Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
Mercedes launches AMG GLC 43 4MATIC - Where is the BMW X3 M?

glc 43

Mercedes-AMG launches their latest mid-size SUV, the GLC 43. The GLC 43 builds on the standard model, which competes with the BMW X3, adding in more power and other AMG accoutrements. It looks great and the stats seem impressive, but now we have to wonder; where's BMW's answer the GLC 43? Will we see an X3 M?

The mid-size SUV model series gains a particularly dynamic addition in the form of the new Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC.The 270 kW (367 hp) 3.0-litre V6 biturbo engine, the automatic transmission 9G-TRONIC with shortened shift times and the AMG performance 4MATIC all-wheel drive configured with a rear bias form the basis for an especially dynamic on-road driving experience. The autonomous design and the specially tuned sports suspension on the basis of AIR BODY CONTROL with adaptive damping adjustment underline the affiliation to the Mercedes-AMG world of Driving Performance.

Following the record sales in 2015 Mercedes-AMG remains on a path of growth: the product range will be extended at high speed in 2016 too. "With the new GLC 43 4MATIC we are offering an AMG model in the mid-size SUV segment for the first time. The new SUV from Affalterbach marks the pinnacle of the GLC product range and in the AMG portfolio it closes the gap between the GLA and GLE", says Tobias Moers, CEO at Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

The 3.0-litre V6 biturbo engine is used in numerous AMG performance models and is the only six-cylinder variant available in the GLC. It delivers 270 kW (367 hp) maximum output plus a maximum torque of 520 newton metres. The GLC 43 4MATIC sprints from rest to 100 km/h in 4.9 seconds and its speed is electronically governed at 250 km/h. The newly developed front axle, the taut elastokinematics and the highly precise AMG speed-sensitive sports steering make a substantial contribution to the agile driving experience.

High on power, low on consumption: the AMG 3.0-litre V6 biturbo engine
The AMG 3.0-litre V6 biturbo engine is characterised by a powerful output together with low consumption and emissions. Installed close to the engine, the two turbochargers are especially spontaneous in their response. The high power output of 270 kW (367 hp) is attributable to, among other things, the higher 1.1 bar charge-air pressure. Together with the 520 Nm torque from 2500-4500 rpm the engine unleashes high levels dynamism and responsiveness. The

NANOSLIDEŽ coating on the cylinder liners was also enhanced in the Mercedes-Benz Formula 1 V6 hybrid turbo engines. Especially tough and, therefore, wear-resistant, this coating also reduces friction, thereby contributing to higher efficiency. The same applies to the spray-guided multiple injection with up to 200 bar fuel pressure. The AMG powerplant can be identified by the red aluminium insert on the engine cover.

glc 43

Short shift times, high efficiency: the 9G-TRONIC
The 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission is especially matched to the demands of the GLC 43 4MATIC. Thanks to the model-specific software application, the AMG developers managed to reduce the shift times of the 9-speed transmission. The multiple downshift allows even faster short bursts of speed, while the double-declutching function in the "Sport" and "Sport Plus" transmission modes makes for an even more emotive driving experience. Defined ignition adjustments also provide faster gearshifts than in the "Eco" and "Comfort" modes. "Manual" mode can be selected using a separate button in the centre console. The gear changes are based on the selected transmission mode, and the driver can change gear using the paddles on the steering wheel. Moreover, the transmission stays in the selected gear and does not automatically shift up when the engine speed reaches the limit.

More agility: the sports suspension based on AIR BODY CONTROL
For more agility, more neutral cornering characteristics and higher traction even in intensive use the Affalterbach developers have designed an autonomous sports suspension on the basis of the AIR BODY CONTROL air suspension. Also specifically adapted, the Adaptive Damping system ADS PLUS can be adjusted in the three stages "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport Plus". It thus increases the kingpin inclination between high comfort on long journeys and sporty driving dynamics.

The four-link front axle is fitted with special steering knuckles and load-bearing joints; all components have been optimised in terms of rigidity. A more negative camber on the front axle and on the multi-link rear axle enhances lateral dynamics. The elastokinematics of both axles have been designed to be more rigid in general. The sum of these measures improve agility, and boost the dynamics.

glc 43

Rear-biased and agile: AMG Performance 4MATIC
The standard-fit all-wheel drive AMG performance 4MATIC is characterised by the rear-biased torque distribution of 31 percent at the front axle to 69 percent at the rear axle. This configuration ensures more driving dynamics and higher lateral acceleration on the road plus improved traction during acceleration.

