Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: Black Beauty
Opinions Wanted: Buying 2009 335i CPO

Hey guys and girls,

I'm currently looking at buying a 2009 335i sedan CPO, 26,000 miles, auto (to appease the fiancee), sport, premium, and convenience packages with nav. The dealer has discounted it to a little over $34k. Seems like a good deal right? Well..... the main issue I'm having with it is the dealer used it as a loaner for the first bit of it's life. So the car has never been sold and always owned by the dealership.

I've read a number of threads on here about the pros and cons of buying a loaner and everyone saying if they did they would absolutely have to have CPO. Given the inherent reliability issues with 335is, should I be worried, scared, or delighted?

Any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciate.

Also, the dealership has the same car, 29k miles, sans the convenience package and nav for $31k. Opinions on this?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i
I would be weary of loaner cars in general, but having the CPO warranty is reassuring. Check the service history to ensure the vehicle was maintained properly. If I had to choose, I would go for the other car (non*****er). The sport package is an essential addition; people can generally do without the convenience package.

335i's are pretty good cars to drive, but make sure you educate yourself on HPFP issues. In my opinion, it fun factor outweighs the HPFP issues.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder846 View Post
Hey guys and girls,

I'm currently looking at buying a 2009 335i sedan CPO, 26,000 miles, auto (to appease the fiancee), sport, premium, and convenience packages with nav. The dealer has discounted it to a little over $34k. Seems like a good deal right? Well..... the main issue I'm having with it is the dealer used it as a loaner for the first bit of it's life.
You're wise to look @ 2009 or later. But no vert? In Texas?

Don't know if the price is low, but should be knocked down due to the stigma of loanership.

My 2: Get the options

Now chip it, and rip it! You'll be so glad you did.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-28-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

I've read a number of threads on here about the pros and cons of buying a loaner and everyone saying if they did they would absolutely have to have CPO. Given the inherent reliability issues with 335is, should I be worried, scared, or delighted?
Maybe after the warranty is up - you have upwards o'two years or 24k miles.

HPFP issue pretty much resolved; automatic 100k or 10 year warranty on that. Now, particularly 2009+, pretty reliable.

Ditch the runflats, chip it, and if you have rough pavement get Koni FSD's. High priced but excellent alternative to Koni is Birds suspension, England.

When you're used to that, go pro with a Quaife LSD. You have arrived.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I would go for the other car (non*****er).
My apologizes for not stating this in the original post. Both cars are loaners.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
335i's are pretty good cars to drive, but make sure you educate yourself on HPFP issues. In my opinion, it fun factor outweighs the HPFP issues.
Yeah I've read plenty about the HPFP issues and that is obviously a concern. While no one knows what any car is going to look like 8 years down the road, I'm nervous about the car falling apart after the CPO warranty expires.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Yeah I've read plenty about the HPFP issues and that is obviously a concern. While no one knows what any car is going to look like 8 years down the road, I'm nervous about the car falling apart after the CPO warranty expires.
Tough call. Go with your gut feeling. Of course, HPFP is covered for quite some time, but all the other things might not be.

I don't even own N54, my engine is N55 and I have had zero problems with it in 18,000 miles.

Is driving it saying "get me whatever it takes"? If yes, do it. If not, pass. Only the high you get from driving it might offset troubles that might be coming down the road. If high isn't high enough, go for something else.

For me, high is high enough, but I bought new and have a lot of warranty left. See for yourself.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .