Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to rph74
Mein Auto: 98 540ia Sport
Is this normal for rear air suspension?

On my recently purchased X5 I noticed that when I opened the door after sitting in the garage for a few hours, the rear suspension aired up a few inches.

Is this normal operation, or should there never be a need to air up like that?

An armed society is a polite society
Ads by Google
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 02 X5 4.6
This is not normal and usually indicates that you have a leaking air spring, bad level sensor or module. Does both sides go down or just one side?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to rph74
Mein Auto: 98 540ia Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Redline View Post
This is not normal and usually indicates that you have a leaking air spring, bad level sensor or module. Does both sides go down or just one side?

Just one side. About 2 weeks ago, I finally got the self leveling susp. inactive light, and it was stuck in the down position on the driver's side. I "reset" everything by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, and it came back up and hasn't gone down since.

I plan to convert the rear springs to Coil springs to fix the problem for once and for all. $370 in parts, and about $100 to have the BMW dealership tell the computer that it no longer has the self leveling system.

Then I'll sell some of the more desirable parts ie compressor, module, etc to make some of the money back.

An armed society is a polite society
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i, 2009 335iCV
I had both susp. replaced on mine for $1400 parts & labor. (2001 x5 sport, 138K) in Jan. Both susp. started leaking air and problem got alot worse as time passed. Last month timing chain retainer borke. Another $1800 to fix. The car still runs great and paid for, but not reliable anymore. Ordering a 3.5 Sport this week.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 03 X5
Dont waste your money replacing with rebuilt stuff

Just wanted to share with you guys, I have had problem after problem with this $%^* suspension. After dumping about $3,500 into compressor, struts, module, then another compressor I looked around and found a company that has a kit that you install regular struts/springs. The kit doesn't lower the car like those other spring kits that they sell online. I am no Mechanic by any means but the guy I spoke to "Diego" actually encouraged me to do it my self. It took me most of the day, followed the instructions, but it wasnt that bad and I just have normal tools. This is the absolute best thing I could have ever done. I should have looked online before I threw away all that money at my BMW mechanic. It rides fantastic !!!!!couldnt be happier!!!! I wanted to tell you DONT waste your money on replacing the factory stuff, my guy's name is Diego and his number is 1-877-401-8028. best purchase I could have ever made for my X5.

thx
BMWX5r