Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E24 (1976 - 1989)

E24 (1976 - 1989)
The BMW 6 Series (E24) was the first variant of the 6 series produced by BMW from 1976 through 1989.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
hypershark

Mein Auto: 1985 635csi, 1953dodge PU
Engine making loud sound when under load

I know it sounds bad guys but I hope its an easy fix? This is what happened after a healthy run on rt 30 in Pa on a cool summer morn I hit a bump/hole hard and the rubber accordian tube that runs between the intake and map sensor ripped and it sucked a lot of air while getting a different reading from the map sensor, now the engine has a spun bearing or loose connecting rod, still sounds strong at only 155k miles and always lubed up correctly. So my question is can I replace the bearing or end cap without removing engine, I have the tools ALOT of them??
Ads by Google
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85hypershark View Post
I know it sounds bad guys but I hope its an easy fix? This is what happened after a healthy run on rt 30 in Pa on a cool summer morn I hit a bump/hole hard and the rubber accordian tube that runs between the intake and map sensor ripped and it sucked a lot of air while getting a different reading from the map sensor, now the engine has a spun bearing or loose connecting rod, still sounds strong at only 155k miles and always lubed up correctly. So my question is can I replace the bearing or end cap without removing engine, I have the tools ALOT of them??
I've done it on other cars so I think you can. If it's just a rod bearing, it's not that bad, but you may want to take a close look at the other bearings and oil pump. Plastigauge them to check the clearances. Some models require the removal of the front subframe to get the oil pan off. It may sound like alot of work, but if the car and engine are properly supported it's probably the way to go. Do you have any kind of repair manual to guide you? Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted. Taking some pics would be nice too.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM
hypershark

Mein Auto: 1985 635csi, 1953dodge PU
85 BMW shark Big Little Problem aug 2011

Now I do remember having to take an oil pan off a 88 635 csi and I had to lift the engine with a jack in the front to get the 7 quart pan off and replaced. I did this in the busy street in Baltimore . Now that I have my own musclecar/bmw shop in Hellam Pa (east york) called "OVERKILL Speed and Custom" I can probably have a much easier go at it. I will keep you posted. Pics might be a problem since I fell in Cheasapeake Bay a few days ago with a smart phone and it wasn't smart enough to turn f ing off.......
ZAKK
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85hypershark View Post
Now I do remember having to take an oil pan off a 88 635 csi and I had to lift the engine with a jack in the front to get the 7 quart pan off and replaced. I did this in the busy street in Baltimore . Now that I have my own musclecar/bmw shop in Hellam Pa (east york) called "OVERKILL Speed and Custom" I can probably have a much easier go at it. I will keep you posted. Pics might be a problem since I fell in Cheasapeake Bay a few days ago with a smart phone and it wasn't smart enough to turn f ing off.......
ZAKK
The Bentley E28 manual describes loosening the motor mounts and lifting the engine from the front and rear lifting points. You'll need to loosen the air comp bracket, PS bracket, alt and bracket, and the bellhousing reinforcement plate. That's for an E28, your car is similar, but possibly different.