Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Exclamation Programming & Owners Manuals

My 2011 535i GT was completely reprogrammed last week and the performance has improved significantly. I started to do some research and noted that the 2010 and 2011 owners manuals on line (the 2011 manual was not available on line a short while back) have some different information in them. Also the iDrive screen in the manuals shows differently (BMW Assist for the 2010 vs ConnectedDrive for the 2011.

The paper owners manuals in our 2010 and 2011 are both identical 2010 manuals, and the iDrive displays were identical until the reprogramming on the 2011. I believe that it's quite possible that some, if not all, earlier production 2011's were programmed with the 2010 data, and some necessary program changes resulted in engine management issues.

The one remaining issue, the intermittent buzzing that sounds like a woodpecker, has also disappeared with the reprogramming, although a valve is on order to assure it's gone for good.

Just a heads up.
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
My 2011 535i GT was completely reprogrammed last week and the performance has improved significantly. I started to do some research and noted that the 2010 and 2011 owners manuals on line (the 2011 manual was not available on line a short while back) have some different information in them. Also the iDrive screen in the manuals shows differently (BMW Assist for the 2010 vs ConnectedDrive for the 2011.

The paper owners manuals in our 2010 and 2011 are both identical 2010 manuals, and the iDrive displays were identical until the reprogramming on the 2011. I believe that it's quite possible that some, if not all, earlier production 2011's were programmed with the 2010 data, and some necessary program changes resulted in engine management issues.

The one remaining issue, the intermittent buzzing that sounds like a woodpecker, has also disappeared with the reprogramming, although a valve is on order to assure it's gone for good.

Just a heads up.
Out of curiosity did the software update change your onboard iDrive manual as well - any changes?
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Out of curiosity did the software update change your onboard iDrive manual as well - any changes?
Can't tell. As you know, the manual is controlled by the idiotic "Wheel of Fortune" and I never looked at it on the old car. It would have been so much more convenient and logical had BMW simply loaded in a PDF of the manual like on their online site. You could then possiblyeven update it with a thumb drive. Oh, wait, that's logical thinking. Sorry.

On the positive side, paid off the second GT today. I won't do business with BMW Financial again as their tactics stink. Low interest rates are fine but I think their methods of doing business screw the customer over in the name of making more interest. Further, many of the CSR's don't know what they are talking about and when you find one who seemingly does, you don't know who to believe.

I made huge payments on the car and found they won't place it against the principal as it says they will do on their own web site. They just show a huge credit on your account and take the monthly payments out of it. When you catch them on it they clam up and don't respond, so you end up paying the interest on thousands more than you should. Credit Union applies excess to reduce principal immediately. One thru CU and one thru BMW. Guess where the next two will be financed thru?

Great cars but in my opinion, their finance system sucks. My son had the same problem and they acted the same way.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 xDrive GT
Are you serious?

Are you really serious? They only use the excess payments to "credit you" and then draw down monthly payments on that credit? So that you're still paying interest on the whole loan amount? Has anyone else noticed this?
2011 535i xDrive Gran Turismo - Euro Delivery, Retired
2006 330i - Euro Delivery, Retired
2001 X5 - Retired
1995 325is - Euro Delivery, Retired
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Here's the amortization table...and it's impossible to reconcile against the amortization table if you just make monthly payments. Notice no June payment since I made a 5K payment in May. So I make a 10K payment on July 2 and even though they already had a $1780 credit on the account, they charged $92 interest for two months somehow. There is absolutely no way to reconcile their amortization schedules if you pay ahead; BMW sent me an e-mail which I forwarded to my accountant and can't use the word he used in this forum. In the e-mail, BMW told me that by paying off $15K early, I saved a whopping $30.90. Do you see someone getting screwed here? Regardless, we're finito, they have the final payment enroute to their Ohio address and the GT is free and clear.

1 3/8/2011 $1,072.48 $48.69 $1,023.79 $36,476.80
2 4/8/2011 $1,072.48 $58.73 $1,013.75 $35,463.05
3 5/5/2011 $5,000.00 $49.73 $4,950.27 $30,512.78
4 7/2/2011 $10,000.00 $91.99 $9,908.01 $20,604.77
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Why not put your principal in an interest bearing account and have BWM do automatic draw downs against the payments from your bank?
When I traded in my Audi S6, BMW paid me a lump sum price for the Audi purchase and the lease was conducted as if there was no trade in. I put the cash into an account (paying 1%) and monthly money is automatically deposited into my checking account. BMW automatically debits my checking account for the payment. No checks, stamps, just easy.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 AM

I did better. Sent them a cashier's check for the full amount and don't owe anyone in the world a penny once again. Not even the tax man! Oh what a feeling!

Frankly, BMW screws you on the interest if you pay early, even though they profess not to. And when you pay the vehicle off, they don't even report the lien closure to the DMV; simply send you the title and tell you to do it yourself "to avoid possible problems in the future." Even the banks take care of that for you, but BMW costs you an additional $33 here to so their work. Not that $33 is a big deal, it just makes extra work and ties up the title in the DMV's hands for another month or more until you get a clean one back.

It's no matter because I wouldn't finance another vehicle through them. This was the first experience with BMW Financial and will be the last for us. We buy new every two years and the Credit Union was a much better choice on the 2010 we bought several months earlier. I really dislike getting conflicting information when you speak to different people and that's what i received from BMW. Come to think of it, I've gotten the same from BMWNA too. Must be the entire organization is going south!