Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330CIC ZHP
Car wont start after putting techron fuel injector cleaner

I put a bottle of techron concentrated injector cleaner tonight after my wife complained about cracking up four times to start the car this afternoon.

My tank probably had 13-14 gallons of gas and each bottle treats upto 12 gallons. I poured at the autozone parking lot, drove home with no issues. Turned off the car and realized my door was to too close to the wall.

Then I cranked up couple of times, the starter is responding but the engine wont start

I am just going to wait till tomorrow morning and try to start again.
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
Your wife had a problem starting it BEFORE you tried Techron. You titled the thread to imply that Techron had something to do with your car not starting. Your car has something else wrong with it, that cannot be fixed with a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and the fuel injector cleaner that you added in a futile attempt to fix this problem has nothing to do with the continued problem.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 AM

Yeah, you are right todd92. I was in a panic mode when I posted the thread and did not think of the implication. I hope it is rather other thing else and should be covered under the extended warranty. I personally think the fuel pump is giving up as it happened twice AFTER driving for a while i.e. warmed up fuel pump. Hope it starts this morning and I will be on my way to the dealership
Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhpboy View Post
Hope it starts this morning and I will be on my way to the dealership
Oh my, don't do that. It sounds like a bad fuel pump. You can check to see if you hear it prime when you turn the key. Listen in the back passenger area (pump is under that seat), you should hear it whine as it gets ready to work. If not, it is dead.

A dealer will charge you $1000 for it when it is a $350 part and a 30 minute install which is VERY easy. All you need is a hammer, 10mm socket, and a flat head screwdriver to replace.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
Quote:
Yeah, you are right todd92. I was in a panic mode when I posted the thread and did not think of the implication. I hope it is rather other thing else and should be covered under the extended warranty. I personally think the fuel pump is giving up as it happened twice AFTER driving for a while i.e. warmed up fuel pump. Hope it starts this morning and I will be on my way to the dealership
Yes, should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Oh my, don't do that. It sounds like a bad fuel pump. You can check to see if you hear it prime when you turn the key. Listen in the back passenger area (pump is under that seat), you should hear it whine as it gets ready to work. If not, it is dead.

A dealer will charge you $1000 for it when it is a $350 part and a 30 minute install which is VERY easy. All you need is a hammer, 10mm socket, and a flat head screwdriver to replace.
Seeing as he said he has an extended warranty, should not cost him much to have the dealer fix it.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 AM

I checked the noise from the pump under the rear seat. When the igition is on position, I can hear couple of clicks and then almost like a hydraulic sound coming from the rear.

I got the car 2 weeks back from a honda dealer so I still have the 30-day dealer warranty. They are sending a tow truck right now to be towed back about 70 miles to their dealership. Hope I do not have to tap in into my extended warranty for this issue.

Thank god this happened on my drive way and not anywhere else!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM

I personally think that the carbons and gums that the techron took out got stuck somewhere. Can it be a possibility in anyone's expert opinion?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i Sedan
Quote:
I personally think that the carbons and gums that the techron took out got stuck somewhere. Can it be a possibility in anyone's expert opinion?
This shouldn't be the case, the carbons are dissolved VERY slowly and are also dissolved into a liquid, no big chunks. however I would make sure to change the fuel filter before using fuel injector cleaner. you don't want to me dissolving all the crap in a old fuel filter and then sending it downstream into the injectors..
Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post

Well, it sure helps to also have your mechanical knowledge and experience. You put me around a BMW with a hammer and screwdriver and bad things are likely to occur.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
No, this is highly unlikely. If you are having it towed to a Honda shop heaven only knows what they will try and do to it. Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
You put me around a BMW with a hammer and screwdriver and bad things are likely to occur.
How do you think I ended up with a manual transmission?

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-10-2011, 12:28 AM

Just an update. The car was towed to the honda dealership on a flat bed and we went down there to speak to the GM. He mentioned that the car would be sent to the BMW dealership on Monday and he will update me on the car EOD Monday. Hope thats true and they do not try to fix the issue themselves at the Honda service.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 PM

The dealer mentioned this evening that they diagnosed a bad fuel pump and they ordered a new one to be delivered tomorrow. Since they figured the issue themselves, the honda service is fixing the issue. Hope they know what they are doing!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
HAve 'em replace the fuel filter. When pumps go bad, its often because they're fighting a severely clogged fuel filter.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:42 AM

Got my ride back from the dealership today. They have not provided me with any paperwork yet. Supposedly, they changed the fuel pump. The car feels a lot lighter and very quick pick-up. Guess the fuel pump had issues when i bought the car 3 weeks before and I was not able to unleash the power until today. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinion. Taking the beast to Vegas over the weekend!