Characteristics at the tap of a finger: AMG DYNAMIC SELECT
With the five DYNAMIC SELECT transmission modes Eco, Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus and Individual, the driver can tailor the characteristics of the GLC 43 4MATIC to individual preferences at the tap of a finger. The available range extends from efficient and comfortable to extremely sporty. This modifies key parameters, such as the response of the engine, transmission, suspension and steering. Independently of the DYNAMIC SELECT transmission modes, the driver has the option of pressing the "M" button to switch directly to manual mode, in which gearshifts are executed exclusively using the shift paddles on the steering wheel.

The DYNAMIC SELECT drive programs "Sport" and "Sport Plus" are even more strongly configured for driving dynamics on the GLC 43 4MATIC than on the series-production models. This is thanks to the more agile, more direct accelerator characteristic and the more emotive gear shifting with shortened shift times, double-declutching function and cylinder shut-off. The higher idle speed also facilitates even faster moving off and acceleration from standstill.

In order to increase efficiency, in "Eco" mode the ECO start/stop function and the gliding function reduce fuel consumption: when the driver releases the accelerator in a speed range between 60 and 160 km/h, the clutch is disengaged and the engine is decoupled from the powertrain. The electronics reduce the engine speed to idle level, and the driving resistance is reduced by the compression and frictional forces of the engine in overrun mode.

Direct and with clear feedback: speed-sensitive sports steering
The speed-sensitive sports steering has a variable ratio in the GLC 43 4MATIC. It stands out with its precise, highly authentic feedback. The steering power assistance is variable in the "Comfort" or "Sport" tuning. The relevant characteristics are automatically activated depending on the selected DYNAMIC SELECT transmission mode or can be personalised in "Individual" mode.

The large-dimensioned braking system with interior-ventilated compound brake discs decelerates the performance SUV reliably and quickly. At the front axle perforated discs sized 360 x 36 mm with 4-piston fixed callipers and AMG lettering are used, at the rear axle they are sized 320 x 24 mm with single-piston fixed callipers.

Sporty and distinctive: the exterior design
The autonomous design is enhanced with silver chrome coloured and high-gloss black features. It builds on the AMG Exterior line. The diamond radiator grille features chrome-plated pins, a louvre in high-gloss black with inserts in high-gloss chrome and the AMG lettering. The sportily distinctive air intakes in the AMG front apron feature fins in silver chrome. Down below, the silver chrome front splitter ensures an optimal flow of air to the cooling modules.

High-gloss black-painted, high-sheen 48.3 cm (19-inch) AMG 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels dominate the side view. The mixed-size tyres with the dimensions 235/55 R 19 on 8 J x 19 at the front axle and 255/50 R 19 on 9 J x 19 at the rear axle emphasise the majestic appearance. There are also high-gloss black door mirror caps and the silver-coloured "BITURBO 4MATIC" lettering on the front wings.

The tail end also sports characteristic highlights and exudes sporty, aesthetic appeal with two four-pipe chromed tailpipe trims. The AMG-specific rear apron sports trim in silver chrome.

glc 43

Sporty look with model-specific details: the interior design
The interior reinforces the consistently dynamic bias with numerous specially designed details. Ideal for a committed driving style, the multifunction sports steering wheel in black leather features a flattened bottom section and red contrasting topstitching, and sits perfectly in the hand. The driver and front passenger find a secure position in the sports seats even when driving at speed, thanks to the improved lateral support. The upholstery in black ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre boasts its own seat upholstery layout plus red topstitching. To match the seat design the door centre panels are styled in the same material.

With two large round dials and central colour multifunction display with a 13.97 cm (5.5-inch) diagonal the AMG instrument cluster places all the important information in the driver's field of vision. The ECO display supports a fuel-saving driving style. Dials in a chequered-flag look and the distinctive typography lend the large displays an especially sporty touch.

Optional features with a sporty emphasis
The sporty character of the GLC 43 4MATIC is also emphasised by the optionally available on-request equipment: they range from performance seats with increased lateral support, through leather upholstery, carbon-fibre trim and the Night package to 21-inch wheels in a bi-colour design. The new Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC celebrates its world premiere in March 2016 at the New York International Auto Show, and sales release is on 4 April, with market launch beginning in June 2016.

