Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible
Smile 328i Convertible and iphone 4 adaptor question?

Hi
i am picking up my new (and first ever Bmw) convertible 328i tomm.
I am a total apple/iphone guy, i just ordered the iphone center consoul adaptor that is supposed to charge phone and stream apps.

Would like to know others experience with this adaptor? Does it stream Pandora? Mog? etc? hows the sound quality etc? Also does it have to be put on Aux or does it work off regular mode.

Also, package didn't come with Harmon Kardon upgrade speakers. i am nervous about the stereo sound quality since this is the first time i didnt upgrade to better stereo package...

would appreciate all feedback regarding these two questions/review

thanks
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
I'm sorry but you need to check the e9x sub forum. This sub forum is about the unreleased F30 models.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible
Cool Thanks

Can you linK. Me to the thread please, I am brand new here
Thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
You have an e9x car:

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved the thread to the E9x forum for you. Anyone with a vert able to help this new member?

Tim
Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I moved the thread to the E9x forum for you. Anyone with a vert able to help this new member?
Mine is not a vert, but I don't see why that would matter and since I'm a noobie too...

This subject is my biggest complaint about my car, it is a 2011 model, it has blue-tooth support (I chose not to get the Nav system) built-in, but I cannot stream music to the car from my iPhone even though I can to a set of $24.99 headphones. Voice works flawlessly but not music, and I've never tried an app. I was pretty irritated with my dealer about them saying it had blue-tooth support for iPhones only to find out the music did not work, so they threw in that adapter cable. I thought that was no big deal until I saw how much they cost

The adapter has a USB and an aux (headphone) connector on one end and the standard accessory connector for the iPhone 3GS and 4, as well as all of the newer iPods. All three need to be connected, the aux is for sound, the USB is for power. When you connect it you'll get the warning about the accessory not being the right kind, just hit okay and go to the iPod app and set the car to iPod mode.

1st thing I noticed was that the phone went sort of blank, there's no control available at all from the phone when it is set to "play", so you run everything from the car. Without the nav system there's like a half-inch tall screen that allows you to scroll through two songs at a time. The text is small and the interface is funky, both of which mean you cannot do this (safely) while driving, particularly if you have a large library. So all I can do if disconnect the phone, set up a playlist, hit play, then reconnect to the car. either that or what I end up doing is set it to all-songs and just shuffle, then I can hit forward if a song I'm not in the mood for comes around.

Pretty weak implementation if you ask me, cars costing less than half as much as this one did offer fully functional iPhone/iPod use via blue-tooth. The sound quality is fine, but I'm no audiophile.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:27 PM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
.... I was pretty irritated with my dealer about them saying it had blue-tooth support for iPhones only to find out the music did not work, so they threw in that adapter cable. I thought that was no big deal until I saw how much they cost

The adapter has a USB and an aux (headphone) connector on one end and the standard accessory connector for the iPhone 3GS and 4, as well as all of the newer iPods. All three need to be connected, the aux is for sound, the USB is for power.
If you have a post-Sept-2010 2011 BMW, you do NOT need the adapter cable. Use a standard white iPhone/iPod cable.

Last edited by Erregend; 06-22-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
I have the same car you are getting. I do have the upgraded sound system which I was told is a necessity in the vert because of the additional noise with the top down. I have the BMW cable because the dealer gave it to me at no cost. I have an iPhone 3G. I can stream Pandora no problem by just pressing the home button on the phone, and starting Pandora. The sound quality is mediocre as you are tied to the network you are currently connected to. It does work though. Funny thing is on my car display, the last song that was playing before I started Pandora is frozen in the display when I switch to Pandora. I haven't played with this much to see if I can get it to go to something else, like switching the input or something.

Also I have not tried just using my white iPhone cable and plugging it into the usb port in the console, as mine is built post-Sept-2010 as Erregend is suggesting above. I will try that though as I am curious now.

Hope this helps.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM

OK so I just did some further testing of the USB/aux inputs in the console WRT my iPhone 3G. I plugged in the white cable that came with my iPhone, the one I use to sync with, into the USb port in the console. My iPhone charges and transmits audio to the car just as if I was using the custom BMW cable which plugs into both the USB and aux ports together. Four additional notes: 1. When using the white cable, the audio menu shows an iPod connected as well as the aux input as available. 2. When using the BMW cable, the audio menu shows an iPod connected but no aux input available. 3. When using the BMW cable, and plugging in only the USB part and not the aux part, the iPhone charges, no iPod is shown, and the aux input is available. 4. When using the BMW cable, and plugging in only the aux part, the iPhone streams audio to the car, but does not charge.

Conclusion to the OP: You do not need to purchase the BMW cable to stream audio from an iPhone 3G (and likely iPhone 4, although I cannot verify this). The cable that comes with your iPhone can be used with the added benefit of freeing up the aux input for whatever you want to plug into it. Such as two ended mini-plug to another audio source or mini-plug to RCA L/R cable to another audio source, etc.

Last edited by bmwrocks; 06-22-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erregend View Post
If you have a post-Sept-2010 2011 BMW, you do NOT need the adapter cable. Use a standard white iPhone/iPod cable.
THANKS for that info, that date is gonna be close for my 2011, so how can I decode the build date? I assume the door tag but what code should I look for? I guess there's no harm in just trying it.

