Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Dreaded Convertible Top Not Lock

Well, even after the dealer did the Mod on the sensor bracket a few months back the dreaded "Convertible Top Not Lock" issue popped up this week. Car at the dealer now for repairs. I will update on their findings but I'm missing my drop top for the weekend .

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Ads by Google
Old 07-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Damn that sucks! Hope they fix it for good this time.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650 I SPORT PKG
Man that really sucks
Vorsteiner carbon lip,Deck wing and Rear diffuser
Black mantle grill
H&R 15mm spacers for front and back Go Wide
Painted front and rear brake calibers with M logo
Exhuast rensinator delete with cats removed

Lexus L 460 touring package Family car
Svt mustang Cobra racer
Lexus Gs Modded Daily
Bmw 650i Cabrio Sold
Saleen s 351
Old 07-10-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
It may take a few adjustments (unfortunately).

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 07-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
damn, that sucks! my sensor fix has held up the past six months (knock on wood).

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys. Still pimping it in the 3 series . They will update me on Monday but I am hoping that they fix it for good this time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

Previous Cars:
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645 ci convertible
I feel you! Mines is going in to the dealer Wednesday for same thing and not opening too. This is a the third dealer for my issue. Yorgi recommend that I get a seconf opinion and I did about my sensor,hydraulic unit issues. Let you know also how I make out.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
It could be a battery issue. I notice that with mine if i do something to drain the battery like listen to the radio with the car not started or drop the top in the same scenario. Then the convertible top not lock error appear. However if i drive it for a while it goes away. Even though the dealer tells you the battery is ok. It still might not give off enough voltage.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 AM

Even though I do like the feature to drop the top when I'm walking up before starting the engine, I have been advised by a couple of SA's (and I believe on this board) to operate the vert top only when the engine is running to reduce drain on the battery, given the overall power load of the six.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Never use the top without the alternator running. just got back from the dealership and my SA mention that to me. To move the top take a lot of juice so you would not want to do it too often just on the battery power.
So my top is fix (keeping my fingers crossed that it hold up) They replace the top angle sensor and did the modification as well (again). Then according to my SA, they did a top learn procedure. I guess this is where the control unit has to updated on the new angle. They had it sitting in the sun for the whole day and retest again and it still works. So I am hoping that it will last through the summer. While they where at it they replaced my front brakes and throw on new rotors. According to my SA, the rotors where measuring 28.2MM and BMW calls for the specs to be no less than 28.4MM. So I'm happy now fellas

Previous Cars:
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 6 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo645 View Post
Well, even after the dealer did the Mod on the sensor bracket a few months back the dreaded "Convertible Top Not Lock" issue popped up this week. Car at the dealer now for repairs. I will update on their findings but I'm missing my drop top for the weekend .
I had this problem the first year I bought my car new. It was the sensors, and the first time it happened to me was in a rain storm. Anyways, the dealership fixed my problem and I haven't had a problem with it ever since. If I remember correctly, I had to bring the car in twice to get it adjusted fine.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Never use the top without the alternator running. just got back from the dealership and my SA mention that to me. To move the top take a lot of juice so you would not want to do it too often just on the battery power.
So my top is fix (keeping my fingers crossed that it hold up) They replace the top angle sensor and did the modification as well (again). Then according to my SA, they did a top learn procedure. I guess this is where the control unit has to updated on the new angle. They had it sitting in the sun for the whole day and retest again and it still works. So I am hoping that it will last through the summer. While they where at it they replaced my front brakes and throw on new rotors. According to my SA, the rotors where measuring 28.2MM and BMW calls for the specs to be no less than 28.4MM. So I'm happy now fellas
I have mentioned this before in the "top not locked" thread that is many pages.

I don't know if that is cause and affect or just coincidence, but I had not problems with the top not locked until I started using the key to open and close the top when the car was off. I did it sparingly. I had it into the dealer and they did barely anything since they could not reproduce the error. So I stopped using the key and never had the problem again.

I had read somewhere in my searches that a guy warned not to use the key as it caused this problem with his car. So that is when I tried that. Could be happenstance as I said???
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Not discounting the advice of SAs, but I've been putting my top down from the key fob without the car on for years without battery problems in either my 645 nor my 650.

I've always been of the opinion, if it's a factory feature on the car, the car should be able to do it repeatedly without issue.

Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post

I've always been of the opinion, if it's a factory feature on the car, the car should be able to do it repeatedly without issue.
I definately agree with that assessment Nick but too many times we have found that these features are sometimes in beta stage and we the consumers are guinea pigs. Just like what tampamark mentioned above in regards to the key used to open the top may cause issues. It is a feature on the car but it may be causing other problems with the top that we cannot pin point at this time. I tend to drop my top once I'm in the car anyway. Just a habit.

Previous Cars:
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 07-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Well, I do agree with Nick, if the feature is there then it should be able to be used without issue. But as we have found out with the self-indulgent engineers at BMW they are not without flaws in thinking.

While the manual says you can lower the top with the key it has a warning not to do it because of battery drain! I am traveling so I don't have my manual to review the exact wording, but it was to that effect. Perhaps it said not too much?

A bit of ambiguity regardless...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedanatural View Post
I feel you! Mines is going in to the dealer Wednesday for same thing and not opening too. This is a the third dealer for my issue. Yorgi recommend that I get a seconf opinion and I did about my sensor,hydraulic unit issues. Let you know also how I make out.
And you guys wonder why I can't resist jumping in on these threads.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
...the self-indulgent engineers at BMW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
While the manual says you can lower the top with the key it has a warning not to do it because of battery drain! I am traveling so I don't have my manual to review the exact wording, but it was to that effect. Perhaps it said not too much?

A bit of ambiguity regardless...
Just looked it up in my manual, foud the part you're talking about***********:

"To avoid putting excessive strain on the battery, only move the convertible top when the engine is running, if possible."

Oddly enough, this warning is NOT in the section where they explain how to open the top with the key fob, but instead at the part about using the interior buttons.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 07-20-2011, 06:52 AM

OK... that's weird. I have the word "about" and then a colon in my post and for some reason it looks like it's blocking foul language. I guess the 'fest doesn't like proper grammer used on the site?

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post

Just looked it up in my manual, foud the part you're talking about***********:

"To avoid putting excessive strain on the battery, only move the convertible top when the engine is running, if possible."

Oddly enough, this warning is NOT in the section where they explain how to open the top with the key fob, but instead at the part about using the interior buttons.
Watch your language Nick, we don't want you banned for abusing "about".

Thanks for looking that up, so to paraphrase, "you can put the top down with the key while the car is off, but hey don't do that, unless of course you have no other choice, then do that, but realize we don't want you to do that."

The strain is too much!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
I just got the "top not locked" message and to top would retract but the lid would not open. I am out of warranty. Just curious as to how much this will cost to get fixed. I put a new battery in about a year ago, should I try changing that first or just go straight to the dealership. Also, is this something an Indy shop can do for maybe a little less money? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
For sure try charging the battery first.

Many times the error is a one-off or rare occurrence so I would not run right out and fix it. If it is reoccurring then I would bring it into a good independent shop. Should cost less than half what the dealer would charge.

If the indy is not familiar with the issue, make sure you print the TSB for them which will give them some background on the sensor issue and modifications to the frame. You can find the link to the TSB in the first post over in this thread.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
Thanks Yorgi, I went to the gym this morning and when I got in the 6 to go home I thought I would give it a try and to my suprise it worked like nothing had happend!! I guess I will wait until it happens again before I do anything.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Keep in mind a one guy was able fix the issue by giving the sensor a push on the frame. Worth a try if it balks on you again.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM

Well, I spoke too soon about my top holding up fine these last 7+ months. Last night I left work and went out to the parking garage to go home in the middle of a serious downpour/thunderstorms. I raised the top and at the very end after locking but with the windows still stuck halfway, she hit me with the dreaded red light and error message/chime. I'm thinking, crap, not now!!

I fiddled with the top buttons... no luck. Shut her off, turned her back on, and tried again... still no luck. Didn't want to let her sit for awhile and go to sleep to then try again... remember something from this board about pushing on the inside of the top. So, while running, I gently put pressure from inside the top on multiple places on the frame (hoping to nudge a sensor). Shut her off, turn her back on, no errors and the windows come up! Drive home, put the top down this morning, drive in and put the top back up in the garage to test it - still no errors. Seems to be working fine, but will get it to the dealer to check/adjust the sensors again.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Ironic, I had just posted the link to that "push fix" above your post. Take a look at the link I put out there to the guys write-up, he has a picture of the location of the pivot point where the Sensor is located. Since you stumbled around and found it this will give you a more specific area to target. By the way, when you are raising/lowering your top, stop about half-way and you can see the sensor housing that Boesman10 was kind enough to identify for us. You will see the two wires coming out of the sensor mounted into the pivot point for the top frame.

Quote:
The area that he notated is where the rotation sensor for the top is located. Below is the TSB excerpt, as you can see the reason for this is that the rotation sensor reads segments that are very close together, heat (or other factors I suppose) can cause these to misread the top position. I believe the easy fix that Boesman10 posted a while back helps to get the sensor back on the right segment.

Quote:

TOP UNLOCK TSB EXCERPT

CAUSE
The angle of rotation sensor on the tensioning bar is reading the wrong segment.

The sensor position segments are very close together; therefore, if the frame or the sensor itself is slightly out of position, the wrong segment may be read.

This condition is exaggerated by temperature-induced expansion, such as when the vehicle sits in direct sun for an extended period of time.

CORRECTION
The angle of rotation sensor has been updated with improved tolerances for segment recognition.

The updated parts have been produced from 8/2005.

PROCEDURE
In case of a customer complaint, follow the recommendations below.

Attempt to reproduce the customer's complaint. This may require allowing the vehicle to sit in the sun to promote some degree of temperature induced expansion.
Compare the convertible top statuses via the DIS Plus or GT1, to the known correct statuses displayed in the attachment.
If the angle of rotation, tensioning bar, is reading the wrong segment at any position of the convertible top, proceed with procedure A or B.

Procedure A - vehicles produced up to 8/2005:

Replace the angle of rotation sensor with the updated part.
Note: The part number did not change, and the updated part can be identified by a date code of August 1, 2005, shown as 1.8.05.
Allow the car to sit in the sun with the top closed and then verify the correct operation of the top.
If the same condition returns, follow procedure B

Procedure B - vehicles produced from 8/2005:

The existing sensor will need to be removed from the convertible top frame and modified.

After removing the sensor from the frame, elongate the two upper attachment holes on the sensor cover as shown by the arrows.
Each of these 2 holes should be elongated in the indicated direction by approximately 2-3mm using a small hand file.

Install the sensor back onto the convertible top frame.
Rotate the sensor clockwise about the lower, unmodified hole.
Secure the bracket to the frame

Check the convertible top position status and if possible, allow the car to sit in the sun to further validate the effectiveness of the modification.
If the sensor continues to read an incorrect segment, it may need to be adjusted one or more times until it reads correct all the time.