Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3Cic
oil filter housing gasket replacement notes (2005 X3 3.0i)

Good news to those with a 2005 3.0i X3 (mfg date 9/04)...the oil filter housing gasket replacement isn't as big a PITA as it could be. You don't need to pull the fan, radiator, coolant hoses, etc.

Search/check around for the various DIY for the replacement, but ignore anything about removing the fan, etc. Once you disconnect the battery, unplug the oil pressure sensor, MAF, etc and remove the airbox and assorted trim pieces. Unbolt the power steering fluid reservoir from the oil filter housing and push it aside out of the way. Note how the serpentine belt is routed (a picture helps!), then release the tension on the serpentine belt and remove it from the alternator and power steering pulleys. Now you can disconnect/remove the alternator and then unbolt the power steering pump (two bolts circled in orange); on my X3 with a mechanical tensioner the two bolts holding the alternator on were easily accessible without removing anything else. That will give you plenty of room to work on the filter housing itself. You might take this opportunity to degrease/clean the housing and surrounding area with some Simple green or equivalent.

Unbolt the banjo bolt on the back of the oil filter housing and then the six M8 bolts holding the housing to the block (circled in green)...remember to keep track of where they go because they are NOT interchangable. Pull the housing off to the right, remove it from the engine bay, and replace the gasket. Check the Welch plugs for any sign of leakage, but if there is none you can start putting everything back together. If there is...there is a DIY in this forum someplace on fixing that with some sealant.

Reassembly is simply the reverse of what you did to take everything apart. I did use antiseize on the alternator/power steering bolts. Check for oil leaks, especially around the banjo bolt.

These are the torque values I used or at least considered:
M8 bolts filter housing to block: 22Nm
M10 bolts on alternator/power steering pump: 43 Nm <----update; that doesn't seem nearly snug enough. I went back and torqued them to ~54 Nm.
Banjo bolt: 32Nm *** that's the spec, good luck getting a torque wrench back there.
B+ wire on alternator: 8 Nm *** again, that's the spec, but I think 8 Nm falls into the 'snug down' category.
Click image for larger version

Name:	X3_oil_filter_housing.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	441159

Last edited by rwfisher; 05-26-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: updated torque on alternator bolts.
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Thanks rwfisher, that's good to know. I'm getting ready to replace the OFHG on my '05 3.0i.

One question: What are the Welch plugs you speak of?

TIA,
Ish
Old 05-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
Thanks rwfisher, that's good to know. I'm getting ready to replace the OFHG on my '05 3.0i.

One question: What are the Welch plugs you speak of?

TIA,
Ish
When the oil filter housing is machined there are a couple of places where they drill/mill out a channel that needs to be closed off before the part is used. To do so, a round plate is pressed into the channel. They're sometimes called 'freeze plugs', which (AFAIK) serve a different purpose....

Here's a link that shows where they are on the oil filter housing:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414315
Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Ok, gotcha. I'm pretty sure mine weren't leaking.

Did my gasket Saturday along with the pulleys and belts so I did remove the fan anyway. I didn't have to remove the radiator or disconnect any coolant hoses. All seems OK so far. I'm going to check for leaks again after a few days.

Thanks for the reply, I learned something else today!
Ish