Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645
whats size socket did you use?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
You should be able to get to it without moving or removing anything. I was able to unplug the connector from under the car. It can be done from up top but I wasn't sure how the connector was unlatched. Once I got the connector off I used a deep socket and a ratchet with an extention to remove the switch. I did not remove anything to get to it. It is a tight fit but doable. See the pics above. I can take more if needed.

2004 645Ci
No mods yet! Mods coming soon though
Old 11-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Big Mike Brown

Send a message via AIM to brown370
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X5 4.8i
You can change the oil pressure switch from the top.
Remove the 2 screws from the coolant tank and move it over toward the radiator. ( don't forget to unplug the sensor on the bottom of the tank)
This give you clearance to reach the switch. I believe the deep socket is 24mm. When reinstalling put some paper towel in the socket to help with installation. Other wise the switch will be pushed into the socket when trying to reinstall.
Use a BMW switch, it is about $20 bucks at the dealer. ( It centers the o-ring on the switch to prevent leaks). I installed a $8 aftermarket one and it leaked. Hope this helps!

(Previous rides)
04 BMW 645 CiC Auto
97 VW Jetta Jazz 5 SPD
06 Mazda 6 Grand Sport Auto
05 BMW X5 3.0 6 SPD
05 Infiniti G35 6 SPD
04 Volvo S60 "R" 6 SPD
99 Nissan Maxima 5 SPD
91 Nissan 300ZX 5 SPD
92 Honda Prelude Si Auto
76 Fiat Spyder 124 5 SPD
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Marine

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets, upper timing cover gaskets, alternator O-ring gasket, vacuum pump seal, and the oil pressure sensor. The only thing now that I see leaking now on my 2005 BMW 645 CI with 45,000 miles on it is the outside of the vacuum pump. Does anyone know if it is possible to take the outside face plate of the vacuum pump off in order to reseal it and stop the leaks? I was unable to find any diagrams showing the inside of the vacuum pump. I might be able to get away with using some ultra black silicone on the outside of the vacuum pump and it actually stopping the leak however I would like to fix it right if possible.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
I had an exact same leak in the position as in your top picture of the pipe. This pipe was replaced in the recall. I initially thought that it was coming from below the pipe join as when I moved the pipe it seemed that it was loose below it !
What I did was remove the holding clip and replace it with jubilee screw clip and tighten, this corrected to leak completely. I believe that many of those crimp clips used on holding pipes do not hold as well and much prefer what we call jubilee clips as in the old days!!!

I am referring to Dawg1's pictures of the vacuum pump, oops !!

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 11-12-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicus View Post
I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets, upper timing cover gaskets, alternator O-ring gasket, vacuum pump seal, and the oil pressure sensor. The only thing now that I see leaking now on my 2005 BMW 645 CI with 45,000 miles on it is the outside of the vacuum pump. Does anyone know if it is possible to take the outside face plate of the vacuum pump off in order to reseal it and stop the leaks? I was unable to find any diagrams showing the inside of the vacuum pump. I might be able to get away with using some ultra black silicone on the outside of the vacuum pump and it actually stopping the leak however I would like to fix it right if possible.

There is a o-ring on the outside of the vacuum pump that can be replaced. There was someone with a breakdown of the vacuum pump a while back. Did you get all of your sensor problems resolved?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Marine

Yes i have already replaced the O-ring which solved one leak. Where it is leaking at now is from the very edge of the vacuum pump towards the front of the vehicle. There is a plate on the front of the vacuum pump that you can see it looking at the engine from the outside. it appears that is how they installed all the internals. I was wondering if I can take that outside plate off without anything inside falling apart. There is only four bolts holding it in place so it would be really easy to take off I just don't want the vacuum pump to fall apart when I unbolt that front plate
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Marine

Post 1 and 14 show a good view of the plate on the outside of the pump that I am talking about. Also post 20 shows some of the bolts if you are confused on the part of the vacuum pump that I am talking about
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Re: 645ci Oil Leak help - have pic

I'm sorry for bringing up an old thread. My vacuum pump is leaking and I am hoping someone can help. The link to the diy tis is no longer available so hoping someone has saved it that they can share. Also looks like the difficult part is lining up the crankshaft if anyone can help to go into this more detail. Does anyone have the part number ...can't find on tirsker.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
It's a pretty ease and straight forward process. About a hour worth if work strt to finish. I'll see if I can find some info for you.

2004 645Ci
No mods yet! Mods coming soon though
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec View Post
I'm sorry for bringing up an old thread. My vacuum pump is leaking and I am hoping someone can help. The link to the diy tis is no longer available so hoping someone has saved it that they can share. Also looks like the difficult part is lining up the crankshaft if anyone can help to go into this more detail. Does anyone have the part number ...can't find on tirsker.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BimmerApp mobile app
Lining up the crank is actually not difficult at all. You can use a 27mm socket to turn the center crank at the bottom of the engine. Or, as was done by another member, just grab the serpentine belt in two places and rotating that way. No need for tools at all in that situation!

You did pick up a really old thread, move yourself over to this one, Nitrogen provides detailed pic's, later on I have a tool list and link to the seals that you can buy, also links to other threads that are of value in researching what needs to be done. Using the serpentine belt to align crank is near the bottom and suggested by Skarv:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=673934
Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
When replacing the pump, just eyeball the slot in the cam. Set the notch on the vacuum pump in that direction, then work it in. There is enough play to spin the vacuum pump, to help align the two. While you have the pump out, replace the oil sensor.

Good Luck!