Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci
Smartphone holder Recommendations

Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a holder for my smartphone and was interested also in seeing what others have bought. Also, if you would, please let me know what you LIKE and DISLIKE about your choice and if you would recommend it to others. I'd prefer something that quick-mounts 'lower' rather than 'higher' (like up above the dash level). If you are able to provide a link to where you got it would be nice as well! Thanks for your replies!

"I shoulda been a NASCAR driver" - Me to my wife

2006 330Ci
AUTO

Advertisement
Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKL1 View Post
Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a holder for my smartphone and was interested also in seeing what others have bought. Also, if you would, please let me know what you LIKE and DISLIKE about your choice and if you would recommend it to others. I'd prefer something that quick-mounts 'lower' rather than 'higher' (like up above the dash level). If you are able to provide a link to where you got it would be nice as well! Thanks for your replies!
I use my smartphone to run track apps (TrackAddict HD or Harry's Lap Timer) and needed a dash holder to make it convenient to use and to hold it as securely as possible. I use a Panavise 75103-599 dash bracket (https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75103-599.pdf), a Bracketron Ultra Slim Swivel PHS-203-PB (http://www.bracketron.com/ultra-slim...l#.VPcttWbv0Vk), and a Rammount iPhone specific holder. Rammount also makes a universal holder that works pretty well, and I use one to hold the GPS receiver I use with the track apps. Rammount is readily available from Amazon, the others you can Google to see who has the best price.

The mount is only removable by removing the dash trim and unbolting it from the radio mounting bolt. However it is extremely secure and stable and that is an absolute requirement for my application. I will be buying something similar for the Golf R that I have on order.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci 5-Spd
This is the best smartphone mount for me so far. Its very clean and hold the phone tight. It uses strong magnet and you put a metal plate behind your phone case.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150129_120311.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	495722  
Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
I use my smartphone to run track apps (TrackAddict HD or Harry's Lap Timer) and needed a dash holder to make it convenient to use and to hold it as securely as possible. I use a Panavise 75103-599 dash bracket (https://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75103-599.pdf), a Bracketron Ultra Slim Swivel PHS-203-PB (http://www.bracketron.com/ultra-slim...l#.VPcttWbv0Vk), and a Rammount iPhone specific holder. Rammount also makes a universal holder that works pretty well, and I use one to hold the GPS receiver I use with the track apps. Rammount is readily available from Amazon, the others you can Google to see who has the best price.

The mount is only removable by removing the dash trim and unbolting it from the radio mounting bolt. However it is extremely secure and stable and that is an absolute requirement for my application. I will be buying something similar for the Golf R that I have on order.
I like your setup! I'm confused though - how does my device interface with the swivel you have? I see how the primary bracket is attached, then you've got the swivel, but what means is used to connect the device to it? I went to the Rammount website but they show nothing available for my LG G3 device. Hmmmm

2006 330Ci
AUTO

Old 03-04-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
This is the best smartphone mount for me so far. Its very clean and hold the phone tight. It uses strong magnet and you put a metal plate behind your phone case.

That's a pretty slick piece of engineering! I do like the magnetic function. How does this mount to the dash? Is it a sticky foam tape? For me, that's not my preferred method of attachment - if it is a sticky...

2006 330Ci
AUTO

Old 03-04-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty slick piece of engineering! I do like the magnetic function. How does this mount to the dash? Is it a sticky foam tape? For me, that's not my preferred method of attachment - if it is a sticky...
Sticky 3M tape. It peels right off without and damage or residue on dash. It is also pretty strong it can hold my Samsung S5 as well as an Ipad Mini with no problem.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
Sticky 3M tape. It peels right off without and damage or residue on dash. It is also pretty strong it can hold my Samsung S5 as well as an Ipad Mini with no problem.
This, to me, seems like a good solution....I just ordered 2 of these from Scosche, one for me, and one for my wife`s car....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
I like your setup! I'm confused though - how does my device interface with the swivel you have? I see how the primary bracket is attached, then you've got the swivel, but what means is used to connect the device to it? I went to the Rammount website but they show nothing available for my LG G3 device. Hmmmm
These mounts have standardized mounting hole positions (Advanced Mobile Phone Mounting System - AMPS - is the name of the standard) that allow them to be bolted together. You might need to use some sort of universal holder for your phone, and Ram is not the only company out there. Fortunately for me, Apple keeps things pretty simple on form factors.

I am attaching a photo of the back of the phone holder. It just bolts to the swivel. I upgraded to an iPhone 6 last night and haven't installed the new holder in the car yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-04 13.21.59.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	495749  

Last edited by Cliff; 03-04-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
See also:
- What is the best hands free bluetooth cellphone and handsfree audio streaming in 2013 (1)
Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 AM

Thanks to all the replies thus far! I am a bit more comfortable with the 3M sticky if it does not leave damage/residue. I'll take a look at these in more detail as I have more time perhaps the weekend. Again, thank you guys for your replies

2006 330Ci
AUTO

Last edited by DKL1; 03-05-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
This is the one I use. It has a base that won't come off and doesn't vibrate or oscillate while driving. 2300+ favorable reviews can't be wrong!

Amazon link.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Bear in mind the wacky California law that prohibits sticking anything on most of the windshield ...
Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Bear in mind the wacky California law that prohibits sticking anything on most of the windshield ...
Not 100% sure, but I think that law has changed on that since. However hanging dices or tree air freshener from your rear view mirror is still illegal.

"California – You can mount it in a 5 inch area in the lower corner of the windshield on the driver side, or a 7 inch area in the lower corner of the passenger side, provided it does not get in the way of airbags and is only used for “door-to-door navigation” meaning it’s designed for automobiles. This would probably not cover using your phone to navigate. Edit: California recently changed the law, making using your smartphone for GPS while in the car legal."
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525i
I just got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have Qi (wireless charging) for your phone, this holder will plug into a USB cable, into your cig lighter, and keep charging your phone. Excellent for nav on long trips. You just clip your phone in, no messing with wires or plugs every time. (just the first time, on installation).

The instructions this holder comes with, are crap.

You can windshield-mount (suction-cup), dash mount (adhesive), or what I do: mount inside the air-vent (clips right in, no tools, reasonably sturdy, doesn't block windshield sight line at all).

Comes with the different mounts, a usb cord, and cig lighter adapter.

The phone I use is a Galaxy S5, and I have an aftermarket Qi receiver charger integrated with a replacement back cover. It's a mm or two thicker, but wireless charging is the shizzzle.

2004 330Cic ZHP 6 MT. . .
1995 525i M50TUB25 Autotragic; 247k miles.

Last edited by tristero; 03-05-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Keeping it surreal

UPDATE:

I installed the Scosche units (see Teklord69`s post above) in both cars, I`m amazed at how perfect they are....compact, well-made, and super-easy to use....just touch the back of your phone to the mount, and let magnetism do it`s thing ! Well worth $20 !

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto:
@fastbob
Does it hold going over bumps rough roads railroad tracks?? And how well does it hold taking fast/sharpe turns?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsean123 View Post
@fastbob
Does it hold going over bumps rough roads railroad tracks?? And how well does it hold taking fast/sharpe turns?
Just put `em in late this afternoon, haven`t had a chance to do any roadtesting. The roads are so phucked-up from the weather, it should be a real test. My wife and I both have Galaxy Note II phones, and they feel pretty secure on the mount.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '15 F80 M3
I have had dozens of mounts. I can't say enough good things about this one:

While I currently have this on the windshield, there would be fittings suitable lower dash mounting as well. It's firm, stable, doesn't rattle, doesn't fall off the windshield, adapts to the phone in our out of the case, easily releases, and works in multiple modes. I have the bike handle mount ready to go this summer!!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: '02 325i
heres my phone mount

Part Number 51 11 7 030 611
http://www.bavauto.com/lview.asp?img...1117030611.jpg
Old 03-10-2015, 02:04 PM
BMW = Fahrvergnügen

Mein Auto: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1 View Post
I have had dozens of mounts. I can't say enough good things about this one:

While I currently have this on the windshield, there would be fittings suitable lower dash mounting as well. It's firm, stable, doesn't rattle, doesn't fall off the windshield, adapts to the phone in our out of the case, easily releases, and works in multiple modes. I have the bike handle mount ready to go this summer!!
Both I and my wife have these in my E46 and her Subaru. Love them. They'll work on anything roughly smartphone shaped. Only things I don't like:
  • You can't put things in it with one hand since you need one to retract the clamp and the other to put whatever is going in there in there,
  • If you don't do a really good job cleaning the suction cup and the windshield, it'll fall down every couple of months. I've been using those alcohol prep pads to good effect.
- Xenons, aFe CAI, Scorpion Muffler, Racing Dynamics Strut Bar, PowerFlex FCAB's, 330i ZHP Shift Knob, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Dead Pedal, Sparco Alloy Pedal Covers (Now with Busted Brake Pedal Cover!), CDV-ectomy

'99.5 Audi A4 Avant quattro 1.8T 5MT — Silver/Rust
- Winter beater, now with boooooost!

'05 Subaru Forester 2.5XS — Alpine White
- Wife's whip
Old 03-10-2015, 03:56 PM
Team Zippy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyster View Post
heres my phone mount

Screw the phone mount.

I want your interior!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
Screw the phone mount.

I want your interior!
Yeah, really !

(I wanna have SEX in that car ! )

Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM

Ok guys! C'mon, settle down Thought it only common courtesy to update this thread since I started it and I'm sure many of you are losing sleep simply wondering what I decided on

I decided the Scoche magnetic device would be a good choice for me! Thank you for all the responses and since I'm certain many of you will worry yourselves sick wondering how I like it, I'll do my best to give feedback here in a month or two!

2006 330Ci
AUTO

Old 03-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Ok guys! C'mon, settle down Thought it only common courtesy to update this thread since I started it and I'm sure many of you are losing sleep simply wondering what I decided on

I decided the Scoche magnetic device would be a good choice for me! Thank you for all the responses and since I'm certain many of you will worry yourselves sick wondering how I like it, I'll do my best to give feedback here in a month or two!
My wife & I have been using ours for a couple of weeks now, and so far, it seems like the ideal mount. You can`t beat it for ease of use....

(If it doesn`t fall off the dash during summer months, I`ll really be impressed ! )

Old 03-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
My wife & I have been using ours for a couple of weeks now, and so far, it seems like the ideal mount. You can`t beat it for ease of use....

(If it doesn`t fall off the dash during summer months, I`ll really be impressed ! )
That's kinda what I was thinking too about the hotter time of the year. We'll see!

2006 330Ci
AUTO