Check out the GLC 43 in the teaser video below:

Old 03-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F25 x28 n52 + n20 / B8 A4
the M40i from the X4 would be more comparable to the GLC 43 "AMG lite"
Old 03-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
That's what I was thinking, however, going by the body style, it's definitely more X3 than X4. I guess until BMW comes up with an X3M, the X4 M40i will have to take up the slack.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 PM
BMWCCA '505245

Send a message via AIM to LycanNyc
Mein Auto: F26 X4 M40i LBB
Yep this goes right along with the X3 .. the GLC Coupe is the one going against X4
DIG/Roll Racing Oct 23rd *PA*

Current:
16' X4 M40i Long Beach Blue |Mocha LEDs 20's 680M

Past:'14 X3 28i M-Sport | AW | DHP | RaceChip

X4 M40 vs 335 GT Drag-Strip
X4 M40 vs X5M

Member: BMWCCA #505245
Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I thought this is the X3 F25 Forum

Why are you promoting a MB in this forum?
If I was the moderator, it would be removed.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:51 AM

I was just at a few Mercedes dealers over the weekend, the GLC is selling like hotcakes. I think Mercedes hit a homerun with the GLC. We took one for a test drive, nice handling car, the ride is more comfortable than the X3, handling about the same. The interior is a level above the X3, wind noise is a bit loud on the highway but on par with the X3 once again. The GLE and the X5 is much quieter on the highway.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
It's no secret that the competition between BMW and Mercedes and lately Audi has led to some really great cars. None of them can rest on their laurels.

I personally have not really been attracted to Mercs in the past, mainly because of the styling. I looked at some early 2000's convertibles and the interior was not great IMO.

However, this is a very attractive vehicle--one of the best looking in their current lineup IMO. Though I admit I'm biased toward cars with a Hofmeister kink.

One other issue of course is dealership. The Merc dealer around here doesn't get great reviews from my friends with Mercs. BMW is OK, but just went through an ownership change, so whether that will affect service and support remains to be seen.

2011 BMW X3 i35 (current)
2003 Acura CL (current--son drives)
2012 Itasca Navion IQ with Mercedes engine (current)
2012 Subaru WRX Premium (retired)
2004 BMW Z4 3.0 (retired)
2005 Honda CR-V (retired)
2003 Honda Accord Coupe (retired)
2003 Subaru Outback 2.5 (retired-)
1986 Saab 900 (retired)
1985 Audi 80 (retired)
1977 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback (retired)
Old 03-24-2016, 06:52 AM

If dealership experience and customer service is my top priority, I would have a Lexus in my driveway right now. I think Mercedes is really making some great cars right now, the interior of the GLC looks better in person than in pictures. I cannot wait to test drive the AMG GLC 43.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If dealership experience and customer service is my top priority, I would have a Lexus in my driveway right now. I think Mercedes is really making some great cars right now, the interior of the GLC looks better in person than in pictures. I cannot wait to test drive the AMG GLC 43.
Agree on Lexus reputation--excellent in the Omaha area. Wish their small SUV's performed better and weren't styled so extreme.

I would have to see the GLC interior in person. In pics it looks a bit shiny and busy. All 3 German automakers have a typically Teutonic approach to styling--Mercedes baroque, Audi Bauhaus and BMW kind a refined minimalism between the 2. I personally have always been a fan of BMW styling inside and out.

1986 Saab 900 (retired)
1985 Audi 80 (retired)
Old 03-24-2016, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by captirwin View Post
The thread starter is a site Admin, and the article, like in the title is asking where the X3 M is.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
Agree on Lexus reputation--excellent in the Omaha area. Wish their small SUV's performed better and weren't styled so extreme.

I would have to see the GLC interior in person. In pics it looks a bit shiny and busy. All 3 German automakers have a typically Teutonic approach to styling--Mercedes baroque, Audi Bauhaus and BMW kind a refined minimalism between the 2. I personally have always been a fan of BMW styling inside and out.
We test drove the Lexus NX200t a few months back, it perform every bit as well as the X3 28i. The front end however, its a face only a mother could love I think all three German brands practice refined minimalism when it comes to the interior, Audi being the busiest of the three as far as controls are concerned, although the new Audi TT's interior is a reversal in that trend. The last gen X3's styling did not excite me, but the current is a winner.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
We test drove the Lexus NX200t a few months back, it perform every bit as well as the X3 28i. The front end however, its a face only a mother could love I think all three German brands practice refined minimalism when it comes to the interior, Audi being the busiest of the three as far as controls are concerned, although the new Audi TT's interior is a reversal in that trend. The last gen X3's styling did not excite me, but the current is a winner.
Re' performance, I have never driven the NX200t, but the 0-60 time is 6.9s, vs 6.2 for the X3 28i and 5.3 for the 35i. The reviews of Lexus typically talk about the cushy, not sporty handling.

