Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 07-09-2011, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 540 i
Dice Mediabridge ??

Hey guys, new to the forum, read lots of good things here, I know there are lots of posts out there regarding the DICE Mediabridge, just wondering if anyone has left the module in the trunk and successfully used the Bluetooth option
Thx
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Chris Rietmann

Mein Auto: United States
I just did one this weekend in my 2000 M5 and no, didn't leave the box in the trunk for a number of reasons. If you are using it for Bluetooth cellphone audio it wouldn't really work well - you have to run a mic from the unit to somewhere in the cabin, and that's a lot easier with a forward mount. You'd also have a good deal of metal and distance in the path between your cell phone and the unit if you're streaming media - I can't think that would be a good thing. Also the Mediabridge gives you USB and an AUX jack built in, and again, those would be long, long runs. I installed mine per the videos posted by www.bavariansoundwerks.com - they have a YouTube channel that has excellent walkthroughs that make the install a piece of cake. So...my install was a DSP adapter box where the CD changer used to be, the DICE cable run behind the left carpet, under the back seat and up the trim to under the glove box - tons and tons of room there to install the Mediabridge (and I did a Sirius SC-C1 plug and play radio to bring in satellite too). Then it's an easy run to install the mic in the roof unit by the sunroof switch (where the BMW cell phone mic would be) and that's it. Very simple, very easy installation. I brought the AUX and USB up alongside the console for now, I'm still thinking about where I want to bring them up through the console for a more permanent and aesthetic installation. Other than the intentional placement of USB/AUX IN, there is not a visible wire anywhere in the car which I like.

I did an Excort Passport 8500 hardwired install at the same time - that was definitely more complex fishing wires than the Mediabridge. So that was way more information than you asked for, but it explains why I did it the way I did and not the way you ask.