Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Le Plaisir de Conduire

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci SP/PP/5sp
New E90 computer pic close to the real thing?

Guys,

Based on the spy shot of the E90 touring that has been circulating in the net for a while (attached here for reference), it seems to me that the computer enhanced image of the E90 touring on the cover of Auto Zeitung is pretty close to the real thing...

I sure hope it is 'cause it looks pretty sharp in my book

FrenchBoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E90-touring-tape.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	27424   Click image for larger version

Name:	e90-computer.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	27425  
Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Ik hou van Holland...

Mein Auto: 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
Guys,

Based on the spy shot of the E90 touring that has been circulating in the net for a while (attached here for reference), it seems to me that the computer enhanced image of the E90 touring on the cover of Auto Zeitung is pretty close to the real thing...

I sure hope it is 'cause it looks pretty sharp in my book

FrenchBoy
That Touring looks very cool... hope it comes with the 3 litre...
Old 03-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
The headlamps on the Zeitung cover are wrong. It has been reported here several times that the E90 won't have the X3 headlamp treatment. Also, the mule in your first pic has a different headlamp shape as well. Even though it is masked out, you can tell that the overall shape of the blinker/headlamp area will resemble the current facelifted E46.

With that said, I too hope that the rest of the car looks like he picture. Of course, the big question is if it will ever reach American shores.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:57 AM
No more Steptronic for me

Send a message via AIM to Andm99
Mein Auto: 2005 Silber Grau 325Ci
Theres not a single reason why the E90 won't come to US shores. However, the engine choices for the Touring are another question, just like the current E46. Don't be surprised if we see a 3.5L engine in petrol form. Alex Bauman posted a pic of the engine in diesel form.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andm99
Theres not a single reason why the E90 won't come to US shores. However, the engine choices for the Touring are another question, just like the current E46. Don't be surprised if we see a 3.5L engine in petrol form. Alex Bauman posted a pic of the engine in diesel form.
From what I have heard here and talking to my local dealer, the E46 Touring has not sold well. However, they sell really well in Europe. WIth that in mind I could see BMW AG decide to give us the X3 and keep the E90 Touring on their side of the Alantic.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to nickeltong
Mein Auto: 2004 330ciC
FrenchBoy: E90

Hi I am new here.

You think the E90 could be the new 2005 model or 2006? Any idea in which month the 2005's will come out? TIA
Old 03-16-2004, 09:02 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
From what I have heard here and talking to my local dealer, the E46 Touring has not sold well. However, they sell really well in Europe. WIth that in mind I could see BMW AG decide to give us the X3 and keep the E90 Touring on their side of the Alantic.
I think that Touring sales depend on how an individual dealer handles them, as well as how BMW limits configurations in the US. It seems a lot of dealers don't really emphasize the Tourings. When I was picking up mine, a woman was shopping at the dealership and looking at the sedan. When she saw my Touring, she said "This comes in a wagon? I want one of those!". Apparently this led to an increase in Touring sales there, for a while at least - they started to have at least a half dozen on the lot at any given time, with frequent stock movement. I've heard of other dealers that move every Touring allocation they can get, and trade with other dealers for more.

The other day, I was driving out in NJ to visit my Dad, and a potential customer was doing a test drive with an X5 from the local dealership, with the salesman also in the car. At a long red light, for grins, when I noticed the customer was looking at my car, I cycled my power mirrors. He honked the horn and we rolled down our windows. He said "Hey! Did your car just wave at me?" and I said "Yes!". I then said "Get the wagon - more room and it isn't an SUV!". I wonder what he did...

Of course, it is a shame that BMWNA doesn't bring in the 330 wagon. There are certainly some people who would consider buying the wagon, but insist on a larger engine.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Looks good, but that picture on the magazine cover reminds me of a Toyota Matrix or a Pontiac Vibe. However, I am quite certain it won't come with Vibe/Matrix pricing!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:08 AM
G o H o g s G o !

Mein Auto: 08 535i Sport/06 X5 4.8is
How do you cycle the mirrors?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:10 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedHog
How do you cycle the mirrors?
Install autofold mirrors Look here.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
Of course, it is a shame that BMWNA doesn't bring in the 330 wagon. There are certainly some people who would consider buying the wagon, but insist on a larger engine.
It is a shame. When I retire my 323i in a few years, I am looking to a E39 CPO 530 sedan only for the space. If they were to have a 330 Touring I would be on it in a heart beat. If the world was perfect, we would be able to get the 330d Touring. I lusted after a black one with the M-tech aero kit in my neighbor for two years while I lived in the UK.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
If they were to have a 330 Touring I would be on it in a heart beat.
Yeah I agree; I really prefer estates to sedans, but I wanted the 330 model. If they had a 330xiT here in the US I would have bought that!

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 03-16-2004, 10:58 AM
IRIX Rocks!

Send a message via Yahoo to dlloyd1975
Mein Auto: 325iT Schlampenschlepper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy
I think that Touring sales depend on how an individual dealer handles them, as well as how BMW limits configurations in the US. It seems a lot of dealers don't really emphasize the Tourings. When I was picking up mine, a woman was shopping at the dealership and looking at the sedan. When she saw my Touring, she said "This comes in a wagon? I want one of those!".
I got the same reaction at the dealership one time. Luckily, the sales manager at the dealership I bought mine from happens to like tourings. One of the few places I've seen them pretty regularly stocked in the showroom.

The other day at Lowe's, I also got a nice compliment from one of the other shoppers about the car. Too bad that BMW never bothered to market such a good product here.

I, too, hope that we get the E90 touring If we don't get the E60 or E90 touring, I'm not going to an SUV. Not that I plan to buy another new car within the next six years or so.

So, speaking of diesels, I did see in this month's Roundel that BMW plans to start pushing the introduction of their diesel engines to the US soon. Perhaps with the phasing in of the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel.

The Shaggin' Wagon
2003 Gray Green 325iT, PP, SP, CW, HK, Sand 'Ette

Last edited by dlloyd1975; 03-16-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Le Plaisir de Conduire

Continuing on the touring topic, does anyone know the real rationale behing BMW deciding to import the 325iT and not 330iT. It seems to me that:
1) American like large displacement engines, if BMW is going to sell just one touring version, wouldn't the 330iT make more business sense
2) Is the cost of "federalizing" the 330iT that prohibitive when they are already selling the 330i and the 325iT?
3) They already have technicians who are trained to repair the touring version (325iT) and the 3.0L engine (330i, Ci)

So my question really is: Even if they are not sure that it would sell well (which it probably would), why not import the 330iT? Where is the risk?

FrenchBoy
Old 03-16-2004, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Continuing on the touring topic, does anyone know the real rationale behing BMW deciding to import the 325iT and not 330iT. It seems to me that:
1) American like large displacement engines, if BMW is going to sell just one touring version, wouldn't the 330iT make more business sense
2) Is the cost of "federalizing" the 330iT that prohibitive when they are already selling the 330i and the 325iT?
3) They already have technicians who are trained to repair the touring version (325iT) and the 3.0L engine (330i, Ci)

So my question really is: Even if they are not sure that it would sell well (which it probably would), why not import the 330iT? Where is the risk?

FrenchBoy
The risk is cannibalizing more profitable sales of X5s and now X3s; the 3.0L engine would push the price up of the wagon into pretty heady territory. Besides, sales are miniscule as they are, 330iT sales would be even more miniscule (due to the higher price). Just look at how many people bought 540iTs vs 528iTs....a tiny number compared to the sedan. I personally would love a 330iT or 330dT, but I'd probably be one of only 5 people in Canada (or the US for that matter) who feels that way.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andm99
Um, that engine is a 3 litre I'm afraid . BMW's idiosyncratic nomeclature (harking back to the original 745i, so I suppose there's a precedent) has reared its head; the "3.5" diesel is actually a 3.0, with two turbos. The single turbo version is badged, more accurately, as a 3.0 (so 530d, 730d etc.)
Old 03-16-2004, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
Quote:

FrenchBoy
It cost a LOT to get a vehicle "federalized" and approved for sale in the US. I think I remember seeing figures in the millions posted here before. Remember, they have to have each model/engine combination approved, not just a model. It's definitely worth it for sedans, because they sell so many of them. The sales of wagons to sedans is dismal. Also, since BMWNA sells 3 to 1 2.5's over 3.0 for the 3 series, they chose one engine that made the most sense for them financially. I think that they believe (and I agree) they could never recoup the initial costs of the US approval of a 330iT. The peopple in these forums are a niche group.

I'm sure this is also a major consideration for bringing over the diesel engines, as good as they may be.

Last edited by LarryN; 03-16-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
I suspect that most people in the U.S. would buy a wagon for its utility first and would not be willing to pay 5-7K extra for performance alone. Like LarryN said, we are are a niche group here on these boards...

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com
Old 03-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Le Plaisir de Conduire

Fair enough. Looking at the 2003 sales figures for the 3 Series, it does seem indeed that the touring sales are marginal, and that Larry 3 to 1 ratio for 325 vs. 330 is on the money. If federalization is body style/engine specific and it costs that much, maybe it does not make business sense indeed.

It also seems that BMW is not marketing the touring versions in the US much. I have the feeling that Audi/volvo/Mercedes does a better job at marketing their touring models and consequently sell quite a few of them. It is also true that they do not have a X3 equivalent yet...

FrenchBoy
Old 03-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Le Plaisir de Conduire

Wow, it seems the entire Boston autoX crew is online right now
Old 03-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Wow, it seems the entire Boston autoX crew is online right now
Nice sig! I congratulate the photgrapher! BTW, when are we putting sways in? I'm up for it any time soon, but I am working the last WE of the month...
Old 03-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Le Plaisir de Conduire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryN
Nice sig! I congratulate the photgrapher! BTW, when are we putting sways in? I'm up for it any time soon, but I am working the last WE of the month...
Thanks for being such a sharp photographer

I was actually thinking about asking you if you would be available next Saturday or Sunday, but it looks like the weather is not going to be that great. So I am not sure. What do you think? If you are working on 3/27 and 2/28, then maybe we can install them the first weekend of April, i.e. the weekend before the EVO school. Let me know what works best for you.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
I'd like to help with the sways too. First weekend of April would work for me. Nic, maybe we should flush our cars' brake fluid this Sunday so you can focus on the sways after that - forecast is for mid-40s and dry. FWIW, we are going skiing the following weekend so I won't be around.

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com
Old 03-17-2004, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave1heart
I'd like to help with the sways too. First weekend of April would work for me. Nic, maybe we should flush our cars' brake fluid this Sunday so you can focus on the sways after that - forecast is for mid-40s and dry. FWIW, we are going skiing the following weekend so I won't be around.
4/3 is fine for me as well. I have the garage that's heated now, so doesn't matter if it's cold out... We can just park your car in there for a half hr or so to warm it up enough to work on it.

-Larry
Old 03-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Le Plaisir de Conduire

Since this is veering a little off topic, I will continue the conversation privately.

Brave1Heart, LarryN,
Check you mail...

FrenchBoy