Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
How much does the sport package improve the ride in X3?

I got to test drive a standard X3, was a little underwhelmed. How much will the sport package or the m sport change its driving dynamics?

I know it is not fair to compare a crossover to a sport sedan, but I'd like to have a much sportier X3 than the standard package can offer.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
That's a good question, as practically no dealers will pay to equip their inventory with an option that 99% of test drivers won't notice. There are a few folks with the option though (via orders).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Sport mode on the 35i tightens up the steering and firms up the ride quite a bit. Not cushy at all when in sport mode.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Sport mode on the 35i tightens up the steering and firms up the ride quite a bit. Not cushy at all when in sport mode.
Does that require the Dynamic Handling Package?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Does that require the Dynamic Handling Package?
Not necessarily. Driving Dynamic Control (and respective button on the shifter console) comes with the Sport Automatic Getriebe and allows for alteration of throttle control, shift points, and steering.

The specific option you are looking for is the Dynamic Damper Control (SA 223) that also allows for alteration of suspension settings via the same button on the shifters.

BMW NA has done to considerable lengths to tailor option packages to suit dealer and US market preferences (namely, big wheels and sporty accents without the "real" sporty handling). So naturally it's gotten confusing.

M Sportpaket and Sport Activity Paket are appearance only. There is no suspension upgrade. The former also requires the Premium packet.

Dynamic Handling Paket gives you the Dynamic Damper Control, rear diff (Performance Control), and steering upgrades (Sport Steering).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Does that require the Dynamic Handling Package?
No. If you get the sport activity packagen the 35i, you can change from normal to sport, to sport + mode. The I-drive shows the suspension change to sport mode which is stiffer and the steering becomes more tight. Check out his link on the forum as this topic has been debated at length and has been explained by a few members here very well:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=mole

It should help you when making your decision.

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 07-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:12 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
After reading that thread, do I get this right?

If I order a 35i, adding the SAP will give me pretty much all the performance enhancing features as a daily driver.

But if I order a 28i, must order both the SAP and the DHP for those features.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
After reading that thread, do I get this right?

If I order a 35i, adding the SAP will give me pretty much all the performance enhancing features as a daily driver.

But if I order a 28i, must order both the SAP and the DHP for those features.
Correct.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Correct.
Thank you, wasn't sure I was reading everyone correctly there
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM
DaleWA DaleWA is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i/2011 X3 35i
AznMpower32 is more correct.

X3 35i has 3 available dampers: base, sport suspension and DDC. MSport without DHP has base dampers. There is no electrical connection to vary the damping rate. How do I know? The part number on the dampers on my car (MSport 35i w/o DHP) are the base damper part numbers. That said, I'm happy with the ride after coming from an E46 Sport Package, but have not had an opportunity to push it. It's definitely softer and pitches a bit under acceleration and braking.
__________________
2004 Z4 3.0i / 2011 X3 35i
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleWA View Post
AznMpower32 is more correct.

X3 35i has 3 available dampers: base, sport suspension and DDC. MSport without DHP has base dampers. There is no electrical connection to vary the damping rate. How do I know? The part number on the dampers on my car (MSport 35i w/o DHP) are the base damper part numbers. That said, I'm happy with the ride after coming from an E46 Sport Package, but have not had an opportunity to push it. It's definitely softer and pitches a bit under acceleration and braking.
So a 28i with SAP and DHP would have them all, albeit with a less powerful engine.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
So a 28i with SAP and DHP would have them all, albeit with a less powerful engine.
Yes.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Yes.
One thing I must say though, trying to convince the wife to move from the GLK350 to the X3 will be a tough job. Not only is the GLK sticker $5k less than a similarly equiped X3 28i, it also has a much more aggressive lease program than the X3. Not to mention most X3s are shipped to China, the supply is so tight here there are no deals.

The X3 has to really impress me in the handling department to have a shot, which will likely require DHP, yet there is none available to test drive.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2011, 01:37 PM
No12 No12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Western Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
One thing I must say though, trying to convince the wife to move from the GLK350 to the X3 will be a tough job. Not only is the GLK sticker $5k less than a similarly equiped X3 28i, it also has a much more aggressive lease program than the X3.
Having driven the GLK on several separate occasions, in both urban and rural settings, I can say that the GLK feels like a heavy truck compared to either X3. I could not believe how sluggish the GLK felt to me.

But if your wife insists on the GLK and you're stuck with it, suck it up and move on - there are worse vehicles.
__________________
2014 MINI Cooper S, Thunder Grey, 6MT
Gone: 2012 135i Coupe, Jet Black, MSport, 6MT
Gone: 2012 135i Coupe,LeMans Blue, MSport, DCT, Prem
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2011, 01:48 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
Having driven the GLK on several separate occasions, in both urban and rural settings, I can say that the GLK feels like a heavy truck compared to either X3. I could not believe how sluggish the GLK felt to me.

But if your wife insists on the GLK and you're stuck with it, suck it up and move on - there are worse vehicles.
Between a base engine X3 without the sport pack, and the GLK, the difference in handling wasn't so obvious, which is why I want to find out how much improvement the SAP and DHP can have.

I knew if I asked her to test drive a base X3 with the standard suspension, it would have been a waste of time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 969
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Have her drive a 35i with the sport activity package and put it in sport mode while driving it. If that doesn't sway her DHP won't either.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Have her drive a 35i with the sport activity package and put it in sport mode while driving it. If that doesn't sway her DHP won't either.
I like the idea, I was thinking how was I going to find a 28i with SAP and DHP to test drive anyway.

Now is it fair to say if she likes the 35i with SAP, it is safe to order her a 28i with SAP and DHP, and still be able to sleep in the same bed with her?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:07 PM
No12 No12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Western Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Between a base engine X3 without the sport pack, and the GLK, the difference in handling wasn't so obvious, which is why I want to find out how much improvement the SAP and DHP can have.

