Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

View Poll Results: Which tire?
VREDESTEIN TIRE ULTRAC SUV SESSANTA 0 0%
CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DWS 4 80.00%
Toyo Proxes st II 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM
philooo philooo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ft-Lauderdale
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 274
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Michelin SS is supposed to be kicking ass

Anybody tried it and can compare to other brands ?

Michelin always produce a quality product as far as I have experienced
__________________
'11 X5 50i M-Sport
19" Black Saphire | Black | Alu | Lux Seat | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem | Comf Acces | no combox
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM
snopyro snopyro is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: Pirate Ship
sarends,

Do you mind posting a pic of your X5 with the new M510 wheels? What sizes did you get for the front/rear?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarends View Post
I just installed the Vredesteins on new Avant Garde M510 wheels. I went with the Vreds over the Contis because:

1) I already have Snow tires mounted on my OEM Style 335 19" wheels for winter driving - don't need all season and don't want them - lots of mountain driving in winter

2) The Vreds are Y speed rated vs W for the Contis

3) The Vreds look very very cool

4) The 315/35/20 Vreds are recommended for a 10" wide wheel (which I wanted to buy) whereas the Contis specify a minimum 10.5" wide wheel

I love them so far . . .
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Rickm5X3 Rickm5X3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 295
Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
I had them in for a few days and couldn't get used to the different sidewall and tread
Made the tire look "beefy"
Couldn't take it, so I ditched em
Bridgestones t back on!
Anyone experience this?
I have the Bridgestones on the E70 and the DWS on the E53. Totally agree, the Bridgestone is a better looking tire and performs much better in dry conditions, and maybe even wet. I wouldn't run the DWS in your locale, except if I was doing winter trips to the mountains.
__________________
2011 X5M Alpine White/Sakhir Orange, Eucalyptus, Spare tire!, Comfort, Soft Close, Tech, Rear Climate, Individual dash, Individual Audio, HUD, DVD, USB, Cold.
2008 X5 4.8i Space Gray/Tobacco, Premium, Sport (includes AD), Active Steering, HUD, Tech, Comfort, Cold, Climate Package, 3rd Row, Prem Audio, running boards, OEM hitch

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 PM
11leven 11leven is offline
Registered User
Location: BAY AREA,CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
I changes to 20" Conti DWS and had vibration and pull to the right- braking too is not as good as RFT Dunlops and bouncy on bad roads.
No change even after exchanging different set and multiple alignments.

My local discount tire was helping through and got Michelin latitude tour HP - boy what a difference. Crisp on turns , braking and comfort with out pull or vibration.

I live in fairly dry bay area and i think latitude tour HPs are perfect if snow is not a concern.
__________________

2012 X5d...with all possible pks & flowers...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 AM
specialist23 specialist23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: mn
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 535
We ended up going with a set of nitto motivo's. We were going to get the Toyo Proxes ST II as we had the ST I on a different suv and really liked them. Unfortunately the tire shop that we went through wasn't comfortable putting them on due to the size of our rims. Smaller shop.

So we ended up going through Discount Tire and getting the motivo's. Really enjoying them so far. We decided against the continentals because we had them on our 535 and didn't care for them. Felt very floaty as others have mentioned.

From the reviews I read, the nitto's outperformed the continentals on a lot of categories.

Just an fyi for another option. Hope it helps.

one of the reviews:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...ivo_tire_test/

Last edited by specialist23; 04-18-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialist23 View Post
We ended up going with a set of nitto motivo's. We were going to get the Toyo Proxes ST II as we had the ST I on a different suv and really liked them. Unfortunately the tire shop that we went through wasn't comfortable putting them on due to the size of our rims. Smaller shop.

So we ended up going through Discount Tire and getting the motivo's. Really enjoying them so far. We decided against the continentals because we had them on our 535 and didn't care for them. Felt very floaty as others have mentioned.

From the reviews I read, the nitto's outperformed the continentals on a lot of categories.

Just an fyi for another option.
Sounds like a great option
I know there a pretty looking tire
Any photos of the on ur truck?
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
OneFastX5 OneFastX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Silicon Valley, California
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Very happy with my TOYO Proxes STII, super quiet and smooth, and they have amazing thread. I won't be looking for other tires for my X5.
And I got the whole set of 20" staggered for $910 installed, can't beat that!
__________________
2011 BMW X5 35d 265HP 425TQ - Now with K&N & JBD Tuned !
2007 Audi Q7 3.6 280HP 266TQ
2000 Saleen Mustang 4.6 Supercharged 510HP 490TQ
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 PM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11leven View Post
My local discount tire was helping through and got Michelin latitude tour HP - boy what a difference. Crisp on turns , braking and comfort with out pull or vibration.

