yours from the sound of it, are (were) much more severe and could never be mistaken for crown pull. Making an immediate beeline for the curb is not normal.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
He said BMW issues a bulletin saying that when they ship new cars, the setting on the strut may be too tight, and it just has to be adjusted.
That is still beyond me... Why on Earth...??

Quote:
I'm not talking "you can't take your hands off the wheel OMFG I'm gonna crash"

My issue, and yours from the sound of it, are (were) much more severe and could never be mistaken for crown pull. Making an immediate beeline for the curb is not normal.
LOL

Well, the problem with me was.... I have essentially talked myself into believing that my severe pull did not exists or if it did it was totally the road's fault.

So this is to all those in the same shoes - these cars CAN and MUST go straight. Don't give up...

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Kobe, Kobe, Kobe!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Interestingly enough, I swapped my OEM wheels out for 20" non-OEM wheels/tires (Giovanna wheels, Vredestein tires) and, I swear, the car didn't pull to the right before, but now does. Of course, I'm sure it was always there as I swapped out tires at 1000 miles, and now have 2500 on the odo... but I'm concerned my dealer is going to say it's the non-OEM wheels (which of course CAN'T be the case, right??). Anyone here have this problem fixed successfully with aftermarket wheels?

I suppose I can put my OEMs back on for the service call, but I'd like to avoid unnecessary work if I can.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerholic View Post
Interestingly enough, I swapped my OEM wheels out for 20" non-OEM wheels/tires (Giovanna wheels, Vredestein tires) and, I swear, the car didn't pull to the right before, but now does. Of course, I'm sure it was always there as I swapped out tires at 1000 miles, and now have 2500 on the odo... but I'm concerned my dealer is going to say it's the non-OEM wheels (which of course CAN'T be the case, right??). Anyone here have this problem fixed successfully with aftermarket wheels?

I suppose I can put my OEMs back on for the service call, but I'd like to avoid unnecessary work if I can.
If you read through the countless pulling threads, a lot of people actually say that there was pulling with the OEM runflat tires, and as soon as they bought non-run flats the car was straight as an arrow. Haven't seen anybody see what you're seeing. hmm
Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 PM

My car pulled to the right on non-run flats.