I knew if I asked her to test drive a base X3 with the standard suspension, it would have been a waste of time.
I beg to differ. I drove a 28i, no sport, shortly after I drove a GLK. The GLK still felt "trucky" and sluggish. Against the 35i with sport, different worlds, totally.

Check this out: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...s-benz-glk350/
__________________
2014 MINI Cooper S, Thunder Grey, 6MT
Gone: 2012 135i Coupe, Jet Black, MSport, 6MT
Gone: 2012 135i Coupe,LeMans Blue, MSport, DCT, Prem
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.

Last edited by No12; 07-16-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:52 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I will definitely find a 35i SAP to drive.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM
BruceOmega BruceOmega is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alexandria VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 451
Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleWA View Post
AznMpower32 is more correct.

X3 35i has 3 available dampers: base, sport suspension and DDC. MSport without DHP has base dampers. There is no electrical connection to vary the damping rate. How do I know? The part number on the dampers on my car (MSport 35i w/o DHP) are the base damper part numbers. That said, I'm happy with the ride after coming from an E46 Sport Package, but have not had an opportunity to push it. It's definitely softer and pitches a bit under acceleration and braking.
Thank you for providing the missing link- a data point from BMW that clarifies the issue.

The only other reference I've seen from BMW is a post in another forum of an email response from BMW NA explicitly stating there are no adjustments to the suspension unless you have the Dynamic Handling Package.

What is interesting is I have not seen any disagreement that engaging Sport mode via the rocker switch does make a difference in driving feel, independent of whether the vehicle has DHP or not, and just how much of a difference the addition of DHP makes.

Thanks
Bruce
__________________
2013 335i xDrive, Mineral Grey, Sportline, Black/Red leather, Dynamic Handling, Sport AT, Performance Tires, Increased Top Speed, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, HK audio
2011 X3 35i, Titanium Silver, Black Nevada, Fineline Wave Wood, Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Sport Activity, 19" wheels, Premium Hi-Fi, Sat Radio
2008 535Xi retired
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,962
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
It is disappointing how un-detailed the BMW NA website is (like that's new news). The German brochure AND Configurator on BMW.de are explicitly clear on what changes when specific options are chosen so there's no confusion as to what you're getting. The level of detail is excellent and given how many models and permutations are available in Germany, some folks must have taken a lot of time to iron those items out!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM
BruceOmega BruceOmega is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alexandria VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 451
Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
It is disappointing how un-detailed the BMW NA website is (like that's new news). The German brochure AND Configurator on BMW.de are explicitly clear on what changes when specific options are chosen so there's no confusion as to what you're getting. The level of detail is excellent and given how many models and permutations are available in Germany, some folks must have taken a lot of time to iron those items out!
Thank you, did not realize there was explicit information on the German website.

I'm surprised BMW hasn't provided more details on the US web site. If they had a better explanation of the differences between non DHP and DHP, they might get more people opting for DHP.

Bruce
__________________
2013 335i xDrive, Mineral Grey, Sportline, Black/Red leather, Dynamic Handling, Sport AT, Performance Tires, Increased Top Speed, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, HK audio
2011 X3 35i, Titanium Silver, Black Nevada, Fineline Wave Wood, Premium, Technology, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Sport Activity, 19" wheels, Premium Hi-Fi, Sat Radio
2008 535Xi retired
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM
mspringer mspringer is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: M3 & X3
DTC100

I just took PDC delivery of a 35i with sport package and DHP. When testing prior to ordering I was fortunate enough to be able to try cars with the base, the sports, and sports + DHP packages. Like you I found the base suspension to be under-damped, and had a similar experience with the sports suspension (which I believe is identical to the base - see realoem.com). In any case both lack active suspension components so I don't see how changes in chassis stiffness is possible on going to sport mode in the SAP car. I ended up choosing to order DHP since the adjustable shocks reduced the under-damped condition in the sport mode. I got the sport package for the seats and paddles. My experience after driving the car for ~ 1000 miles is it's under-damped in normal mode, and the extent of under-damping is reduced by going to sport mode. Will it be acceptable to you? Only by finding one to try will you know for sure.

Marty
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM
zak52 zak52 is offline
Registered User
Location: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: BMW X3
I have the 'dynamic package' on my 2.0d F25 and it feels tighter than the demonstrator I drove. Little body roll, nicely controllable on bendy roads though maybe a tad choppy on uneven tarmac. Seems great on unsealed roads though, soaking up minor uneveness well, you hear the surface noise but the car rides nice and smoothly, encourages you to go faster! The car has 18inch alloys and the 8sp auto. Can't fault the thing, much nicer than the Land Rover Freelander I test drove, though maybe not as competent off-road.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-17-2011, 03:10 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspringer View Post
DTC100

I just took PDC delivery of a 35i with sport package and DHP. When testing prior to ordering I was fortunate enough to be able to try cars with the base, the sports, and sports + DHP packages. Like you I found the base suspension to be under-damped, and had a similar experience with the sports suspension (which I believe is identical to the base - see realoem.com). In any case both lack active suspension components so I don't see how changes in chassis stiffness is possible on going to sport mode in the SAP car. I ended up choosing to order DHP since the adjustable shocks reduced the under-damped condition in the sport mode. I got the sport package for the seats and paddles. My experience after driving the car for ~ 1000 miles is it's under-damped in normal mode, and the extent of under-damping is reduced by going to sport mode. Will it be acceptable to you? Only by finding one to try will you know for sure.

Marty
OK thanks. This makes finding one more difficult since I have yet found one with DHP that was not a special order, meaning could not test drive it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms