Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-10-2015, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
2000 328ci, with p1622 p1421 & p1423 codes present, need some help!

hey guys, ok --- need some help here. OK, so a little background. I bought this 328ci, needed some love. I fault traced lots of codes and replaced the lower intake boot as well as the MAF due to codes and symptoms and got it purring! OK, so here is the current issue I am facing. As you can see from the title of the thread I have three codes that keep coming up. Sometimes (with no pattern) at COLD start up the car's idle will raise and lower, but not surge like an air leak, and the idle is not rough. No misfire codes. I clear the codes and it take close to 100 miles for it to code again.

OK, so, I have done my research and I know the 1622 code is a tstat code and it looks like the other 2 codes are in relation to the air pump and check valve. The air pump does come on, and it is not overly loud. My lines running from the valve are good. I took the valve off and cleaned it but it looks suspect to me. OK, so the car arrived to operating temp right on the money and does not budge -- so, how am I throwing tstat codes?

I can do the repairs, and dont mind buying the parts but would the tstat trip the other codes? Maybe the other way around?

thanks for help!
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2015, 07:38 AM

bumpppyyyy bump
Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iii View Post
hey guys, ok --- need some help here. OK, so a little background. I bought this 328ci, needed some love. I fault traced lots of codes and replaced the lower intake boot as well as the MAF due to codes and symptoms and got it purring! OK, so here is the current issue I am facing. As you can see from the title of the thread I have three codes that keep coming up. Sometimes (with no pattern) at COLD start up the car's idle will raise and lower, but not surge like an air leak, and the idle is not rough. No misfire codes. I clear the codes and it take close to 100 miles for it to code again.

OK, so, I have done my research and I know the 1622 code is a tstat code and it looks like the other 2 codes are in relation to the air pump and check valve. The air pump does come on, and it is not overly loud. My lines running from the valve are good. I took the valve off and cleaned it but it looks suspect to me. OK, so the car arrived to operating temp right on the money and does not budge -- so, how am I throwing tstat codes?

I can do the repairs, and dont mind buying the parts but would the tstat trip the other codes? Maybe the other way around?

thanks for help!
I doubt the t-stat is throwing your SA codes. If it is just starting to fail you'll get intermittent codes for several months perhaps. Check the wiki about cooling sys refresh intervals. Hit all that's needed and refresh the coolant at the same time as the t-stat. But not urgent unless you have other excessively aged cooling parts.

For SA, take the big hose off the valve and see if you feel exhaust pulses right after starting the car from a cold start. That'll tell you if it's opening. You could also see if you can slip a stick or something in there that won't nick the valve plunger. Also, the vacuum hose that it connects to gets brittle and leaks at the rubber connect points (SAP valve and vac valve on the back of the intake manifold, and hard plastic section of the vac line). Can get more rubber vac hose at part store. Wiki also has info on that that is really good. (Going off what I recall from my 330)

e46 wiki: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05#post8014505
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 02-11-2015, 01:27 PM

cool ----- I really think the valve is bad, it looks all cruded up inside --- I guess this is the question: will a bad valve (throws my air pump codes), could this be throwing my 1622 code?
Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 PM

sooooooo...when I installed the lower intake boot I rolled the hose clamp for the upper. I think that was the entire issue. All vacuum lines going to the back of the block are good
Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Did you ever figure out the issues? I just got a 2000 328i the other day and just had my codes pulled today...it come up with P1421 , P1423 and P1622...just started my research and come across your post first...any help would be appreciated....
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 AM

nope. I gave up and sold it at auction. Good luck. I gave up trying to make money on selling bmw's