Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 03-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 08 TL-S
Newbie- Please advise with concerns

Greetings to all M5 enthusiast!!

I am (like all of you) a HUGE M fan. I have an opportunity to pick up a '02 M5 that is in exceptional condition (so I'm told). The car has 98,000 on the clock and dealer states it has a new clutch & "DINAN Software". The asking price is $15,900 and it is not from a BMW dealership. Coming from a Honda/Acura background I have always treasured the "reliability" of the VTEC engine, and will be the first to say that the M5 has always been a dream and is simply in a class all by itself- HANDS DOWN.

My concerns are of course the dreaded stories of the "problems" that arise after 100k, and the amount of money I am expecting to spend maintaining the monster (from scheduled maintenance to unexpected and "issues" the car is known to have. Any thoughts, advice that you all can give will be greatly appreciated. I have included the link that shows the car- thanks again for sharing your knowledge

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 03-08-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 08 TL-S
Well, 65 views and no response- perhaps some of you guys really have no idea what your doing after all- you just buy a car because it has an "M" next to it, I was expecting to have a few responses or advice - thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
When buying any car, but especially a BMW, just take it to a BMW dealer or independent and have them do a prepurchase inspection. (i'd rather go to a reputable BMW independent) - they'll give you an idea of what work it needs, and what condition it's in.

I'd never buy a used M car without one.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Ask your questions over at M5board.com. You'll get a better response there.
On Order for ED pick-up 9/17/2014 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT

Greta is for SALE. 2002 M5