Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aioros View Post
I believe that Bosch remanufactures/rebuilds both Valeo and Bosch brands and sells them as Bosch Alternators. I replaced the one in my wife's car from autohausaz too. i don't remember if the Valeo brand was on the back but Bosch gives you warranty anyways. Any of those will work.
Hi Aioros,
Thanks for sharing the info. Do you recall replacing a Bosch with Valeo? I understand the alternator is remanufactured and warrented by Bosch though it says Valeo at the back. I am worried about the fit and Amps rating....

Did you replace the pulley on the alternator? I read in the forums, Valeo has different pulley (diffrent rpm/ratings?)
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
IIRC, when I asked for the Bosch remanufactured alternator from Oembimmerparts, it was stamped Bosch, but remanufactured by some other company (not Bosch).

Seems to me you have a Valeo alternator; not a Bosch.

Will it work? Dunno. But I'd feel better if it were me and if it were stamped Bosch. Nonetheless, if the parts fit ... well, they fit. Right?

Hi BlueBee,
The packaging is by Bosch (see the picture) and it has a warranty for 24 months by Bosch. The actual unit stamp says Valeo. It is confusing to me as well, about the fit/ratings and Quality.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 AM
aioros

Mein Auto: '99 528i auto , '01 330xi
I think the pulley is the same. If Bosch is selling alternators as Bosch and gives you a warranty, they are making sure it fits. My wife's E46 had a Bosch unit, I don't know if what I got was a Bosch or a Valeo but I would imagine they are made to work and fit our cars.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
Old 07-02-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I think the pulley is the same. If Bosch is selling alternators as Bosch and gives you a warranty, they are making sure it fits. My wife's E46 had a Bosch unit, I don't know if what I got was a Bosch or a Valeo but I would imagine they are made to work and fit our cars.

Thanks for the info. Typically Valeo alternators are priced much lower than Bosch at local stores

ex: Autozone Valeo $170; Bosch $340
Orieilly Valeo $180 Bosch $337

There is dramatic price difference; If both units are the same in fit and quality it makes total sense to go with Valeo.

It is confusing to see Bosch remanufacturing and selling Valeo alternators as Bosch. Did any one has similar experience with AutohausAZ alternators? Please share.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
IIRC, when I asked for the Bosch remanufactured alternator from Oembimmerparts, it was stamped Bosch, but remanufactured by some other company (not Bosch).

Seems to me you have a Valeo alternator; not a Bosch.

Will it work? Dunno. But I'd feel better if it were me and if it were stamped Bosch. Nonetheless, if the parts fit ... well, they fit. Right?
Hi Blue Bee,
I did little more research... went to bosch usa site (www.boschusa.com) and they are recommending AL0703X (Bosch OE Reman alternator; 120 AMPS)

See the link below: http://www.boschautoparts.com/Vehicl...AT=Alternators

Good news I guess.... it is remanufactured and warranty by Bosch though the original core seems to be from Valeo? I am assuming they replaced bearing and other key parts with OE Bosch parts?

CN 90 does this make any sense? Pls chime in:-

Last edited by goblue11; 07-02-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Smile Replaced Alternator, Belts, Roler, tensioners; Fixed PS leak

Quote:

Hi Aioros,
I changed the alternator over the weekend. It fitted perfectly. Thank you!
Did the test-9, voltage reading show 13.4 V.

The biggest take away with Alternator replacement for me was a) Get a Bosch re-manufactured alternator (cost ~$200) if you are not rebuilding your self b) it does not matter what the core is (Bosch vs Valeo). c) Check the AMP rating, make sure it matches (120 amps in my case).

I also completed changing Belts, idler roler and tensioners. Idler roler has little play and the main belt has cracks. The rest were looking ok, but it was easier to get them done, when you are there.

The surprise came with PS reservior hoses. It is leaking bad...and fluid is being collected in the tray. Re-clamped all three connections after trimming the hoses, replaced the o-ring. No leaks for now.

Flushed PS/differential/breaks.. All good for now.

Thanks to CN90, Bluebee and others for their contributions/write-ups on the forum, they have been a big help!!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 AM
aioros

Mein Auto: '99 528i auto , '01 330xi
Good to see that you fixed your issue.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 4Dr
Quote:

I found your post in a Google search and thought I should comment. Bosch and Valeo alternators are interchangeable in most 5 series BMW's 1997 -2004 ( The 540's use a water cooled Alternator ) but use different pulleys , mine is 98 E39 528i that I bought used, and I also owned a 1999 323is E46 that I bought new from Allison BMW in Mountain View, California, but had to let it go in 2004 due to unemployment.

I am not sure why Bosch and Valeo didn't design their alternators to use interchangeable pulley's, but Bosch ( German ) and Valeo ( French ) are two separate companies. I attached the picture of the Bosch vs Valeo alternator pulley's from VACMotorsports website:

The Bosch Alternator pulley on a Valeo alternator will seat directly against the housing when tightened and prevent the alternator from spinning, it is also slightly taller the Valeo pulley. The Valeo pulley has a tapered end that fits into the Valeo alternator's housing and seats directly with out requiring a spacer.

The links to the to picture at VAC Motorsports that shows the Bosch vs Valeo alternator pulley differences are:
VAC - Underdrive Alternator Pulley
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...s50-s52-us.htm

VAC Underdrive Power Pulley Set
http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/vac-...-BE3M-36-PK-EU

The only place I could find a new replacement alternator pulley was at FCP Euro, the price was only $34.99, but there website mistakenly stated that it would also work on a Valeo alternator, when it would only work on the Bosch alternator's. FCP Euro has since corrected this after I spoke with the parts manager. I also recently found one on ECS Tuning's website but if looks like it's for a Bosch alternator and not the Valeo alternator .
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-525...rical/ES29431/

Further digging in my Google search showed a Valeo replacement pulley being offered at South Atlanta BMW for $60.99.
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...ssembly=247240

Before you think you have a bad alternator clean your grounds:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...51#post8141751
I think that bad grounds were the cause of my battery charging and flickering headlight issue. Yesterday I removed the ground wire at the battery and at the DME ground point, cleaned it with emory cloth and re - tightened it down. The battery ground mounting bracket had black arching marks, I filed them off, and removed the Cen-Tech harbor freight float charger wiring eyelet that was also using the mount point that the previous owner installed. I also moved the engine ground wire that was mistakenly attached to the air conditioning compressor when the engine was replaced with a lower mileage engine at La Rosa's Automotive in Attescadero, and moved it to the mount point that CN90 stated that it should be at in the posted picture.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...=1#post8138133

More on Float Chargers:
http://www.batteryfloatchargers.com/..._charger_works

Now the flickering issue with the interior lights and headlights seems to be resolved, the car also idles smoother, and I seem to have more low end power. I just hope this helps some one else who may have the same issue, or mistakenly tries and install a misboxed alternator or pulley as I unknowingly did. Thank you for everyone's help on this forum and for your posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bosch vs Valeo Alt pulleys Compare.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	422361  

Last edited by josemedeiros007; 02-12-2014 at 08:25 PM.