Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 AM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is offline
Original *****
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,270
Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
* I get new cars once a week, not weekly. Today they dropped off a $167,000 Mercedes-Benz.

- Mike
Rub it in our face why don't you?
__________________
Fc Bayern Deutschermeister ja so heißt er mein Verein,
Ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,090
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post

Performance aside, if I'm buying an M3 (which I will be), I want people to know I'm driving an M3. Call me vain.....
People don't debadge ///M3s. They do debage ///M328s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
IS-F = rebadged Toyota

M3 = BMW

What else do you need to know? How much IQ points makes one stupid? None, stupid and intelligent are not opposites. Quite a few intelligent people are stupid.

Anything else you need to know?
It's not about IQ points. People see Lexus and say "oh ok, lexus, a nice luxury car"...they have no idea that the IS-F is a really high end lexus. People see BMW and instantly think "high end"...they have no idea that the 328i is the low end model (no offense to my dead friends) and the ///M3 is the high end model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have owned both BMW and Lexus and that has not been my experience. My experience has only been with 2 BMW dealers and 2 Lexus dealers but I have found the service and the dealer experience for both brands to be excellent.
I love you CA, but I couldn't read more then what I just quoted. Sorry, too long. You lost me


@Emission - Stating you don't worry about reliability when you get a new car every week makes us want to slap you. My hatred knows no bounds when it comes to you.
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,690
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
I will ask, what is it that attracts you to either car? Does a sedan, or automatic transmission appeal? Or would you be more interested in a coupe, or traditional manual transmission?

And personally, I wouldn't even consider those two cars together. I know they are in the same class, but I would compare more similarly the M3 to the Audi RS4, and at the other side, the IS-F to the Mercedes C63 AMG. (Sorry to complicate things here, just bear with me.) The Audi and the M3 are both a little more purpose-focused I think. Both concentrate their efforts on honing what is already good and intended of both vehicles, and that is focusing on the driver, being connected to the road. The IS-F and the AMG I feel are in a little bit different category. These two rely on bigger, torquier V-8's, Automatic transmissions, more comfortable rides, and are gaudily styled to shout (literally) "Hey look at me!" There's not as much focus behind those two; You can tell they were ordinary sedans worked over in an attempt to be "M3 killers." But there's more to an M3 than big displacement, big wheels, and big exhaust pipes. Not saying the IS-F and AMG are bad cars, but I think they're different buyers. So, I've said all that to say this...

What are you looking for in your purchase? Something comfortable on the streets, that'll turn some heads and haul a** stop-light to stop-light? Or something that's crisper, and probably more at home on some curvy back roads? Does the coupe body-style the M3 offers mean anything to you? How about a Manual Transmission? Will you need all the fancy gadgets? And something in my head says that in 10 years, you'll still be in love with your M3, (and so will your friends and others.) I don't know if that would still be the case with a Lexus, of any kind...
+1

I'd buy a C63 in a heartbeat over an IS-F or an automatic M3. However, the M3 6MT is tops. Second place would be an S4 6MT.

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,690
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Rub it in our face why don't you?
I need to brag more, as I am often very quiet about what cars I am driving and my friends get pissed they never got to take a ride. This week's ride is a loaded S63 AMG with the Performance Package. A big fast boat. Come by for a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
@Emission - Stating you don't worry about reliability when you get a new car every week makes us want to slap you. My hatred knows no bounds when it comes to you.
I have two leased cars, and two old cars. I also get the press cars a few times a month (so, three cars are usually garaged at all times). The X5 lease is up in 29 days, and I likely won't replace it. I also work from home, so there is no commute.

Of course I "care" about reliability, but as a preventative measure I maintain the hell out of my cars (even checking tire pressures every other week on each car) and the only car to leave us "stranded" in the past five years has been the BMW X5 just last week. The other cars may hiccup here or there, but I wrench my own cars (and I own a parts company) so I actually enjoy the tinkering. Honestly, I choose fun over reliable. Not surprisingly, the "brand new" press cars have issues too.

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Justin T's Avatar
Justin T Justin T is offline
Launch Control Ready
Location: The TPC just off 485 in CLT
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,204
Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 14 550i
The C63 is lovely is you want a modern throw-back to late 60s muscle cars. The thing goes like stink in a straight line but that is about it...

