Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328XI
E90 Spark Plug Replacement DIY Questions

I have a 2007 328xi and I need to change the spark plugs. I purchased the Bosch spark plug from a local auto parts store (part number FR7NPP332).

Questions:
1.) What should be the gap setting (0.039, 0.04, or 0.044)?
2.) The hex nut on the spark plug is 5/8"? Do I need special socket to install this like (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00930875000P) or can I just buy a 5/8" deep 6 pt socket? My local auto parts store only carries the 6pt 5/8"?
3.) If I need the special tool, then what size does it need to be because I couldn't get the 6 pt 14 mm socket to hold the spark plug?

Here is the DIY link as a reference.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174217
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142679

Any other info would be greatly appreciated?

Many Thanks for your guidance.
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw 2005 545
I am in the same boat I was just researching do I need a special socket. I have a 05 545i but could not find an answer.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335I
I've worked on replacing spark plugs on my old Grand Prix and I think all cars use spark plugs with porcelain on them. The porcelain part is why you need a spark plug socket. The spark plug socket usually has a rubber cushion inside it so you do not break the porcelain on the spark plug when installing it. Look at the enclosed link to see if you can find the size you are looking for.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/searc...rk+plug+socket
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328XI
Here is an update from replacing my spark plug this weekend on an e90.

The OEM Spark plugs that I removed were Bosch. The gap setting should be 0.044.

You do not need a special spark plug socket to replace it. A standard 5/8" deep socket (6 point) works just fine.

I initially set the gap setting to 0.039 but that resulted in the engine vibrating so I reset it to 0.044 (what the old plugs were when I removed them) and that fixed the problem. However, the enigne service soon light is still visible. I wonder if I have to wait a little bit before the car clears it out?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
In case someone runs across this post, only the twin turbo engines nee the special tool for 07-09
Old 09-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i (e90)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmatrix View Post
Here is an update from replacing my spark plug this weekend on an e90.

The OEM Spark plugs that I removed were Bosch. The gap setting should be 0.044.

You do not need a special spark plug socket to replace it. A standard 5/8" deep socket (6 point) works just fine.

I initially set the gap setting to 0.039 but that resulted in the engine vibrating so I reset it to 0.044 (what the old plugs were when I removed them) and that fixed the problem. However, the enigne service soon light is still visible. I wonder if I have to wait a little bit before the car clears it out?

You might need to have it cleared by itself, if its not a 'pending' code it won't go away. I live in new jersey and here the gas station attendants pump your car, a couple of times they've not tighted the cap all the way to where the car wont know that the gas cap is open and it gives you an image but it will give you the SES light for small evap leak. Thinking that it would reset, i ran my car for a couple days with it on, still didnt go away, so i tried taking off the battery, and it was still lit. Your best bet is a 10 dollar usb obd II code reader . Works wonders. Best of luck!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 87 E30 325i
These Bosch plugs are pre-gapped. So out of the box they do not adjustment except maybe if you drop it on the floor. If you must gap them the new gap is spec'd @ 0.040"

Last edited by onager; 04-11-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: additional info