Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 325
Smile E46 Fuel pump fuse blows with a happy ending.

BMW E46
2000 323i sedan.

This is a strange story with a happy ending...

I set out to do an entire cooling system overhaul (Radiator, Expansion tank, Water Pump, Thermostat, 3 hoses and 2 belts)

Spent the better part of an entire week working a little here and there - finally came time to put everything back together and start-er up.

She fired up like a champ, I was montitoring the water reservoir - worried about air pockets that might cause the engine to overheat.

After about 5 minutes of running, the engine just stopped. Wont restart. - Pissed off I called it a night.

Score - BMW 323i 1, FrankyZambony 0

Thought about possible causes all night (Didnt sleep well) then hit it again first thing in the morning to try and isolate the problem.

At first, I thought maybe I fried the engine due to an air pocket - but the more I thought about it the less I believed that theory.

The car only ran for about 5 minutes before it stopped running - I dont think there was enough time to get the engine temp to critical.

So, I set off searching the BMW forums. After about an hour of random surfing I came across some youtube posting of a guy talking about a blown fuel pump fuse.

Turns out, there are actually TWO fuses for the fuel pump - one is in the glovebox the other is in the fuse compartment under the hood near the drivers side firewall.

I pulled the fuse block out from the under-the-hood fuse box and sure enough - the 20 watt fuse was blown. (Middle fuse in a 5 fuse block)

OK - so at least I am on the right path... Now why did the fuse blow ?

Ran down to the hardware store and purchased some fuses, put a new one in and the minute I turned the ignitian key the fuse blew again !!!

So I am trying to understand how I could have possibly screwed up the fuel pump by re-doing the coolant system.

Back to the forums, I followed a couple of procedures to isolate fuel pump problems - Pulled the back seat, removed the fuel pump connector and inserted another fuse.

BAM - that fuse blew as well (WITHOUT the fuel pump attached) - that rules out a bad fuel pump.

Back to the forums again - I found some article that casually mentioned that the circuit that runs the fuel pump also runs SOME OTHER electronics in the car.

At that point a light came on in my head - perhaps the 6 or so electrical connections to cooling components that I removed and inserted (Temp sensors, level sensors etc) might have a short.

So now its process of elimination.

Pulled the connections off the lower hose temp sensor, the FAN sensor and the large plug that connects on top of the radiator - inserted new fuse, tried again...

BAM - fuse blew.

Next iteration, I removed the sensor from the Thermostat - inserted new fuse turned the key AND THE CAR STARTED RIGHT UP !!!

Pulled out the ohmmeter and measured 1 ohm across the thermostat temp sensor - compared it with the one I took out - it had about 16 ohms.

So I pulled out the "NEW" thermostat, put back the original and all is well.

The datapoint that did not compute for me is why the car ran for what seemed like 5 minutes although I am sure the fuel pump fuse probably blew immediately - Now that I think about it, the lines to the engine probably had enough fuel in them to keep the engine idling for a few minutes.

This "NEW" thermostat was ordered online from some ebay store - I know - you shouldnt use crap parts and you get what you pay for.

The "NEW" thermostat is going back and the score now is FrankyZambony 1, BMW 323i 0

Hope this helps someone out there isolate a blown fuel pump fuse.
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyzambony View Post
BMW E46
2000 323i sedan.

This is a strange story with a happy ending...

I set out to do an entire cooling system overhaul (Radiator, Expansion tank, Water Pump, Thermostat, 3 hoses and 2 belts)

Spent the better part of an entire week working a little here and there - finally came time to put everything back together and start-er up.

She fired up like a champ, I was montitoring the water reservoir - worried about air pockets that might cause the engine to overheat.

After about 5 minutes of running, the engine just stopped. Wont restart. - Pissed off I called it a night.

Score - BMW 323i 1, FrankyZambony 0

Thought about possible causes all night (Didnt sleep well) then hit it again first thing in the morning to try and isolate the problem.

At first, I thought maybe I fried the engine due to an air pocket - but the more I thought about it the less I believed that theory.

The car only ran for about 5 minutes before it stopped running - I dont think there was enough time to get the engine temp to critical.

So, I set off searching the BMW forums. After about an hour of random surfing I came across some youtube posting of a guy talking about a blown fuel pump fuse.

Turns out, there are actually TWO fuses for the fuel pump - one is in the glovebox the other is in the fuse compartment under the hood near the drivers side firewall.

I pulled the fuse block out from the under-the-hood fuse box and sure enough - the 20 watt fuse was blown. (Middle fuse in a 5 fuse block)

OK - so at least I am on the right path... Now why did the fuse blow ?

Ran down to the hardware store and purchased some fuses, put a new one in and the minute I turned the ignitian key the fuse blew again !!!

So I am trying to understand how I could have possibly screwed up the fuel pump by re-doing the coolant system.

Back to the forums, I followed a couple of procedures to isolate fuel pump problems - Pulled the back seat, removed the fuel pump connector and inserted another fuse.

BAM - that fuse blew as well (WITHOUT the fuel pump attached) - that rules out a bad fuel pump.

Back to the forums again - I found some article that casually mentioned that the circuit that runs the fuel pump also runs SOME OTHER electronics in the car.

At that point a light came on in my head - perhaps the 6 or so electrical connections to cooling components that I removed and inserted (Temp sensors, level sensors etc) might have a short.

So now its process of elimination.

Pulled the connections off the lower hose temp sensor, the FAN sensor and the large plug that connects on top of the radiator - inserted new fuse, tried again...

BAM - fuse blew.

Next iteration, I removed the sensor from the Thermostat - inserted new fuse turned the key AND THE CAR STARTED RIGHT UP !!!

Pulled out the ohmmeter and measured 1 ohm across the thermostat temp sensor - compared it with the one I took out - it had about 16 ohms.

So I pulled out the "NEW" thermostat, put back the original and all is well.

The datapoint that did not compute for me is why the car ran for what seemed like 5 minutes although I am sure the fuel pump fuse probably blew immediately - Now that I think about it, the lines to the engine probably had enough fuel in them to keep the engine idling for a few minutes.

This "NEW" thermostat was ordered online from some ebay store - I know - you shouldnt use crap parts and you get what you pay for.

The "NEW" thermostat is going back and the score now is FrankyZambony 1, BMW 323i 0

Hope this helps someone out there isolate a blown fuel pump fuse.
Interesting, sometimes new parts are indeed faulty, but you may not have actually solved your problem. If it returns, keep us posted.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Great investigative work!!! I would not have thought of that.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 330i
You need a case of beer and some jerky. Then take a long nap because you're car loves you. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
The fuse maker also loves you very, very much.

2006 325Ci
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Same Thing Happened to ME.......lol

Frankyzambony, you are my hero until I have another problem on my 330i.
I too had just installed one of the "EBAY Metal housing" thermostats and experienced overheating problems for a day or two until it just cut out on the highway. The sensor or coil or whatever it is on the thermostat was shorted and blew the fuse.

I found your post, thank you, you saved me a lot of headaches.

PS. A plumbers drain nut wrench works just as well as a clutch fan removal tool......
Old 11-19-2011, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 01 330ci
Is there a way to replace the broken sensor on the metal housing thermostat? I like the idea of having a metal termostat over the plastic piece.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:59 PM

I don"t think it's a sensor, I think it's some kind of solenoid/coil valve. The ones I have are definately not replaceable. I too liked the idea of the metal housing but I guess it's not the housing that fails, it's the Valve and sensor/coil. I may be wrong, just stating what i've seen on my troubleshooting searches.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 01 330ci
I will order one of the metal housing thermostat to see what i can find

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Bimmer
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks . . . hoping for another happy ending.

Thank you for your post. I replaced my fuel pump. Car ran great all day yesterday. This morning, it's back to "popping" the fuel pump fuse.

Thanks to you, I will look at the cooling system next. (Had a brief cooling system light come on weeks ago. Never would have guessed the two could be connected.)

Really appreciate your post.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I just wanted to bump this and say thanks to the OP for this thread. I encountered this problem for a car I was working on yesterday. The lady said she parked it, and then it wouldn't start. The pump didn't prime so I tested it and it worked. I thought, I better check the fuse, sure enough, it was blown. Put another one in, turned the key and POP. I did a quick google search and found this thread. I disconnected the Tstat electrical connector to the harness and the car fired right up. No doubt I saved the lady a LOT of money on mechanics trying to diagnose that problem.

So again, THANK YOU!!!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....