I like the idea of using that cable since it is long enough for me to hold it while plugged in. Does that work without the iDrive system?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: Jetta GLX
You didn't mention if you have iDrive (nav) in the car. If you do, you should get the optional BMW Apps installed as well. It allows your iPhone to integrate certain apps directly into your car's iDrive controller. Pandora is the first approved third-party app integrated into BMW Apps. It allows you to control Pandora through the iDrive, changing stations, liking, and skipping songs, etc.

2011 E90 Alpine White | Black Dakota | Alum | M-Sport | 6MT | ZPP | ZCW | ZVP | Xenon | iDrive | HK | CA | BMW Apps
Ordered May 14, Sept 14 ED, Nov 15 Redelivery
BMWCCA #451506

Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
THANKS for that info, that date is gonna be close for my 2011, so how can I decode the build date? I assume the door tag but what code should I look for? I guess there's no harm in just trying it.

I like the idea of using that cable since it is long enough for me to hold it while plugged in. Does that work without the iDrive system?
I do not have iDrive and it works for me.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM

I tried it on the way to work this AM. I plugged the OEM (white) cable from the iPhone into the USB port in the console. I did NOT get the warning that this accessory does not meet the standards (whatever) that I usually get with the BMW cable. So I go to the phone and launch the iPod app, it does not go blank like it does when I use the BMW cable...getting this big grin on my face by now. So I hit play and the sound comes from the phone not the car speakers...hmmm...oh yeah I have to set it to iPod on the dash. So I go there and the iPod option is missing...WTF it is usually there. I try the AUX and nothing, I try the USB and nothing.

I guess my build date is just before the 9-2010 date, there could not have been that many 2011s made in July/August, I purchased the car new in March, damn. This seems like the sort of thing that could be fixed by flashing a PROM somewhere. I mean the car has blue-tooth integration already for the iPhone, why not for iPod? On my wife's Ford it works seamlessly allowing the dashboard or the iPod to control the playlists etc., her truck also has a USB port but it is not needed for iPhone/iPod, it is there to allow me to connect a portable HDD and integrate it into the on-board HDD for media, or just to charge devices that support power-over-USB.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Some answers to the general question of using an iPhone/iPod with the USB port:

1) As far as I know, you need to use the BMW supplied cable to get the iPod (also iPhone) to work.
2) When you connect your iPod/Phone, you'll see that the menu option under the "audio" menu will change from USB and AUX to iPod.
3) When you connect your iPod, you'll get an "Accessory Connected" splash screen meaning you need to use your headunit to control your iPod music selection.
4) Audio from other apps will play just fine. You might find that the iPod music starts playing automatically, even overriding your app, at first. You need to tell the iPhone to play the audio app you're using.
5) *Any* app that plays audio will work. This includes Pandora, MOG, Rdio, last.fm, etc. Even audio from videos will come out of your speakers. You just need to use their respective apps to control playback.

I don't know if the standard USB cable will suffice for the audio playback on newer cars. On my 2010, I have to use the supplied BMW cable to get it to play and get headunit control. I bought a cheap longer cable with a dock connector on one end and a split USB/Aux on the other and when I use that, I don't get the iPod choice in my BMW's audio menu. I can get playback through the AUX menu option but then I don't get headunit control. HTH.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
HTH.
It does, except for your #1, that seems to have been "fixed" early in the 2011 production run, just not early enough for me.

This discussion has all been about the cable, but that is a side-show discussion, or rather is should be.

Not to labor the point, well yeah...to labor the point. Why does a device that supports blue-tooth not work in a high-end 2011 (or anything 2006+) automobile that claims to have built-in blue-tooth support? C'mon BMW, how much money per car could you have saved by screwing your buyers like that?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
It does, except for your #1, that seems to have been "fixed" early in the 2011 production run, just not early enough for me.

This discussion has all been about the cable, but that is a side-show discussion, or rather is should be.

Not to labor the point, well yeah...to labor the point. Why does a device that supports blue-tooth not work in a high-end 2011 (or anything 2006+) automobile that claims to have built-in blue-tooth support? C'mon BMW, how much money per car could you have saved by screwing your buyers like that?
I don't know the answer to the question but I do know that A2DP audio (stereo bluetooth) is a less than perfect audio solution. If you've ever heard A2DP on good speakers, you'll hear crackles and audio degradation. Would it be nice to have? Sure, but you lose a lot of the integration that a direct connection provides. And it adds a layer of complexity to the situation - troubleshooting a BT connection can be a bitch.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrocks View Post
I have the same car you are getting. I do have the upgraded sound system which I was told is a necessity in the vert because of the additional noise with the top down.
Huh? Guessing he means volume ramps up & down w*******t noise....??

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-23-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Bizarre! Strange! Wonderful!

I type: "with ambient"

Displayed: "w*******t"

YO LANDO!

Does the auto-censor bot go too far?

"ith ambien" a Kazakstani curse?

What gives???

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Bizarre! Strange! Wonderful!

I typed: "with ambient"

Displayed: "w*******t"

YO LANDO! Does the automatic censor bot go too far?
Potty mouth!

To stay on topic...many cars that cost less than half as much (Ford Focus and all Hyundais) as my e90 have that feature in their base-systems already.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Potty mouth!

To stay on topic...many cars that cost less than half as much (Ford Focus and all Hyundais) as my e90 have that feature in their base-systems already.
Yup. How hard could it be?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
When did I mention ramping up and down with ambient noise? All I meant by what I said was that with WIND noise with the top down, the upgraded sound system SOUNDS better. Don't over analyze.