Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-23-2016, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: 97 BMWE39 528i
bmw e39 rough idle and poor low end power

good day . wonder if anyone can give me some advice on my car's issue. I drive a 97 e39 528i auto.
Around a month ago , my car developed a misfire. Took it to a local bmw mechanic who put it on his diagnostic machine and then proceeded to change ignition coil on cylinder no 2 which sorted the car out . Ran perfectly for about 3 weeks and then developed the same symptoms of a misfire , took it back to the mechanic who then said it was a vacuum leak , but could not attend to the issue at that time. I then asked a mechanic friend of mine to have a look. We have checked all the ignition coils,done a compression test (175psi), replaced the ccv,(after doing a smoke test) checked all the piping for cracks or breaks, cleaned the O2 sensors, checked the MAF sensor, changed the spark plugs , reset the error code, which reads output satge oxygen,sensor heater, sensor 1, cylinders 1-3, before cat. Conv Z3 and 323I US only, this affects cylinders 1-6) but still no joy !! The car idles very roughly , and hesitates on acceleration , but is fine as the revs pick up , but as soon as you come to a stop the rough idle is there . Love the car , but not enjoying the drive at the moment !! any advice from someone who has experienced similar problems , or someone who can point me in the right direction. Sorry for the long story .
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2016, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 525i (2000)
Hi, I found this guy very good on youtube ( 50skid ) Have you checked DISA 'O' ring, or valve cover gasket. also Vanos could be part of the problem, hope you get it fixed.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Yeah it's your vanos unit man the seals go bad after 60k miles
Old 10-23-2016, 12:49 PM
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)

Mein Auto: 03 530iA Sport
Probably your Vanos seals, as others have mentioned. I am suffering the same problem (to a lesser degree) in my 143k-mile M54B30.

Seabiscuit: 03-11-03 e39 530i Sport, Steptronic, Black/Black
Totaled (by me!) & Rebuilt in Fall 2014
Completed Work: Maintenance; Silver gauge rings; ECS Tuning SS Brake Hoses; Koni FSD "Golds"; Meyle rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads (no dust, no bite); BMW blue-painted calipers; Aux retrofit; Canholder delete; Ultimate Cup Holders; Custom IKE coding; "BMW" valve stem dust caps; Euro lower dash; GAS DISA rebuild + coolant cap.
Bold text is best mod!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i sports package
For what it's worth had a chrysler 300 that threw codes for misfire. I changed plugs, manifold gasket, ignition coil, fuel injector, turned out to be the egr valve.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 97 BMWE39 528i
thanks guys for the info and advice guys. I will only get a chance to work on the car over the coming weekend, but will be sure to keep you all updated on whats going on. Hope you all have a good week ahead. Cheers
Old 10-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
AFAIK, no DISA on an M52.

VANOS cause is unlikely, since the problem only recently surfaced. Check here, too: http://www.beisansystems.com/index.html

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search