Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: Mustang
Question Radio problem

I guess I asked about this problem in the wrong Z4 forum.

I'm a newbie to BMW's and Z4's. I've a '03 Z4 Dinan, pristine, and low mileage.

About two weeks ago I parked the car, and left town. I've had a water leak problem somewhere in the trunk and the battery compartment had water in it. I think it may have come from water wicking down the cords which secure my mini topper, but that is subject to more investigation and discussion.

Yesterday, I decided to take the car for a ride. The radio seemed to work, but no sound at all. I tried the CD player, and same thing...silence. In scrolling through the radio messages, I saw a msg. REG OFF.

I checked the radio manual and no notation was made for that. There is mention of the radio or CD not working when temperatures are extremely high. Here in MN we have had about a month of extreme rains, very high temperatures and literal saturation points with our humidity.

Is there a correlation in this and the fact my radio quit working. There was no indication of a problem prior to my taking the car out last night.

I'm baffled by this. Also trying to figure out where the leakage is coming from.

No, I don't have a garage for this car...damnit!!
Ads by Google
Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Underachiever

Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
The stereo amp in BMW's are usually in the trunk..might have gotten wet. My .02c worth..
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks much. I believe that is what happened. I talked with a radio tech today and he was of the same opinion. He said to check the fuses, as he did not have time today. Now to find a good diagram of where the fuses are located which serve the radio cirucuits. I think 47 and 50 are the numbers, now to find the location of those two. I know the fuse block is in the glove box area, but they are clear as to where the specific fuse is.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Underachiever

Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
You might check the amp and the connectors, if they got wet you can use a blowdryer on them.
Yes, fuses are a good idea.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM

The fuses which serve the radio are 47 and 50, according to the white card diagram. I can't figure which ones are 47 and 50.

Anyone know where the count on these start?

As usual, any help is appreciated.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 2.5i
It took me a while to figure out that card diagram, but if you look closely you should see numbers on the fuse block. Also look for a pattern of fuses (like 3 7.5 amp fuses together on the card and then find them on the block, etc).

I'd be more inclined to say that the problem is your amp and not the fuses because the radio itself works. I had a similar problem, but it was after I removed the amp, so the water just sat there around the battery and my current wiring. This is a cue that you might want to make sure your top drains are clear. (to answer your question about where the leak is coming from) Chances are that your convertible top motor is sitting in a pool of water too. This same thing happened to me, and about a month after I found water around the battery, my top motor died. That repair by BMW or any shop will be $1500+, so just warning you. Also, did you park on a hill, nose-end up? This will cause the water that is pooling around the top motor to roll back into the trunk and pool around the battery.

Let me know if you need an amp, since I yanked mine out when I replaced my stereo. I'm not trying to shamelessly plug a sale, but if it's what you need, I can help you out for way less than what BMW would charge you for a new one since it's just sitting around collecting dust.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Good Information....

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0n1c View Post
It took me a while to figure out that card diagram, but if you look closely you should see numbers on the fuse block. Also look for a pattern of fuses (like 3 7.5 amp fuses together on the card and then find them on the block, etc).

I'd be more inclined to say that the problem is your amp and not the fuses because the radio itself works. I had a similar problem, but it was after I removed the amp, so the water just sat there around the battery and my current wiring. This is a cue that you might want to make sure your top drains are clear. (to answer your question about where the leak is coming from) Chances are that your convertible top motor is sitting in a pool of water too. This same thing happened to me, and about a month after I found water around the battery, my top motor died. That repair by BMW or any shop will be $1500+, so just warning you. Also, did you park on a hill, nose-end up? This will cause the water that is pooling around the top motor to roll back into the trunk and pool around the battery.

Let me know if you need an amp, since I yanked mine out when I replaced my stereo. I'm not trying to shamelessly plug a sale, but if it's what you need, I can help you out for way less than what BMW would charge you for a new one since it's just sitting around collecting dust.
Thanks much for the good information. I'm trying to locate a Haynes Manual to check how to access some of the workings of this vehicle. I did locate the fuses via the numbers. Took some cross lighting with a flashlight and the ability of a contortionist to do so. Now to pull them, but figure you are correct in the assessment of the amp. I will let you know on that, and if I need one, will see if we can do some business.

This car has been garaged all the time the former owner had it; i.e., in the garage in bad weather and winter. I would like to locate those drains and the top motor so I can check as per your suggestion.

I'll stay in touch on this.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoflash View Post
I would like to locate those drains and the top motor so I can check as per your suggestion.
Not to jack your thread here, but this is what you might want to see:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=392458

The pics in that thread are from Shipkiller, who wrote the very detailed and highly praised DIY for removing the convertible top and replacing the motor. He just gives a basic example of the gunk that can get stuck in those drains. They're easily accessible if you remove the top, but that's a lot of work to do (especially by yourself). There are guides around that will explain how to clear the drains from below the car, by removing the plastic in the wheel well instead, which is by far easier than removing the top.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: just bought 2005 z4
Question new member

i am a BMW "2005" 2500 charcoal gray owner looking for diagnostic and reset tool.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0n1c View Post
Not to jack your thread here, but this is what you might want to see:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=392458

The pics in that thread are from Shipkiller, who wrote the very detailed and highly praised DIY for removing the convertible top and replacing the motor. He just gives a basic example of the gunk that can get stuck in those drains. They're easily accessible if you remove the top, but that's a lot of work to do (especially by yourself). There are guides around that will explain how to clear the drains from below the car, by removing the plastic in the wheel well instead, which is by far easier than removing the top.
www.shipkiller.com
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams