Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Calm, Cool and Collected

Mein Auto: 2003 745i/2003 F-350 SD
reset the "check brake linings" message?

OK, did my brakes yesterday. New rotors and pads front and rear, piece of cake. I also replaced the sensors front and rear. However, the "check brake liners" and the "brake" light have not reset. I remember either reading or hearing that there is a little trick to resetting these after new brakes are installed. What is it?

Thanks.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand ?

There are no atheists on the battlefield - God bless our troops.

Last edited by Aye Chingow!; 03-15-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Calm, Cool and Collected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye Chingow!
OK, did my brakes yesterday. New rotors and pads front and rear, piece of cake. I also replaced the sensors front and rear. However, the "check brake liners" and the "brake" light have not reset. I remember either reading or hearing that there is a little trick to resetting these after new brakes are installed. What is it?

Thanks.
Nevermind, found the answer in another thread. In case anybody else wants to know, here is the answer from Dave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
Turn the ignition key to position 2, but do NOT start the car. Wait for about 45 seconds and the brake warning message will be reset.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Calm, Cool and Collected

I just wanted to add, I can't BELIEVE how much the dealer and shops want to do this job! This was my first attempt and with a little research (mostly here) and some foreplanning it only took me a couple of hours. Most of that was just figuring out the first one. After that, it was about 20 minutes a corner... and I saved myself about $500 in labor...

Old 12-11-2004, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 325 ci 2001
Thanks for the tip!!!

I can't believe this worked for me too!!! Turn the key in the ignition without starting the car and wait a few seconds until the brake light disappears!!!
Thanks a million guys!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 523i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye Chingow!
I just wanted to add, I can't BELIEVE how much the dealer and shops want to do this job! This was my first attempt and with a little research (mostly here) and some foreplanning it only took me a couple of hours. Most of that was just figuring out the first one. After that, it was about 20 minutes a corner... and I saved myself about $500 in labor...
When you pushed back the pistons in teh brake calipers, did you open the bleed valve or just remove some fluid from the reservoir and push the fluid out that way?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
a.k.a. Joe

Mein Auto: 2001 540 i
Question Need DIY for 540 Brakes

Hey

I was wondering if you can tell me DIY for replacing the brakes on my 2001 540i ? Is there a single thread that has the DIY instructions or do I have to read through Bimmerfest like I'm fishing in a lake ?

What type pads are recommended? I've heard there are pads available that don't put off the asbestos material that cruds up the front wheels... Also, are rotors always required to be replaced ? And what is the procedure for seating the pads that I keep reading about ?

I've done a lot of mechanicing and don't feel uncomfortable doing the work, but it sure helps to have up front pointers.

Thanks

Leadfoot
Old 05-22-2005, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 328ci
Just want to say thanks for posting this info! My husband was having one of those nothing is going right days and this was the last thing on his list, to change the sensor. Then the warning light wouldn't go off and he was ready to throw stuff. I searched, found and !! Thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Turn the ignition key to position 2, but do NOT start the car. Wait for about 45 seconds and the brake warning message will be reset.
Does this nice tidbit work to reset all warning indicators or just the brake warning lamp indication?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:54 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to DZeckhausen
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW F30 328i 8-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot
I was wondering if you can tell me DIY for replacing the brakes on my 2001 540i ? Is there a single thread that has the DIY instructions or do I have to read through Bimmerfest like I'm fishing in a lake ?
You may find Mike K's DIY for the M3 pads to be helpful. The 540i is similar. The only difference is that it's easier to pull out the pad wear sensors on the 540i, since there's a "handle" on them to grab.

Front pads: http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_front_brake_pads.shtml
Rear pads: http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_rear_brake_pads.shtml

Quote:
What type pads are recommended? I've heard there are pads available that don't put off the asbestos material that cruds up the front wheels...
You won't find asbestos pads any more. Legislated out of existance. Most people are happy with the Axxis Deluxe Plus pads as a low dust, low cost alternative to the factory pads.
Quote:
Also, are rotors always required to be replaced ?
No. Only replace the rotors if they are worn out or if you are having a judder problem when braking. How do you tell if they are worn out? BMW specifies a maximum of 1.6mm of allowable rotor wear. Since the 540i front rotors started out at 30mm thick, that means they can get down to 28.4mm before you should throw them out. (528i front rotors start out at only 22mm thick, so they should be discarded at 20.4mm.) The rear rotors started out at 20mm thick, so you need to toss them at 18.4mm. (528i uses the same rear rotors as the 540i.)
Quote:
And what is the procedure for seating the pads that I keep reading about?
That's called "bedding" the brakes and you can find a write-up on my web site: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

------
2012 BMW F30 328i Luxury Line 8-Speed
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade

2001 BMW E39 540i 6-Speed (Traded-in for F30)
StopTech 4-wheel big brake upgrade
M5 Limited Slip Differential, Front Swaybar
Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Strut Tower Brace
Rogue Short Shifter, Transmission Mounts
European Dash Conversion
CDV deleted
Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: yukon denali
Great info

Great info and links in this thread. Thx a million. Doing the brakes on my 540i6 this weekend and will definitely refer back to this thread.
~Ace
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Nice bump-up!