Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
First handgun purchase

Looking to purchase my first handgun. For range use and home protection only. I have been eyeing berettas and .357 Mags so far. If you own a firearm(s), what are you carrying?
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
TXSunDvl

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci, ZSP, '08 CR-V
Glock 19, plus a few others:

Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Asking for another person's preference on handguns is a bad way to start deciding - the most important thing on selecting a handgun is how it feels *TO YOU* - go and handle a few in a friendly and helpful gun-store - then fire those you shortlist and see what you get along with.

What I carry/shoot will not help you decide what will work best for your grip, size of hands, ability to handle recoil etc, etc, etc.

hth

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointA2PointB View Post
Looking to purchase my first handgun. For range use and home protection only. I have been eyeing berettas and .357 Mags so far. If you own a firearm(s), what are you carrying?
Home protection? Remington 870. Nothing will clear an intruders cloudy head like the sound of a shell being racked.

Carry? I just bought the Ruger LCP- a pocket carry .38. Fits VERY nicely in my pocket and my X5 center console. I carry it everywhere.

For the range and for carry when I think of it, I have a Glock 30. The .45 packs a nice punch. My wife carries a 9mm Springfield XDM. She's a better shot.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
Asking for another person's preference on handguns is a bad way to start deciding - the most important thing on selecting a handgun is how it feels *TO YOU* - go and handle a few in a friendly and helpful gun-store - then fire those you shortlist and see what you get along with.

What I carry/shoot will not help you decide what will work best for your grip, size of hands, ability to handle recoil etc, etc, etc.

hth
Best advice in thread. When my wife said she wanted a gun, I bought her a gift card. It was up to her to find the one that she likes.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post

hth
This. You need to go to a range that rents a wide variety of guns and try a few out. Try a revolver then a semi automatic. Once you get your preference then you need to look at caliber that you want. Small caliber or large caliber? Is it for home or carry? Single action or double action? Size? Lots of questions that need to be answered to help you zero in on the right piece for you. I would start with shooting a few different ones and then go from there. Also, for your protection (and that of everyone around you), please take an entry level firearms course. Once that is done take an intermediate firearms course. The people that teach these will help to guide you on proper ways to do things and legal pitfalls that can arise when a gun is used. This knowledge is imperative for anyone that wishes to own or carry a gun. If it is strictly for home use and you do not have children that require you to lock the gun you should consider a basic shotgun. Most people are terrible pistol shooters, but a shotgun is much easier to control and much easier to actually hit what you are aiming at. Consider a Mossberg...it is cheap and effective for home defense. Lastly, the OP lives in the D.C. metro area. Federal law meets state law and they DO overlap. You need to be very careful if you decide to carry in the D.C. metro area (I know because I am from there) and you cannot carry in the district even though you can carry in Virginia. Look at the reciprocity rules for Virginia permits versus Maryland permits. I am throwing all of this out there because, as a lawyer, I know how complicated this can get for anyone and especially for someone who lives in the D.C. metro area and wants to carry a firearm.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 02-24-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will take a trip to my nearest gun range and see what I like. I am a former Marine so Im not brand new to firearms, just new to ownership of one. All Ive qualified on is an M-16 and the 9mm Beretta. As for DC laws, I couldnt agree more. I actually live in VA tho.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
Look into a SPRINGFIELD XD line. I own a Compact .45 and plan to add a 9mm soon.
Superb firearm all around!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Northern Virginia? I'd get this:

Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Look into a SPRINGFIELD XD line. I own a Compact .45 and plan to add a 9mm soon.
SF fanboi here as well.

Have an XD40 V-10 edition for CC and home defense. For varmints a Springfield arms antique single shot .22 rifle ( had since I was 9yo) and a custom British .303 for long shots.

My first purchase when I was 22, Tarus PT140 Millenium Pro: ( I <3 this pic)

XD40 V-10

British .303 custom "The Deer Hunter"

Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
What really sold me on the Springfield was being at a range and test firing one with @ 150 rounds in a relatively short time. My hand was not fatigued or even painful as it was shooting different Glock models. Of course the accuracy is a plus too.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is
There are a lot of good choices out there. Determine your needs/goals, handle some guns and shoot as many different types and calibers as you can find. Familiarize yourself with the laws in you area and practice. Once the choice is made, take a good class where you shoot a few hundred rounds...make sure the class is from a certified instructor (some states require this for CCW). This is what I have handy....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H&K%20P2000SK%209mm2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	313625  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 PM

Good looks on the Springfield line .... I am on the site now
Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Maybe consider two different guns. .357 for the range and a 410 shotgun for the home protection.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=19757

With a 357 mag you can shoot both 357 and 38 ammo.

357 magnum ammo for the range and 38 bullet loaded backwards for home protection.

You don't want a powerfull 357 mag shot to go through your wall into the neighbors house. Might be best to load your own ammo.

I know this from past experience. I lived in a third floor upstairs appartment and had an intruder in the back stairwell. I confonted him with a 44 magnum revolver and was afraid to shoot him because the wall directly behind him was to another apartment. So I just fired a warning shot downward into the stairwell. He took off and I checked the stairwell that bullet penetrated all the way to the basement.

I still have the 44 and keep it loaded with the first round birdshot and four rounds of 45 ammo. I still think it is to powerfull for home defence.

The Handguns and bullets for self defense are near the bottom of this page.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/homedefense.html

Last edited by Norm37; 02-24-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6
Glock 23. .40 Cal.
+
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Captain Slow

Send a message via AIM to Shabba Send a message via MSN to Shabba Send a message via Yahoo to Shabba
Mein Auto: 2006 325i Barrique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Plus a million on this. I had a .40 XDM and, next to my Colt 1911, best pistol I ever owned. Arguably the best all around gun I've ever owned.
'91 Isuzu Stylus XS
'90 Saab 900T
'79 Datsun 280zx
'60 Jeep Willys CJ3B
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Im almost sold on the xDM. Im hoping one of these ranges have one for rent.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
+1 on XD.
Also, if you plan on going to the range frequently, take into consideration the cost of ammunition.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Colt 1911 is amazing.
Gold Cup!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
W.C. Fields: I shot a man once. Shot him twice as a matter of fact. Didn't like the way he talked to women.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
W.C. Fields: I shot a man once. Shot him twice as a matter of fact. Didn't like the way he talked to women.

Well Damn
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNYCHIRO View Post
Colt 1911 is amazing.
Gold Cup!
Did someone say "1911"??

Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM

About 10 years ago I was basically where the OP is now.

I decided Glock .40 as my first pistol.

I'm on the customer side of the display cases/glass.

On the other side was this old salty dude. I asked him like a complete noob about the stopping power of .40

He says "Imagine a Volkswagen being hurled into the center of your chest..."

I was like, that'll work.

Last edited by JONNYCHIRO; 02-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS550 View Post
Did someone say "1911"??

Please tell me that's not your private collection???? Man I'm jealous of whatever that pic is. Absolutely amazing pistol. Not seeing a Gold Cup tho...
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNYCHIRO View Post
Please tell me that's not your private collection???? Man I'm jealous of whatever that pic is. Absolutely amazing pistol. Not seeing a Gold Cup tho...
Yeah, those are mine. Wilsons, Nighthawks, Browns, Baers, a couple of Colts, 1 a Series 80 and the other an XSE Combat Elite.

You are correct though....no GC.

No safe queens either. I shoot em all.

Call it....a hobby that got a bit out of control...

And now that I look at the pic, I realize there are a couple more missing.....

Last edited by TRS550; 02-24-2012 at 02:27 PM.