Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Which brand or What to look for in a battery charger.

Anyone recommend a certain brand, or can I just choose based on the chargers capabilities. Would like to get one today from the store which is why I wanted to know what requirements to look for. If a specific brand is the best to get then i can settle by ordering on line and waiting a few days.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
You need a smart charger that can float the battery once it reaches full charge. A trickle charger does not do this. Battery Tender brand are cheap and they're what BMW rebrands. My friend has a Schumacher INC 700a that has a wide variety of features, and he's very happy with it. Obviously that's in a different price range, but it exceeds BMW's specifications for an in house charger.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
Anyone recommend a certain brand, or can I just choose based on the chargers capabilities. Would like to get one today from the store which is why I wanted to know what requirements to look for. If a specific brand is the best to get then i can settle by ordering on line and waiting a few days.
Battery Tender plus from Deltran. $46.65 from Amazon. It is the same one you would get from BMW for more money. I have been using one for 3 + years on my Bimmer.

* Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger; a quick connect harness for use in hard to reach areas
* Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell)
* Complete 4-step charging program (initialization, bulk charge, absorption mode and float mode) that maintains batteries at full charge without overcharging via its 4-step charging system
* Automatically switches to float/maintenance mode voltage after fully charging the battery
* Temperature compensated to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature, and spark proof and reverse polarity protected; 10-year limited warranty

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...9568816&sr=8-1

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
After my Battery Tender plus died last year I replaced it with a CTEK 7002.

CTEK make some of the most advanced chargers on the market. I like the $90 7002 over the smaller $55 3300 because it has a desulphation mode which will recover slightly sulphated batteries.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Well I'm off to the store. I'll post what I buy if they have anything worth it. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 325i/325ic/328ic/540i/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
After my Battery Tender plus died last year I replaced it with a CTEK 7002.

CTEK make some of the most advanced chargers on the market. I like the $90 7002 over the smaller $55 3300 because it has a desulphation mode which will recover slightly sulphated batteries.
I bought this charger a couple months ago, after reading your suggestion when I first bought the car. I live in New Jersey and don't drive the car too much because I take public transportation into NYC. I don't have a garage and winters here are pretty bad.

My question is, can I use this regularly? How do I connect it? Directly to the battery? Also in the winter I was planning on putting a car cover and just attaching the charger. Again I don't have a garage, but I do have an outlet next to the driveway. Is this ok to do?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

So I picked up a charger while I was out "Impulse" buying.....LOL.

Got it for about $30 bucks. Just pulled the battery out the 6er and I am charging it on my balcony. No plugs in the Condo basement but at work I can pull the car inside and charge away. I just want to top this battery off and then monitor how the car does when I keep it charged every few days.

So what you think Yorgi??

Last edited by All-Or-Nothing; 07-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Got it for about $30 bucks. Just pulled the battery out the 6er and I am charging it on my balcony. No plugs in the Condo basement but at work I can pull the car inside and charge away. I just want to top this battery off and then monitor how the car does when I keep it charged every few days.

I don't think that is a battery tender/trickle/maintenance charger, but a full on battery charger and not meant to be used for long periods.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316

Last edited by djfitter; 07-02-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
I don't think that is a battery tender/trickle/maintenance charger, but a full on battery charger and not meant to be used for long periods.

dj

dj

Yeah I know. I have a battery I want to charge back to full. I ordered a CTEK 7002 off Amazon so I got this to bring back my old battery.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know. I have a battery I want to charge back to full. I ordered a CTEK 7002 off Amazon so I got this to bring back my old battery.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

I am topping off the battery I have in my 6er right now. When it is fully charged again I will be using the 7002 at work to keep it charged. I just wanted to start with a fully charged battery to see how the acts with me using the 7002 regularly. I am also going to fully charge my old battery and if it works fine I can put it in the M5.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
The Ctek 7002 has a reconditioning mode. I would wait and use that instead for the old battery. I've done it and it works great.
And one of these mounted under the hood tells you when to do a maintenance charge and it has a plug for the CTek.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CTEK_Comfort_Indicator_Panel.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	283659
Old 07-04-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofrank View Post
...My question is, can I use this regularly? How do I connect it? Directly to the battery? Also in the winter I was planning on putting a car cover and just attaching the charger. Again I don't have a garage, but I do have an outlet next to the driveway. Is this ok to do?
Thanks
You have two choices with CTEK.
1) Attach the standard alligator clips then charge under the hood. The charger is small enough that you can place it in a low spot then close the hood on it. The good thing about this method is the charge is registered by the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which should improve the life of the battery.
2) Attach the permanent cable to the battery in the trunk. You can close the trunk lid on the extension cord this way too. The charger will be less exposed to the elements in the trunk.

The charger can survive the cold no problem under the hood or in the trunk. If you are using a car cover I would leave the charger connected and plug in the extension cord once a month or maybe once every two weeks to be safe and let it run all weekend. The TIS says the car can go 6 weeks between charges if the car is sitting in a showroom for example but I think that is pushing it with the car sitting in freezing conditions and a battery that is not new.

Check out the pics at the bottom of this thread for connecting to the battery.

Last edited by Yorgi; 07-05-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: missing word!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:

There is not much info on the net about that model so I can't really say how good it is or what the specs are. I found out iFONIX is a Manila based company, that's about it

The charger looks decent with the big heat sinks but like others have said I cannot tell if it will do a proper battery maintenance charge like the CTEKs. Should be fine for bringing a low battery back up to charged.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
has a passion for cars

Mein Auto: 07 650i cab / 08 335i cab
I use a CTEK Multi-use 3300 3.3A Battery Charger when I know my ride will be sitting in the garage for a while

2008 E93 335i Black Sapphire Metallic / Saddle Brown

1997 E31 840Ci Black / Black

[SIZE="3"]2004 E46 ///M3 Laguna Seca Blue / Black
Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
You have two choices with CTEK.
1) Attach the standard alligator clips then charge under the hood. The charger is small enough that you can place it in a low spot then close the hood on it. The good thing about this method is the charge is registered by the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which should improve the life of the battery.[/URL]

I would prefer to have it charge under the hood so it's registered with the IBS. Excuse my ignorance but do you have pictures of it attached under the hood? Just want to make sure I have it right.

Thanks

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Here is a shot of how I would position the CTEK if I wanted to close the hood. Normally I clamp the alligator clips from above so they are positioned more vertical but you need to lay them flat if you plan on closing the hood.

Every time I take a pic of my engine bay it reminds me I need to detail it, dust really shows with a flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	650i_CTEK_Hookup_LR.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	284145  

Last edited by Yorgi; 07-07-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Here is a shot of how I would position the CTEK if I wanted to close the hood. Normally I clamp the alligator clips from above so they are positioned more vertical but you need to lay them flat if you plan on closing the hood.

Every time I take a pic of my engine bay it reminds me I need to detail it, dust really shows with a flash.
Thank you Yorgi. Now go clean that engine!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
Do you think the IBS would register if we used the cigarette lighter socket via this adapter?

CTEK 56-263 Comfort Connect Cig Socket

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Co.../dp/B0016LA5O8

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlMMY View Post
Do you think the IBS would register if we used the cigarette lighter socket via this adapter?

CTEK 56-263 Comfort Connect Cig Socket

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Co.../dp/B0016LA5O8
You can't charge via the cigarette lighter socket. The electrical system is a smart system, it only stays active for 15 minutes (or so?), never tested the exact time until it goes into "sleep mode". But the TIS manual expressly points out that you should trickle charge via the terminals under the hood. And that you cannot charge via the cabin socket since it goes through a relay that shuts down.