Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 328IC
ABS Light and ASC come on at same time and Engine Rough at idle???

The other day driving down the road, the ASC and ABS came on intermittently. As it came on the engine started getting very rough at idle and when I tried to accelerate it was like my car was a turtle! : (
Any explanation?
I do have check engine code P1421 and P1423
I have already replaced
secondary air pump and open valve.
Can anyone point me to where the relay and fuse is for this secondary air pump?
Any suggestions? I still need to test the secondary air pump cable to see if its giving 12V but I dont believe it is seeing I got a brand new Air pump and still nothing.
Any information would help. Thanks alot in advance!
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
The air pump & related should not affect drivability at all. This is just inconveniently timed. IIRC, code 21 means the air pump circuit is open, and 23 means the solenoid isnt kicking it on (or maybe the other way around. IDR). The air pump is supposed to be on for ~120 seconds upon startup. If this is not happening, and you arent getting power at the pump, go check the relay. The relay is located in the fuse block, but in that little rogue cluster of relays right outside the rest of the relays. IIRC, it was all the way to the left of those 4 relays. Do you have a test light? You will need one to check this.

ABS and ASC coming on together happened to me when I had the car jacked up with one wheel off and the other one bogged down (i was re-surfacing the rotor). I believe what it was trying to say was the traction control ceased to work, so it went into default and turned it off, while throwing a code on the ABS computer. I couldnt say for sure on that one though

Is your car auto or manual?

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 06-23-2011, 06:17 PM
I feed trolls

The air pump & related should not affect drivability at all. This is just inconveniently timed. IIRC, code 21 means the air pump circuit is open, and 23 means the solenoid isnt kicking it on (or maybe the other way around. IDR). The air pump is supposed to be on for ~120 seconds upon startup. If this is not happening, and you arent getting power at the pump, go check the relay. The relay is located in the fuse block, but in that little rogue cluster of relays right outside the rest of the relays. IIRC, it was all the way to the left of those 4 relays. Do you have a test light? You will need one to check this.

ABS and ASC coming on together happened to me when I had the car jacked up with one wheel off and the other one bogged down (i was re-surfacing the rotor). I believe what it was trying to say was the traction control ceased to work, so it went into default and turned it off, while throwing a code on the ABS computer. I couldnt say for sure on that one though

Is your car auto or manual?

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 328IC
The car is an automatic. Is the relay connected straight to the fuse for the secondary air pump? Because i have done some research and know exactly where the fuse is. Do I take the relay off and clean it or what is the correct procedure? Also how do i test the relay? Thanks in advance! This is helping me out alot!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I feed trolls

Well, you will need to know a few things. First, do you know how a relay works? And if you have no concept of circuits (IE if you dont know what a ground is...), this is going to become difficult. You will need a test light too. Go to walmart, the one by me has them for 5 bucks a piece. Heres what they look like

Please, call me Chadley

Old 06-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to ethereal45
Mein Auto: 1998 328i
Does the new air pump turn on and run when you start the car?

1998 328i
Koni Sport Suspension
Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 325IS
So how do you fix the asc and abs problem?