Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
exhaust burns

anyone know if there's been any information/concerns circulating about leg burns from the exhaust on bmw's? i googled it and only saw reference to mini coopers, but am a new owner of a bmw 528i, and burned my leg pretty bad as i was unloading groceries from the trunk. my despite warnings to family members, my niece burned her leg the very next day. i have to think this is not isolated, and would be a major safety concern. thanks.
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
This is the first I have ever heard of this being an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Sorry to hear about your burn but....

Looking at pics of a 2011 528i rear I would put the risk of burning yourself on the exhaust tips up there with burning yourself by sticking your hand in a toaster.

The tips do not protrude beyond the bumper so I can't image how you could get your leg under there. I could see a kid touching hot pipes but this in the same category as touching hot stove burners, not the oven manufactures fault.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
What year is your car?

Does it have the stock exhaust?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
If you purchased a pre-owned 528 maybe chrome exhaust tips have been added that protude out to far.

Link 2011 BMW 528 Exterior Photos.

http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-528-2011/photos/

From the pictures it seems it would be pretty hard to get a burn from the stock exhaust.

Now you could get a burn from the exhaust gas if the engine was running while unloading.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Sorry to hear about your burn but....

Looking at pics of a 2011 528i rear I would put the risk of burning yourself on the exhaust tips up there with burning yourself by sticking your hand in a toaster.

The tips do not protrude beyond the bumper so I can't image how you could get your leg under there. I could see a kid touching hot pipes but this in the same category as touching hot stove burners, not the oven manufactures fault.
Likewise, I am sorry anyone got hurt, but looking at the placement of the exhaust on photos of my 528i (on its way from the port in NJ) and standing behind my 325xi, it does seem like it would be a very unnatural position to be taking groceries out of the trunk. The exhaust is pretty well to the side and doesn't protrude.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Right after I purchased my 08 550, I burned my leg on the exhaust tip when I was unloading the trunk with the car parked in the garage. The clearance between the car and the back of the garage (actually, the crap I have stored in the garage!!) is pretty tight, so I was up close to the car, but I had never done that with my previous cars. Now I'm just more careful. I'm also concerned when I put my car cover on, I'd hate to get a call from Parking Lot Security at work to tell me my car was on fire in the parking lot!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
that was exactly the situation; car backed into garage, and while there was ample room to the back wall, it was also confined space. thanks all for your posts! as it relates to the toaster burn analogy... obviously the exhaust pipes protrude for me to have burned the back of my leg/calf. my legs weren't and are not under the car as i unload groceries. my niece's burn was also from unloading something from the truck. bought the car brand new, and just didn't realize the pipes aren't their standard pipes used on all models. now, given some of the other features of my car, it actually makes sense... just don't recall the exhaust ever being mentioned during purchase. thanks again!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:08 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldbayern View Post
but am a new owner of a bmw 528i,
Quote:
my niece's burn was also from unloading something from the truck.

bought the car brand new, and just didn't realize the pipes aren't their standard pipes used on all models.

I'm confused.

What did the dealer / modifier do??? If the vehicle was modified, you could go back and ask them to put the exhaust into a safer configuration. If the car came that way from the factory, you should make a warranty claim.

Photos would be helpful.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 07-19-2011 at 08:51 AM.