I live in fairly dry bay area and i think latitude tour HPs are perfect if snow is not a concern.
The Latitude Tour HPs are decent in the snow as well, switched to them in Sept and haven't had any issues this winter.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 PM
sarends sarends is offline
Bimmer Lover
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 71
Mein Auto: e70, e36, e34
They don't make the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in a size that fits the E70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Im going michelin super sports
__________________
11 X5 Xdrive 5.0 Sports AD
97 M3 Sedan
95 540i 6 Sport
12 Powerstroke Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
X5_Rob X5_Rob is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: '11 X6 50i; '05 X5 4.4
I just dumped my OEM RFT's for a set of Nitto Motivo's... Very happy with them and their 70% reduction in road noise volume. They also look very good and have a 560 tread wear rating..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_Rob View Post
I just dumped my OEM RFT's for a set of Nitto Motivo's... Very happy with them and their 70% reduction in road noise volume. They also look very good and have a 560 tread wear rating..
Any pics of them on ur car big rob
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
brian5 brian5 is offline
nothing today
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 167
Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Any pics of them on ur car big rob
Don't tires look like tires?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5 View Post
Don't tires look like tires?
That's funny you said that
I recently purchased a pair of continental dws tires
Well to my surprise the tread was a lot thicker on the dws than the bridgestones
Both tires were same exact specs
315/35/20 and 275/40/20
So much so that it actually changed the look of the whole wheel and look of the car
More winter time mountain all terrain vehicle
Ha
I like the sleek sporty look so I kept the bridgestones
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
DCC DCC is offline
BMW Fan
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 506
Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
That's funny you said that
I recently purchased a pair of continental dws tires
Well to my surprise the tread was a lot thicker on the dws than the bridgestones
Both tires were same exact specs
315/35/20 and 275/40/20
So much so that it actually changed the look of the whole wheel and look of the car
More winter time mountain all terrain vehicle
Ha
I like the sleek sporty look so I kept the bridgestones
Are you saying that the DWS are wider and higher profile looking for its given size?
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive35i
2011 M3 Sedan
2002 Z3M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
DCC DCC is offline
BMW Fan
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 506
Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11leven View Post
I changes to 20" Conti DWS and had vibration and pull to the right- braking too is not as good as RFT Dunlops and bouncy on bad roads.
No change even after exchanging different set and multiple alignments.

My local discount tire was helping through and got Michelin latitude tour HP - boy what a difference. Crisp on turns , braking and comfort with out pull or vibration.

I live in fairly dry bay area and i think latitude tour HPs are perfect if snow is not a concern.
This is an interesting feedback. So the tire change caused the car to feel like it went out of alignment?
Were the Dunlops RFT the original setup that came with the car?
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive35i
2011 M3 Sedan
2002 Z3M Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 PM
11leven 11leven is offline
Registered User
Location: BAY AREA,CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
This is an interesting feedback. So the tire change caused the car to feel like it went out of alignment?
Were the Dunlops RFT the original setup that came with the car?
Radial pull is what BMW attributed with DWS- they even verified the alignment by switching to Dunlop RFT's from another brand new car tires on the lot. I made them do the alignment atleast 4 times for $199 to make car go straight- but could not !

Yes- they came with 20' Dunlop RFT's
__________________

2012 X5d...with all possible pks & flowers...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 AM
DCC DCC is offline
BMW Fan
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 506
Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11leven View Post
Radial pull is what BMW attributed with DWS- they even verified the alignment by switching to Dunlop RFT's from another brand new car tires on the lot. I made them do the alignment atleast 4 times for $199 to make car go straight- but could not !

Yes- they came with 20' Dunlop RFT's
I always thought radial pull came from less expensive or not as well designed tires.
Would not have thought that the DWS would suffer from that symptom...
I guess i will find out when i try them on my x5, maybe i should have sprung for the Latitude Touring HP
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive35i
2011 M3 Sedan
2002 Z3M Coupe

Last edited by DCC; 04-26-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 AM
mountainman3520 mountainman3520 is offline
Registered User
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35d 2012
Looking to replace the OEM runflat Michelin's on my 2012 X5d. At 16K miles they are almost worn to the bars!

Looking for a diverse tire that will excel at high speed on curvy mountain roads under dry or wet conditions, and also function well in the snow since I spend a lot of winter weekends in the mountains.

I've been looking at the mainsteam tires on tirerack in 255/55R18 because I didn't know any better. So was leaning toward Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza in the W or V speed grade or Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia in V grade. Also looking at Michelin Latitude Tour HP with V rating and Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2.

But maybe I should look more at the less well known tire brands instead of these?

The Nitto Motivo sounds almost too good to be true. W speed grade with 60000 mile warranty? Wow.

What brands and models should be seriously considered for an X5d's 255/55R18 rims given my use conditions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
m3the01 m3the01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: '12 X5-35d AW-CI
Hi Guys,

Changing out the runflats, I have a winter setup for when we hit the mountains, so looking for something in for Cali South bay climate.

Whats the consensus now for a 20 inch setup?

Thanks,

PS thinking the Vredestein, great reviews. Anyone know somewhere in south bay i could pick these up?
__________________
'12 35D AW-CINN ZAP/ZC3/ZPP/ZTP/456-multicontour/2LE-20's/300-spare/220-self-leveling/4MS/752
www.playabonita.ca -- wifes bathing suit company -- pretty girls...

Last edited by m3the01; 07-15-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms