Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I agree on the "defections" to the GT maybe not being cash driven, although when you look at the 7 series dash, rear seat room and the other features that take a cue from the 7, and add in the utilitarianism of the GT, it becomes a difficult choice for some buyers to pony up 25K or more for a similarly equipped 7 with what equates to less overall room. poorer fuel mileage, etc.

Given the prestige factor, of course the 7 would win, if that's the objective. Snobbism always wins at the polo club. LOL. I say that tongue in cheek, as when a Land Rover pull in, the person with the Range Rover rolls his eyes knowingly as if the "bastard of the breed" has arrived. Once again, it's that 40K of green that separated the players.

I'm happy with the GT. More so than just about anything I've had in the past. It doesn't have the huge seat of the pants kick acceleration of some vehicles I've had, but it can pass lots of gas stations without refueling too. Super comfortable for highway trips, excellent handling and styling that sets it apart. Not a clone of something...although there seems to be more trying to be clones of the GT.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
With regard to the original interview, the following has always bothered me somewhat:

"the GT is luring owners of the more-expensive 7-series sedan instead"

Now I'm not in the market for a 7-series, but an immediate family member has long been a BMW buyer who is currently in the market for a car in this class. What's interesting to me is that he considered a 5-series (or GT) over a 7, but price was not in any way part of the equation (other options being evaluated range from a Panamera Turbo to Quattroporte to A8). Whichever car is added to the stable, it seems to me that the belief that 7 series "defections" are primarily cash driven may be missing something....[/QUOTE]

You're right on target. The MSRP on my GT would have allowed me to get into a nice 750i. Second I put a deposit down and ordered my car a week after the US release in December 2009 after the MIA Int'l car show . So I didn't get any discounts and/or incentives and I am still not mad If I wanted a 7 I would have bought one, although the GT is in essence a 5 door 7 Series. It is also the quietest 500hp car I have ever owned
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Although the F07 is closer to the F01 than the F10, I still didn't find a significant enough difference between to F10 and the F01 to justify the cost differential. Although I toyed with the idea of getting a Panamera Turbo, my final selection came down to the 550xi and the Alpina B7x. The Alpina had some nice touches, but it couldn't compete with the cost advantage of F10 (even equipped $10k in preplanned mods). Hopefully, the BMWNA isn't reading this post.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: LOL
I never really understood the naming... why "GT?" Isn't a granturismo supposed to be a racing vehicle. If they were looking to replace the 5 series estate with this, I can see why they missed the market. I will say I very much like the front but not the rear of the GT.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Gran Turismo means Grand Touring and the GT meets that mark. Many of the GT vehicles destined as Grand Touring vehicles were in fact racers but many more ere never destined as such. Here's a great page on what the GT marque means, very well done by Wikipedia. Can you believe a Bentley and a Saab? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer
Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport

Hmmmm Ė just back from a 3 week work trip to St. Petersburg, Russia and Florence, Italy and Ė inexplicably Ė we are still beating the same dead horse that we flogged weeks ago. Rather than that never ending necrophilia, --Make glue, already.

Automobile Mag had an interesting comment about the 1M in the August issue which is apropos. ďItís one of those rare cars thatís so good that it shrugs off flaws: if there is something about it that you donít like, itís because you donít get it.Ē

To Paraphrase Ė my 550i GT is so good that it shrugs off flaws: if there is something about it you donít like, itís because you donít get it.

(BTW, I am seriously considering adding a 1M to my garageÖas a matter of fact-o-mundo).

Remember Folks, the Race-Horse Cemetery is not a red-light district.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 911s 535 s550
5GT and traded in Benz S550?

Traded S550 for 5GT. This will be fourth 7 series chassie. Had 528,Z3,325,318 to small.
Went to Bens for S430 then S550 go cars but cant get big dog in. Have 3 SUV but not good on gas! 911s hold big dog but he cant move only wind surfs. So now back to BMW.
At 6'1" cant get into A7, CLS550 rear door. Panamera great but $30k more.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgoss View Post
Traded S550 for 5GT. This will be fourth 7 series chassie. Had 528,Z3,325,318 to small.
Went to Bens for S430 then S550 go cars but cant get big dog in. Have 3 SUV but not good on gas! 911s hold big dog but he cant move only wind surfs. So now back to BMW.
At 6'1" cant get into A7, CLS550 rear door. Panamera great but $30k more.
Welcome to the BMW GT Club

Nickey, the Official authority on back seat accommodations, has the results:
A7: Fail ---- CLS550: Fail ---- Panamera: Fail ---- BMW GT: WINNING!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In the GT July 2011600.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	286515  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Nicely done! Looks like a Malinois?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Nicely done! Looks like a Malinois?
Thanks - Nick is not a Malinois - not that is anything wrong with a Malinois - I knew many guys who had them when I was actively training in Schutzhund/DVD protection sport. Malinois are fast, sharp dogs - many gave the appearance of being sharks on paws. Nick is a very large big boned German shepherd who weighs in at about 95lbs. Nick is not only my companion, best trail bud, and protector, but also as a very sophisticated - albeit expensive - German anti-theft device. Nick tolerated my 335i vert - he loves the GT.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 PM

Mea Culpa...the dark snout threw me off. I have worked with K9 patrols while on duty and loved the dogs. In all my years only saw one who came unglued. He took a perps ear off when the perp was already down, after losing guidance from his handler. The perp deserved more than that, but rules are rules. The handler failed to report an earlier incident of command failure and the dog was removed from duty for retraining, as was the handler, Dog never returned to duty, now resides with the handler as his companion and pet. Sad case though as I think the dog was snarter than the handler who let the dog have more latitude than he should hve and let him roam too far. But what do I know...I wasn't a handler, nor was I ever bit OTJ either!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Mea Culpa...the dark snout threw me off. I have worked with K9 patrols while on duty and loved the dogs. In all my years only saw one who came unglued. He took a perps ear off when the perp was already down, after losing guidance from his handler. The perp deserved more than that, but rules are rules. The handler failed to report an earlier incident of command failure and the dog was removed from duty for retraining, as was the handler, Dog never returned to duty, now resides with the handler as his companion and pet. Sad case though as I think the dog was snarter than the handler who let the dog have more latitude than he should hve and let him roam too far. But what do I know...I wasn't a handler, nor was I ever bit OTJ either!
Nick engaging in a little Schutzhund hyperbole -

Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM

ahh..and how appropriate he should be after the Porsche culprit! LOL