The RX350 is even bigger and slower than the X3.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-...0h-first-test/

I will agree the Lexus gets marks for longevity and reliability.

As far as styling, it's an individual thing. I actually like the styling of the new Lexus coupes and SUV's for now, but my feeling is it will get dated in a few years, kind of like the older RX's look now.

The Merc and Lexus look awfully busy in the cockpit, with a lot of shiny stuff. Again, personal preference, but when I get in my X3 I get a sense of relaxation from the appointments, leather and wood.

1986 Saab 900 (retired)
1985 Audi 80 (retired)
Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Enjoying our X3

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i
We came from a 2014 Lexus RX350 and did not like the ride of the 2016 RX with 20" wheels or the new look. Our test drive of the GLC is what got us thinking that a smaller SUV would work for us. When our lease is up we will look at the GLC again. I know this post is about the sport version of the X3, we would like a bit more of the cushy.

2014 Lexus RX350 Trade-in on ^^^^

Mine: 2012 Kia Sportage pretty much stock. (SOLD 3/4/16)
Old 03-25-2016, 09:46 AM
BMWCCA '505245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_558 View Post
We came from a 2014 Lexus RX350 and did not like the ride of the 2016 RX with 20" wheels or the new look. Our test drive of the GLC is what got us thinking that a smaller SUV would work for us. When our lease is up we will look at the GLC again. I know this post is about the sport version of the X3, we would like a bit more of the cushy.
My X4 M40i is so much more sportier but even with the 20's and Forged wheels it comes with now, the ride is not harsh at all in Comfort. The Comfort setting in M40i is a Sportier Comfort (Handling + Comfort) so there's not as much need to go into Sport as much as I needed to in the X3 M-Sport w/ Dynamic Handling pkg that i had prior.

I believe the GLC will be much more comfort as it does not focuses on the sportier ride the X3 w/ DHP offers. DHP gives extra comfort in comfort and extra sportiness in sport
But the GLC300 is boring and comfort, the GLC43 here will be much more fun providing comfort and sportiness that the new X3 will take to #1 spot.

Looks like BMW waits for Benz to release their new and come back with their better product (sometimes)

Current:

X4 M40 vs X5M

Last edited by LycanNyc; 03-25-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycanNyc View Post
I believe the GLC will be much more comfort as it does not focuses on the sportier ride the X3 w/ DHP offers. DHP gives extra comfort in comfort and extra sportiness in sport
The GLC with air suspension is more comfortable than the X3 with DHP on comfort mode and handles every bit as good on turns.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E93 335i & 14 X3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by captirwin View Post
No discussion of other car brands allowed here!!! LOL. That is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time on a car forum.

Last edited by Lotus99; 03-29-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 96Impreza,07Vette,11X335i
Has Mazda retired "GLC?"
'11 BMW X3 35i, white
Old 03-31-2016, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: Deutsch Automobil
There should've been a faster X3 when the SQ5 came out a few years ago. I guess they must be waiting for the next gen X3 before bringing out a faster one.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto:
My tuned 35i can beat that thing to 60. Not impressed.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers79 View Post
Apples to Oranges comparison
Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
And this 650hp tuned Mercedes C class can eat your X3 for lunch, so whats your point?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/c-insan...50-horsepower/
Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto:
The point is if I am paying that much for an AMG badged car I want AMG performance. Not 50k dollar car performance. Not sure why this is hard to understand. It's just not impressive for the price they will charge for it. I'm sure the package will be nice though.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:13 AM
BMWCCA '505245

Quote:
the point is if i am paying that much for an amg badged car i want amg performance. Not 50k dollar car performance. Not sure why this is hard to understand. It's just not impressive for the price they will charge for it. I'm sure the package will be nice though.
+1

Current:

X4 M40 vs X5M

Old 04-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
The point is if I am paying that much for an AMG badged car I want AMG performance. Not 50k dollar car performance. Not sure why this is hard to understand. It's just not impressive for the price they will charge for it. I'm sure the package will be nice though.
So what is the price of the GLC 43, the last time I check, it hasn't been release yet?

Like someone already said, you are comparing apples to oranges, compare stock to stock and tuned to tuned. The GLC43 was not designed to head to head to the X3 anyways, it is cross shopped with the X4M.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
It's not a full-on AMG. It's more AMG-looks than performance, just like the M235i.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
amg glc 43, amg suv, bmw x3 competitor, mercedes-amg, mercedes-amg glc 43, new mercedes suv

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search