The ISF, well, is a gamble. Toyota has not made anything sporting in terms of production cars for over a decade until recently. Add the fact that the thing looks goofy and the transmission sucks and I will pass.

Not sure I would compare the S4 to the M3...not very fair. The S4 is a great car, but an M3 it is not...
__________________
Thank god i got rid of the Z4...
Previous cars: 11 335i, 10 135i, 08 E90 M3, 07 E550 Mercedes, 03 Corvette Z06, 01 Audi S4, 89 Porsche 944 Turbo S, 88 BMW M6
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Many 'V' engines have true dual exhaust systems with one manifold, one one muffler, etc. for each cylinder bank.

CA
As soon as I made that post I realized I had my I6 engine in mind, a V8 would be different. So it is fair to say all of our cars fake the number of exhausts, whether the M3, IS-F, 335 or 328. I wouldn't hold the IS-F's fake exhausts against it too much.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,690
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
As soon as I made that post I realized I had my I6 engine in mind, a V8 would be different. So it is fair to say all of our cars fake the number of exhausts, whether the M3, IS-F, 335 or 328. I wouldn't hold the IS-F's fake exhausts against it too much.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think many of BMW's inline-6 engines have one manifold for each set of three cylinders... so, the dual exhaust is "real" (I don't know about quad pipes).

- Mike
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 AM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
As for the "spiritual" or "soul" mumbo jumbo arguments, I don't subscribe to the idea that cars have "souls". They have "characters" based on the performance, brand image, design, exhaust note, etc.

I would agree that you should test drive both and make your mind up.

You have unique priorities than the others here, and you have to see which car offers more of what you are looking for. For example, if you are talking about performance, do you care about the raw numbers (e.g. 0-60, slalom, braking, lap time, etc.) or do you care more about the experience of "connectedness" and personal engagement?

Since you seem to be concerned about the cost of maintaining either car, I can tell you NA engines from BMW are as reliable as anything made by the Japanese brand based on my experience with my past 5 BMWs. There is no denying that Toyota/Lexus has set the golden standard for reliability, and that is an impressive feat. BMW, on the other hand, has had more reliability issues historically. That generalization, however, can be very misleading if you are looking at specific models. Surely, the DCT will have more issues and will be more expensive to fix than the traditional 8sp automatic tranny on the IS-F, but that's the price you pay for the newer and more cutting edge technology.
I agree, good answer/advice...I do have "unique priorities" as I can afford the purchases, but after that. cannot afford a "money pit" situation, for sure. That is why reliability is SO HIGH on my priority list...driving experience must thrill, though and I am not willing to sacrifice too much in that area, however...
...as I plan to keep this car( and my other M3) a long time...well, yeah, reliability.
I had great luck with my1st BMW, an E46 325i...but then again, that was not a M3 or 335i, and was a more simple car?
Do you think the BEST CHANCE...at reliability in an M3 (or any BMW) would be to keep the "build" as simple as possible...NO mechanical roof(as in E93)...no DCT, ZCP, and any other electronic "nanny" options?
Would a 6MT be that much more trouble free than the DCT or is computer perfect shifts in the DCT more likely to outlast NOT perfect human shifting/clutching, hence doubling clutch/tranny wear which in time would match the cost of DCT?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
I will ask, what is it that attracts you to either car? Does a sedan, or automatic transmission appeal? Or would you be more interested in a coupe, or traditional manual transmission?

And personally, I wouldn't even consider those two cars together. I know they are in the same class, but I would compare more similarly the M3 to the Audi RS4, and at the other side, the IS-F to the Mercedes C63 AMG. (Sorry to complicate things here, just bear with me.) The Audi and the M3 are both a little more purpose-focused I think. Both concentrate their efforts on honing what is already good and intended of both vehicles, and that is focusing on the driver, being connected to the road. The IS-F and the AMG I feel are in a little bit different category. These two rely on bigger, torquier V-8's, Automatic transmissions, more comfortable rides, and are gaudily styled to shout (literally) "Hey look at me!" There's not as much focus behind those two; You can tell they were ordinary sedans worked over in an attempt to be "M3 killers." But there's more to an M3 than big displacement, big wheels, and big exhaust pipes. Not saying the IS-F and AMG are bad cars, but I think they're different buyers. So, I've said all that to say this...

What are you looking for in your purchase? Something comfortable on the streets, that'll turn some heads and haul a** stop-light to stop-light? Or something that's crisper, and probably more at home on some curvy back roads? Does the coupe body-style the M3 offers mean anything to you? How about a Manual Transmission? Will you need all the fancy gadgets? And something in my head says that in 10 years, you'll still be in love with your M3, (and so will your friends and others.) I don't know if that would still be the case with a Lexus, of any kind...
I LOVE Bimmerfest...it is helpful, for the most part ( except for those who have NO tolerance for what they perceive as STUPID threads or posts UNLESS it is THEIR "stupid" thread/post)
...I think you and others, ( who have reasoned intelligently with some objectivity, apart form the "haters")...have pretty much helped determine what I deep down really want...to stick it out with the leaders in "driver enthusiast" engineered cars...BECAUSE as you say, in 10 years, I still want to be "thrilled & amazed" with the iconic car with a ton of history & street cred...cannot say that about any Japanese car...yet?
The M3 is certain to do that.
Maybe if I keep the build "simple", this time, on this one...it can be a reasonably reliable "KEEPER"!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin t View Post
the c63 is lovely is you want a modern throw-back to late 60s muscle cars. The thing goes like stink in a straight line but that is about it...

The isf, well, is a gamble. Toyota has not made anything sporting in terms of production cars for over a decade until recently. Add the fact that the thing looks goofy and the transmission sucks and i will pass.

Not sure i would compare the s4 to the m3...not very fair. The s4 is a great car, but an m3 it is not...
+2 ( as to the S4...and Audi has horrible reliability, from what I have heard from others....?)

Last edited by 16n69; 06-30-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
enigma's Avatar
enigma enigma is offline
Fight On!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,537
Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
I agree, good answer/advice...I do have "unique priorities" as I can afford the purchases, but after that. cannot afford a "money pit" situation, for sure. That is why reliability is SO HIGH on my priority list...driving experience must thrill, though and I am not willing to sacrifice too much in that area, however...
...as I plan to keep this car( and my other M3) a long time...well, yeah, reliability.
I had great luck with my1st BMW, an E46 325i...but then again, that was not a M3 or 335i, and was a more simple car?
Do you think the BEST CHANCE...at reliability in an M3 (or any BMW) would be to keep the "build" as simple as possible...NO mechanical roof(as in E93)...no DCT, ZCP, and any other electronic "nanny" options?
Would a 6MT be that much more trouble free than the DCT or is computer perfect shifts in the DCT more likely to outlast NOT perfect human shifting/clutching, hence doubling clutch/tranny wear which in time would match the cost of DCT?
If your priority is reliability, yes, keep the build as simple as possible.

M3 manual tranny should outlast the automatic tranny from Lexus (or any other brand for that matter). You should also skip the iDrive and automatic seats. There is also another positive side to keeping it simple = lower weight = better driving experience, which the M3 is all about.
__________________

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Z4AllMine Z4AllMine is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 Roadster
Obviously, forum members here are going to be biased. Nothing wrong with a Lexus, dependable, reliable and I'm guessing, no where near the fun of driving an M3. Personally, I own a Z4 Roadster but just test drove a brand new M3 for the first time a couple days ago. While the M3 is faster, my Roadster is more fun to drive and handles better; either car will be markedly more fun than driving a Lexus. If you don't mind driving a car with an automatic transmission. and you also don't mind never experiencing "BMW Joy," then knock yourself out. If you trade vodka for warm milk, then you know you got big troubles! Good luck with your decision, Faith.
__________________
BMW: The Ultimate Repair Bill
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM
sba110 sba110 is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4AllMine View Post
Obviously, forum members here are going to be biased. Nothing wrong with a Lexus, dependable, reliable and I'm guessing, no where near the fun of driving an M3. Personally, I own a Z4 Roadster but just test drove a brand new M3 for the first time a couple days ago. While the M3 is faster, my Roadster is more fun to drive and handles better; either car will be markedly more fun than driving a Lexus.
This - objectively speaking - isn't true. The IS-F is a lot faster than your Z4 around some corners and in a straight line. The Z4 is not a car that's made for handling. It's a roadster. It doesn't handle badly, but without even a limited slip differential, it's not in the same league as the M3.

IMO, buying a M3 only makes sense if you can appreciate the car for what it is because you're spending a lot of money on it. It's not a roadster; nothing about it is built with just touring in mind. Maybe I misread your post, but I can tell you that comparing the Z4 and M3 in terms of handling does not make any sense - in the same way that comparing a 328i to an M3 also doesn't make sense. Very different cars for different purposes.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-09-2011, 11:56 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,986
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba110 View Post
This - objectively speaking - isn't true. The IS-F is a lot faster than your Z4 around some corners and in a straight line. The Z4 is not a car that's made for handling. It's a roadster. It doesn't handle badly, but without even a limited slip differential, it's not in the same league as the M3.

IMO, buying a M3 only makes sense if you can appreciate the car for what it is because you're spending a lot of money on it. It's not a roadster; nothing about it is built with just touring in mind. Maybe I misread your post, but I can tell you that comparing the Z4 and M3 in terms of handling does not make any sense - in the same way that comparing a 328i to an M3 also doesn't make sense. Very different cars for different purposes.
Why would a roadster not handle well, particularly one that has a solid build like the Z4?
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Z4AllMine Z4AllMine is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Why would a roadster not handle well, particularly one that has a solid build like the Z4?
My Z4 handles great; I respectfully have to disagree with sba110. Of course the M3 and Z4 are 2 different vehicles but I've driven both and while the M3 was certainly faster, it did not handle as well as my car around turns.. The Z4 is more of a sports car while the M3 is more of a muscle car. My personal preference is to drive a BMW over any Lexus model, but that's not to say anything is wrong with driving a Lexus; it's merely subjective.
__________________
BMW: The Ultimate Repair Bill

Last edited by Z4AllMine; 07-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 PM
logicalthought logicalthought is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4AllMine View Post
My Z4 handles great;... The Z4 is more of a sports car while the M3 is more of a muscle car.
I'd call the M3 more of a "sports/GT" than a "muscle car," as "muscle car" implies lousy brakes and iffy handling, but frankly, I don't understand why anyone would get a Z4 instead of a Boxster S!

Last edited by logicalthought; 07-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Z4AllMine Z4AllMine is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
I don't understand why anyone would get a Z4 instead of a Boxster S!
Everyone has different taste and what you may value isn't necessarily what someone else may value; hence, there are Z4 fans and Boxster S fans.
__________________
BMW: The Ultimate Repair Bill
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 AM
enigma's Avatar
enigma enigma is offline
Fight On!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,537
Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4AllMine View Post
My Z4 handles great; I respectfully have to disagree with sba110. Of course the M3 and Z4 are 2 different vehicles but I've driven both and while the M3 was certainly faster, it did not handle as well as my car around turns.. The Z4 is more of a sports car while the M3 is more of a muscle car. My personal preference is to drive a BMW over any Lexus model, but that's not to say anything is wrong with driving a Lexus; it's merely subjective.
I own both the M4 and the Z4MC, and prior to the Z4MC, I had a Z4R. They were configured similarly with the manual tranny, so, I believe I can make a fair assessment of the two. The Z4MC is very "raw" and takes focus to drive well, but it rewards you when you do master it. The M3 is a lot more refined and forgiving (and heavier), but it's a load of fun when pushed. I wouldn't call one more "fun" than the other. They are very different in their approach, but if I had to pick one today, I would go with the M3 just because it does so many things so well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
I'd call the M3 more of a "sports/GT" than a "muscle car," as "muscle car" implies lousy brakes and iffy handling, but frankly, I don't understand why anyone would get a Z4 instead of a Boxster S!
Have you test-driven a Z4 (e85/86) to make this comment? They are similar, yet very far apart. One is a mid-engine car that handles fantastically, and the other a front I-6 high-rev'ing, raw car that is arguably more fun to drive.

The new Z4 (e89), on the other hand, has moved upscale and more refined to compete in that space. While the e85/e86 had the Boxster/Cayman as the primary competition, I think the e89 appeals more to the MB SLK buyers.

