Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: X328i
Voice recognition button not working

Hello everyone. I've got the Cold Weather and Premium packages on our X3 28i and I'm hoping that I didn't mess up with having to have had an additional package installed in order to have the voice recognition button to work on the steering wheel.

Does that button only work if Navigation is installed or is there possibly something going on with the car that I should contact my CA about?

I've held the button down for 3 seconds (and longer) without any beep or any other indication that the system is starting up. Nor are there any options for it in the "Settings" screen.

I've successfully paired my wife's iPhone to the car through bluetooth and we can use the phone button located next to the voice recognition button without any issues to scroll through the phone book to place and end a call.

I'm a bit frustrated that I can't access the voice recognition but otherwise it's awesome. We just recently went over 1000 miles and I'm liking driving it even though it's her car.

Thanks for your input.
Ads by Google
Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X3
voice command sucks anyways... just use the buttons on the side of the spin wheel. Anyways, it shouldnt take more then one press down, (not extended pressing i.e. 3 secs). I feel like voice command should work with out navigation, I believe it is standard but don't hold me to it. Navigation is worth though anyways so, might as well add it. Enjoy
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest149 View Post
Anyways, it shouldnt take more then one press down, (not extended pressing i.e. 3 secs).
dest159, thanks for your reply. I've tried to just press the button as well with no result. It just doesn't work with either a button press or holding the button down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest149 View Post
Navigation is worth though anyways so, might as well add it. Enjoy
Navigation wasn't really worth it to me. I'd much rather use that money for something else (like a tow hitch and other goodies including a gps unit) than pay out for it. I did test drive a 35i with the navigation and all the other bells and whistles and I didn't fall in love with it.

In any regards, I've already got the car in my possession and can't add any factory install features to it. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
I am pretty sure that voice command button on the wheel should work with or without Nav. We use ours frequently to place calls and navigate through iDrive. It is pretty intuitive. One thing to check; in the iDrive settings go to Settings>Language and make sure there is a value selected there - probably English. Other than that, once you press the button on the steering wheel you should hear tone indicating it is ready to receive a command. Likewise when it is waiting on a voice command I THINK it shows a little voice icon on the screen in between the speedo and tach.

If you press that button on the wheel and nothing happens I would certainly have it looked at.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhnx View Post
dest159, thanks for your reply. I've tried to just press the button as well with no result. It just doesn't work with either a button press or holding the button down.

Navigation wasn't really worth it to me. I'd much rather use that money for something else (like a tow hitch and other goodies including a gps unit) than pay out for it. I did test drive a 35i with the navigation and all the other bells and whistles and I didn't fall in love with it.

In any regards, I've already got the car in my possession and can't add any factory install features to it. Thanks.
+1 on the tow hitch (although I would just get both )
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
One thing to check; in the iDrive settings go to Settings>Language and make sure there is a value selected there - probably English.
n55x3,
Thanks for the info. I did go into the settings and verify that English was selected as the language. I selected a different language and then reselected English. Again nothing happened when the button was pressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
If you press that button on the wheel and nothing happens I would certainly have it looked at.
I'd asked in the forums if should work because in the manual, the voice recognition chapter has an asterisk next to the title. I'd assumed that this implied that this isn't always a standard feature. Thanks for your help. I'll be getting in touch with my SA to ask him what's going on.

N
Old 07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Voice control, if included, would be bundled with the BMW Assist and Bluetooth, which is not part of Premium package but you said you have Bluetooth. You should not need to hold the button down, just briefly press the button.

Without navigation, Voice Control only has Telefon functionality, i.e for storing names and numbers and dialing them. It may be that Voice Control is also no longer bundled with Bluetooth.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 07-13-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:53 PM

So I ended up speaking with my SA when I took in my X3 for the broken passenger window (anti-trap warning and all that in a separate thread ... Passenger window died by mike535xi).

He said that voice recognition was a feature only with the BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth. I wish I had known that or that it had been pointed out to me before I pulled the trigger when I had our X3 built. Going back and looking at bmwusa.com I don't see it spelled it out that I need the BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth in order to get the voice recognition. Unfortunately my SA didn't mention it to me in the order process but then I don't recall specifically mentioning it to him either, maybe in passing.

I've always loved voice recognition since my Motorola MPx220 windows mobile phone back in the early 2000's. I never thought that a feature that's been present all these years would be something that would be considered an addon ... especially in a package that doesn't mention the feature.

It's not the end of the world but every time I look down at the steering wheel and see that button. argh.

Last edited by singhnx; 08-26-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: corrected html tag