Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Nice write-up! I used to change all the oil on my e46, but the wife always took her e90 in to have it done. Now that I'm driving the e90 I do it myself, but the 2014 X3 we got for the wife a couple of weeks ago won't be due for a dealer oil change for a loooooong time. My mechanic told me to do myself a favor now and change the oil with Mobil 1 every 5k and then take it to the dealer at scheduled intervals. He says go Mobil 1 because it's better than the generic BMW oil (I forget the brand that BMW uses and relabels as their own). He sees a lot of cars after the warranty expires and swears that the extra oil changes outside of dealer intervals will save much hassle after warranty goes in 4 years.

I hadn't heard that changing my own oil between intervals would be bad for the existing warranty...where is this documented? I was very much looking forward to changing the X3's oil since it should be much easier getting under the vehicle than my e46 or e90. I just need her to drive it to 5k miles...at 2 weeks old, it's only 4,437 miles away!

Another question- will using Mobil 1 on my own and having the dealer use the BMW brand cause me any issues? I can't see that it would, aside from the X3 getting used to the better Mobil 1 for 2 of every 3 changes.

Thanks all-

-JPFROG
2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i

Last edited by jpfrog80; 07-10-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
What do you guys think about installing a Fumoto drain valve on their bimmer to speed up oil changes? I use one of these on my motorcycle.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CLWm...FUhgMgodYkoA2Q
Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrog80 View Post
My mechanic told me to do myself a favor now and change the oil with Mobil 1 every 5k and then take it to the dealer at scheduled intervals. He says go Mobil 1 because it's better than the generic BMW oil (I forget the brand that BMW uses and relabels as their own). He sees a lot of cars after the warranty expires and swears that the extra oil changes outside of dealer intervals will save much hassle after warranty goes in 4 years.

I hadn't heard that changing my own oil between intervals would be bad for the existing warranty...where is this documented? I was very much looking forward to changing the X3's oil since it should be much easier getting under the vehicle than my e46 or e90. I just need her to drive it to 5k miles...at 2 weeks old, it's only 4,437 miles away!

Another question- will using Mobil 1 on my own and having the dealer use the BMW brand cause me any issues? I can't see that it would, aside from the X3 getting used to the better Mobil 1 for 2 of every 3 changes.

Thanks all-

-JPFROG
BMW's oil is a long way from generic. They use Castrol synthetic, labeled as BMW. I freely substitute store bought Castrol synthetic for BMW synthetic, but have actually found the price for the BMW synthetic less than store bought Castrol in some instances. I use Castrol in my M5 and have 213k miles on my 911SC with regular Castrol. It's the only oil I've used in it for 29 years and the engine has never been opened.

Mobil 1 is also a great choice. You really should check with the dealer first to make sure there are no warranty issues if you switch. Don't give them an excuse to void your warranty if something were to happen unrelated.

As to changing synthetic every 5k mile, I think that's a bit much. I split the recommended mileage difference and just had mine changed at 7k miles. BMW will pick up the tab at the 15k mark. I'll pay again at 22k.

I never had any warranty issues when I changed my own oil. I always bought the filter from the dealer so there was some record, but that's it. However, be careful, the oil pan is aluminum and the drain plug is steel; very easy to strip the aluminum threads. That's why I started using a vacuum to suck out the oil rather than removing the drain plug. Since there's no dip stick tube on the X3, I let the dealer change the X3's oil. You shouldn't have a problem; I'm just being paranoid after stripping my M5's oil pan.
2013 BMW X3 35i

Last edited by bimmernut1; 07-14-2013 at 08:44 PM.