I can understand why someone would buy the Z4 or the Boxster because they appeal to a different crowd. I can't, however, understand people who make it such a dry-cut statement about people who choose to buy the Z4.
__________________

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 AM
logicalthought logicalthought is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
>>Have you test-driven a Z4 (e85/86) to make this comment?<<

In fairness I have not. However, I have driven the Boxster many times and read many, many head-to-head reviews in which the Boxster has almost ALWAYS come out on top.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 AM
mujjuman mujjuman is offline
tappa tappa toit
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,692
Mein Auto: hoopty
It's your own choice. For me, M3 all the way because I'm a BMW guy not a Lexus guy. But I think the ISF is a pretty cool car. Just not for me.
__________________
mujjuman
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,986
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
>>Have you test-driven a Z4 (e85/86) to make this comment?<<

In fairness I have not. However, I have driven the Boxster many times and read many, many head-to-head reviews in which the Boxster has almost ALWAYS come out on top.
Therein lays the problem, in making bold statements without any first hand experience!
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 AM
logicalthought logicalthought is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
>>Therein lays the problem, in making bold statements without any first hand experience!<<

I don't see it as a "problem" at all, as I'm perfectly willing to trust the experience of scores of full-time professional testers. Hell, I didn't test-drive my M3 before I bought it, either; I just read everything I could on it vs. the competition and made my decision.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM
PhillyNate's Avatar
PhillyNate PhillyNate is offline
BMWCCA Member #405750
Location: Isn't it obvious
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,449
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
>>Therein lays the problem, in making bold statements without any first hand experience!<<

I don't see it as a "problem" at all, as I'm perfectly willing to trust the experience of scores of full-time professional testers. Hell, I didn't test-drive my M3 before I bought it, either; I just read everything I could on it vs. the competition and made my decision.
I'll do you one better. I test drove an M3 only once for about 10 minutes over a year ago. A used 2008 with 34k miles. I was not very impressed as I recall. I bought one last month. Now I'm impressed. VERY.
Some publications give you an excellent feel for cars that you haven't driven. But ultimately there's no replacement for driving.
__________________

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by PhillyNate; 07-10-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Z4AllMine Z4AllMine is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philly
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 103
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 Roadster
Gentlemen,

If I may add one other thought . . . When we like an object or a person, it is sometimes difficult to understand why others don't feel like we do. There is a tendency to take our preferences as"facts" and disregard others' points of view. Here's what went into my decision-making process for my car: Z3s and Z4s always caught my eye and if I'm really honest, engendered a bit of envy. When I test drove my Z4, it had everything I wanted: a sporty feel, manual transmission, a convertible top and the fine BMW reputation. I never even considered a Porsche. Speaking strictly for me, Porsches did nothing for me (although I have no doubt they're fine cars). I needed something to get me to and from my office and that would be fun to drive on weekends. We bring the sum total of our likes and dislikes to our decisions, and they are a unique synthesis of our emotions and logic. We all don't have to think alike or we'd all be driving the same car, but we do need to respect other's preferences. IMHO. Warm regards, Faith
__________________
BMW: The Ultimate Repair Bill
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-10-2011, 01:38 PM
logicalthought logicalthought is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 149
Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4AllMine View Post
Gentlemen,

If I may add one other thought . . . When we like an object or a person, it is sometimes difficult to understand why others don't feel like we do. There is a tendency to take our preferences as"facts" and disregard others' points of view. Here's what went into my decision-making process for my car: Z3s and Z4s always caught my eye and if I'm really honest, engendered a bit of envy. When I test drove my Z4, it had everything I wanted: a sporty feel, manual transmission, a convertible top and the fine BMW reputation. I never even considered a Porsche. Speaking strictly for me, Porsches did nothing for me (although I have no doubt they're fine cars). I needed something to get me to and from my office and that would be fun to drive on weekends. We bring the sum total of our likes and dislikes to our decisions, and they are a unique synthesis of our emotions and logic. We all don't have to think alike or we'd all be driving the same car, but we do need to respect other's preferences. IMHO. Warm regards, Faith
Wow, and they used to say the Boxster was "a chick car"!

(Lol, sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms