Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-31-2016, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i
01' 330i Coolant Expansion Tank/Radiator Issue

My coolant expansion tank recently cracked and would not hold coolant. I purchased a new tank and installed it. A couple weeks later the coolant light came on and I developed another leak which was due to a cracked radiator. I just recently bought a new one and replaced it as well. I drove the car about 50 miles and I'll be damned if the coolant light didn't come on again. I limped the car home and am now seeming to experience another leak from somewhere and I have no clue where it's coming from or what to do. All the hoses are dry and of course the radiator and tank are both brand new. The only thing I can think of is the coolant sensor at the bottom of the expanaion tank is missing an o ring of some sort. Does this sensor even have an o ring? Any help would be much appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2016, 03:03 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & JB4+ 335i
Usually when we replace any cooling part on the E46 we do the entire cooling system as a precaution / preventative maintenance. You SHOULD of replaced the radiator, expansion tank, upper and lower radiator hose, thermostat, water pump and sensors all at the same time.

Now since you didn't every little piece you didn't replace is failing around the new ones. Do you see an actual leak? do you see coolant on the floor? And do you have an automatic or manual?

TheMalibuMafia.com

BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
BMW 2007 335i. ST Garrett GT35R.
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool - SOLD
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 03-31-2016, 03:11 PM

I don't see an actual leak but yes coolant is on the ground underneath it. And it's a manual. I filled the system and bled it properly. After this issue occurred the tank was completely dry.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by _330i View Post
I don't see an actual leak but yes coolant is on the ground underneath it. And it's a manual. I filled the system and bled it properly. After this issue occurred the tank was completely dry.
There are two o-rings at the bottom of the exp tank. One is 3.5mm x 22mm Buna-N70 metric. The other is 4mm x 38mm Buna-N 70 Metric. That expansion tank can feel like it's in place correctly, but it may not be tight. It would be worth it to rent a radiator pressure tester to see where the leak really is. Sometimes you can "rent" it for free at an auto parts store.
Good luck.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:25 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Since you have a manual this make this 10x easier to narrow down. I would recommend taking the electric fan out. And inspect the thermostat, waterpump and lower radiator hose. And like I said... i would just replace all the parts of the cooling system you haven't replaced yet anyways to be on the safe side. The cooling system on these cars isn't something you really want to play round with considering the head is made of aluminum. And these cars DO NOT like heat.

TheMalibuMafia.com

Old 03-31-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
There are two o-rings at the bottom of the exp tank. One is 3.5mm x 22mm Buna-N70 metric. The other is 4mm x 38mm Buna-N 70 Metric. That expansion tank can feel like it's in place correctly, but it may not be tight. It would be worth it to rent a radiator pressure tester to see where the leak really is. Sometimes you can "rent" it for free at an auto parts store.
Good luck.
Is there an o ring where the actual coolant expansion tank sensor is on the bottom? There's a little play in it and I can't see plastic on plastic properly sealing coolant in a pressurized system...
Old 03-31-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Since you have a manual this make this 10x easier to narrow down. I would recommend taking the electric fan out. And inspect the thermostat, waterpump and lower radiator hose. And like I said... i would just replace all the parts of the cooling system you haven't replaced yet anyways to be on the safe side. The cooling system on these cars isn't something you really want to play round with considering the head is made of aluminum. And these cars DO NOT like heat.
I can clearly see the lower radiator hose and there are no leaks whatsoever. When the system was completely full of coolant the heater blew very hot which would lead me to believe the thermostat and whaterpump were fine. I'm clearly seeing coolant and just need to figure out where it's coming from.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Is there an o ring where the actual coolant expansion tank sensor is on the bottom? There's a little play in it and I can't see plastic on plastic properly sealing coolant in a pressurized system...
O rings

Old 03-31-2016, 04:21 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Quote:
I can clearly see the lower radiator hose and there are no leaks whatsoever. When the system was completely full of coolant the heater blew very hot which would lead me to believe the thermostat and whaterpump were fine. I'm clearly seeing coolant and just need to figure out where it's coming from.
doesn't matter if it was blowing hot or not. You can still have a leak....

it's super rare. But there's a heater core pipe that runs along side of the engine block that does eventually go bad on high mileage cars.

TheMalibuMafia.com

Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 PM

The problem ended up being a hose at the bottom of the expansion tank. It wasn't all the way put on. Those metal clips on the hoses are good but they're either on or off, no in between. It seemed to take a a hell of a lot more pressure than any of the others to secure but its fixed! I appreciate the help y'all.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
It seemed to take a a hell of a lot more pressure than any of the others to secure
This is one sign of a binding O-ring, which increases the odds for a leak down the road. Why I urge the use of silicone O-ring lube whenever you see an O-ring. I use syl-glyde.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-G...icant/19866160

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search