Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
2000 X5 Window regulator

I am a new owner of an older car and a month ago my passenger window broke in that it would not go up after I heard a loud plastic cracking noise. I taped the window in the up position and did some research here and elsewhere.

As many may already know, X5 has window regulator issues-historically.

I priced the part around and was able to find one online for 69.00 with shipping included.

Ordered the part, went to YOUTUBE and found a video made by a BMW master mechanic.

Watched it several times, took notes and went to work.

TheBMW guy did it on the video in less the 30 minutes, albeit condensed, but it is a quick job.

It took me about 3 hours due to having to go to BMW for two plastic clip parts that attach the window to the regulator- $2.75 a piece.

This was a very easy do it yourself job. The trick was knowing how to attack the job and overcoming the fear of starting something and not finishing it correctly.

The BMW Mechanic used a blue plastic wedge to remove the brown decorative plastic and window switch.

I improvised and used a wide spatula to pry the parts apart.

In the video, the BMW guy disconnected the three electrical plugs from the window switch. I was able to disconnect two of them, but for the life of me, couldn't disconnect the third.

The trick there was to pop the top of the switch plate off with a screwdriver. If you do the job, you'll see what I mean.

Lastly, I used duct tape to hold the window in place for the month I was driving it. That left a lot of adhesive markings on the window and door frame.
WD-40 sprayed on, and used a razor blade to remove it quickly from the window and paper towels vigorously rubbed for the door.

I hope this helps anyone with similar issues.

Next project?
My driver's window is stuck in the up position and am unsure what it is. Someone earlier posted it was off the track.

I'll attack this job in the coming weeks.

Best.

JP
Ads by Google
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to ChezWhiz Send a message via MSN to ChezWhiz Send a message via Yahoo to ChezWhiz
Mein Auto: 2001 X5 4.4i
Lightbulb ...or

...you could just have gone the route of going to the DIY section of xoutpost.com
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
I am humbled. I did not know about that section. Thanks! I will use it. Any ideas on why the driver's window won't go down?