Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC
Hi - new Z4MC owner

Hi,

I took possession of my new-to-me car last week. Having fun.
CDV valve done. Great combo of premium options without being "Premium".

Question
It has the "Business CD radio". The option list says "prepped for phone". The buttons are on the wheel etc. Is there or is there not bluetooth in the car (I can't seem to find it)? If not... what does a retrofit cost? Of course I could just get a top-of-the-line-garmin GPS with bluetooth but I'd like to keep things internal if I can. And yes, I've searched the forums extensively without finding anything definitive (yet). :mad0259:

Overall the car is minty fresh. A regularly serviced garage queen with virtually no miles and no wear and tear visible even under a microscope. I'm pleased with it.

Already learning a lot from the experts here.
Best regards,
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z4M.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	282985  
Ads by Google
Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM
BruceJ

Mein Auto: Z4 Si, 330i
Welcome aboard. In the Z4M Bluetooth is part of the premium package for 2008. You can google "2008 bmw z4M brochure" and probably get the pdf file. If you have power seats you should have it.

Life's Good!
07 Z4Si - Mods: M front Bumper, Mstache, Alarm, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, mudflaps, windscreen, DaveZ GDO, Intravee II, Gaptech Remote +, Diet hamburgers and a Fat steering wheel.
03 330i - Mods: MTechII front Bumper, 125K and rollin!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJM View Post
Welcome aboard. In the Z4M Bluetooth is part of the premium package for 2008. You can google "2008 bmw z4M brochure" and probably get the pdf file. If you have power seats you should have it.
Canadian cars are not the same as US cars in terms of packages. Assuming the OP has a Canadian car, not a US import, bluetooth was a standalone option.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
You will need the access code that should be in your owners manual, but if you don't have a owners manual you will need the dealership to pull that up on the computer. Other choice is to open some panels on the back wall and look for the number on the transmitter.

There are several threads concerning this.

Congratulations on the coupe.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 2.5i
Very pretty! Congrats and welcome!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive in a pretty, well-preserved body. Rather you should skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and proclaiming loudly, "Wow, what a ride!"" Unknown
Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
If you don't have the factory bluetooth, there are alternatives to spending several hundred on the factory parts. I've installed a Parrot CK3000 Evolution car kit, with a BMW specific harness that ties it in to the steering wheel controls.

Another alternative is something like the DICE Mediabridge. I didn't go that route for two primary reasons - I've already got the BMW ipod interface, so didn't need that functionality, and with the DICE your bluetooth phone is not tied in when using the FM mode of the stereo (or single CD) as it only works when the radio is in 'CD changer' mode.

I don't use the Parrot voice control functions or address book, I just use my phone's voice features as it has a much more robust set of commands. You can have a look at the Parrot manual and see if it suits your needs.

Pros:
- Considerably less expensive than OEM retrofit
- Works with any bluetooth phone, unlike OEM
- Parrot 'Pairing/menu' controller can be hidden away in the glovebox and ignored once the system is set up
- Full steering wheel control functionality (Voice dial/command, answer, volume up/down, hang up) with aftermarket harness kit
- Auto muting of music, and pause of CD, on incoming or outgoing calls
- Access to ANY voice command functions available on your brand of phone - system status, battery level, start other programs, select and play music, navigate menus, state time, etc.

Cons:
- Putting mic in factory steering column location took some time and effort (but makes everything look 100 percent factory)
- Setting up Parrot phone book (if used) can be tedious - have to 'transport' entries one at a time from phone to Parrot.
- No radio display of phonebook entries, or scrolling phonebook like OEM (the Parrot simply displays 'Phone' on the radio display when in use).

If you are using the Parrot phonebook, it will voice announce incoming calls that match the Parrot PB entries, but as I mentioned I'm just using the phone voice functions and phonebook, which are much more feature rich - you can't have both active. Paired with something like an iphone 4, the phone display will give you a much better incoming call display (with pictures and customized personal ring tones played over your factory stereo) than you'll ever get on the radio anyway ...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Congrats!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC
Thanks, great info.

Was the wiring harness a Parrot product or did you acquire it elsewhere?

Do you have any part numbers by chance?

Best regards.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
The wiring harness to integrate the steering wheel controls was from 'Connects2', a UK company:

http://www.connects2.co.uk

Delivery was quick to Calgary, via Royal Mail/Canada Post (pre-strike, of course).

It's made specifically for the Parrot CK3000 Evolution BT kit. Their wiring harness part number for my Business CD radio (with 40 pin plug) was CTPPAR008. Everything is plug and play using existing connectors, no wire cutting or splicing. It plugs into the BMW connections and the Parrot 'blue box', replacing the two ISO wiring harnesses shipped with the Parrot kit, which aren't used.

The Parrot EVO kit I bought from Crutchfield Canada - you can get it cheaper out of the US, but by the time you add in shipping and such the price isn't that bad. I decided to get it here and have a convenient return method if necessary.

If you decide to go this route, the 'pre-wired' BMW OEM mic is not compatible, so you'll be replacing it with the Parrot mic. I decided to dismantle the Parrot mic and see if I could make it fit in the factory mic housing on the steering column. Instead of possibly wrecking the only one I had, I found that this Garmin part is the same mic shipped with the Parrot:

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-external-microphone.html

So I bought one and dismantled it to retrieve just the mic element and wiring so it would fit inside the BMW factory mic housing with windscreen foam. That took some effort and custom mount fabrication. Most people just relocate the supplied Parrot mic to the rear view mirror area or somewhere else convenient (which would be considerably easier!) but I wanted it to look OEM.

After you initially pair your phone, it connects automatically each time you turn on the car - you'll hear a couple of chirps from the stereo as it pairs, and the radio display will briefly show 'Phone'. The small parrot remote lives in the glovebox, out of sight and unneeded for day to day operation. When you press the 'talk' button on the wheel, if you haven't set it up to use the Parrot voice control/phonebook, you'll hear the voice control prompt directly from your phone.

There are other threads out there about using this solution with BMWs - try googling the Connects2 part number. Good luck, whichever way you go!