Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci 2004 X5
Faulty sunroof and uncaring bmw consumer relations

A tale of woe familiar to some of you on this forum. Earlier this year my wife's 2004 X5 pano sunroof failed to close properly, with the rear panel stuck open. Having read this forum, I knew that BMW had made a faulty product. But in hopes of getting some consideration from BMW, I started by taking the X5 to South Bay BMW in Torrance.

I got the party line - it's $5100 to replace, $3500 to rebuild (presumably with the same crappy components). I pointed out that the car had only 43K miles on it; and perhaps BMW would consider sharing in some of the pain, given the relative light use of the vehicle.

All I heard was "your car is out of warranty" (repeat several times).

Not having the scratch at the time, my wife went to pick up the X5. SBBMW disconnected the sunroof to prevent further damage - and left the interior sunshade half open as well. They also left the car covered in filth inside and out, made my spouse walk to the end of the parking lot to retrieve, and refused her requests for a wash (Side note: repeated calls to SBBMW to complain about the treatment of my spouse went unanswered, if any one from that dealership reads this website). So now I'm really PO'd.

Called BMW's consumer relations - got to a supervisor.

Repeat after me: "Your car is out of warranty". Oh, and we don't control the dealerships and what they do, so sorry.

Wrote a registered letter to Jim ODonnell, CEO of BMW NA. Received a phone call from one of his assistants, who promised that their Consumer Relations group would evaluate the merits of the case, and it would take 7-10 days.

Oops. Only took a half a day. Repeat after me: Your car is out of warranty.

I did receive the explanation that BMW doesn't feel the problem with the pano sunroofs is pervasive enough to justify any action on their part.

It's unfortunate that a company that packages itself as a luxury brand treats its consumers so poorly. I accept that the BMW will require a higher level and cost of maintenance. But consumers should not have to bear the full costs of fixing a defect in construction or design.
It's unfortunate that BMW, despite its image of a luxury branded company, treats its consumers so poorly. I expect better treatment - even if I don't like the answer - at least treat me as a valued customer. And from BMW, I expect a better answer than having to replace the entire casette at $5K a pop.

Hopefully this post doesn't come across like so much whining - but I've had it in dealing with BMW. If BMW isn't going to consider my case at least engage me on a personal level so that, maybe, perhaps, BMW has a chance at keeping me as a BMW consumer.
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5 E53
Have a look on xoutpost, as there are quite a few on there with a similar problem

One of them has a fix were you disconnect the front portion from the rear and use as normal but the rear will not open.

Others have bought a replacement part to cure the problem, but they all say it's the labour that costs the money

So glad mine has not got this pig of a roof

Phil
Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
You expect far too much from BMW. There are numerous problem areas on BMW vehicles that have resulted in many customers reporting stories such as your story. I bought a CPO that had never had the CPO inspection. When I reported my 14 service visits in 3 months to BMW NA I also got the "Oh, and we don't control the dealerships and what they do, so sorry." line. BMW NA just do not care. Dealers also seem to vary in approaches; Some care about winning repeat purchases others seem only to favor those who buy every two years. After 7 years with our current BMW and having owned a total of 6 BMW vehicles since the mid-70's I can say the X5 is our last. We replaced our "other' vehicle earlier this year and went with a Toyota. One of the factors deciding this was a comment from a BMW Service Adviser when we were dropping off our X5 for service and getting a Toyota loaner. I asked why the dealership did not offer BMW loaners and was told "They are far too expensive to service and break down too often to offer as loaners!"
I took this nugget and ran with it when it was time to replace our Explorer.