Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
iPhone Error 53 is pretty messed

Actually that is Fuc*ed up of Apple to do. If a person buys any product they should be able to repair it where ever they want in my opinion. It is the choice of the end user and not Apple to make. I would hate for BMW or any other car manufacturer to disable my car for not servicing it at the local dealership instead of serving it myself or allowing another 3rd party person to service it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/5/109...ir-third-party

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...d-party-repair
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 02-05-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Ha! You beat me to it. I just read that on the Guardian and came to post it.

And with phone screen repair kiosks at every little mall, there will be hundreds of thousands of people with a deliberately bricked phone.

That projected lower iPhone unit sale this year exposed this company true colors.

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-06-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Ha! You beat me to it. I just read that on the Guardian and came to post it.

And with phone screen repair kiosk at every little mall, there will be hundreds of thousands of people with a deliberately bricked phone.

That projected lower iPhone unit sale this year exposed this company true colors.

I think Apple will run into legal issues in many countries due to this. Many countries have laws that go against such actions that Apple is imposing upon buyers of Apple products. I like Apple products and use Apple products but this is literally a Fuc*ed up thing to do.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-05-2016, 08:40 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Expect BMW to adopt this idea soon.
2008 E91 station wagon 23K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 rear headrest mount and built-in remote display, Cocomats (back to the 1970s!), Dunlop Winter Sports

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shiftright View Post
Expect BMW to adopt this idea soon.

Americans live to work on their cars. Too many car enthusiasts in America. Whether it be smartphones, computers, cars or motorcycles this is not something many Americans if any would accept although some out there will test the water to see if they can get away with it.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F12
Ah, freedom of choice.

I don't think this deserve the hoopla it is getting.
And Apple did address it today by explaining this is done to keep the contents relating to Touch ID safe from malicious capture. I did wonder how much sense that made. They had told us prior that everything is encrypted.

Still, why would one even take your phone to a 3rd place anyway?
Are you going to go to stand at the mall or a hole in the wall to save money? How do you know their are using quality parts?

If the Apple Store didn't do a good job, then of course there would be room for more serious competition and quality work.

The comparison to BMW is a parallel at best, not a direct one. The service sucks balls at many dealerships. This forces many to seek alternatives.

Anyway, give it a couple of years. Apple is on the way of screwing itself anyway. There is no way things will hold up once management turn over sets-in, not that it's been particularly good after the poor S. Jobs anyway. The current Mac OS X version is the worst I have ever seen and iOS is now bloated and riddled with bugs.

Last edited by SanDiegoF12; 02-05-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoF12 View Post
Ah, freedom of choice.

I don't think this deserve the hoopla it is getting.
And Apple did address it today by explaining this is done to keep the contents relating to Touch ID safe from malicious capture. I did wonder how much sense that made. They had told us prior that everything is encrypted.

Still, why would one even take your phone to a 3rd place anyway?
Are you going to go to stand at the mall or a hole in the wall to save money? How do you know their are using quality parts?

If the Apple Store didn't do a good job, then of course there would be room for more serious competition and quality work.

The comparison to BMW is a parallel at best, not a direct one. The service sucks balls at many dealerships. This forces many to seek alternatives.

Anyway, give it a couple of years. Apple is on the way of screwing itself anyway. There is no way things will hold up once management turn over sets-in, not that it's been particularly good after the poor S. Jobs anyway. The current Mac OS X version is the worst I have ever seen and iOS is now bloated and riddled with bugs.

This also applies to the screen as well. People should have the choice to use OEM parts or after market parts just like for cars or any other item.

When we need batteries for our remote control or car we should be able to buy any batteries we want and not need to get one just from the original manufacturer. That would create monopolies which is illegal in many countries.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM

You think there will be better parts from 3rd parties than what Apple uses itself?

I would not compare a screen to batteries.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 PM

iPhone Error 53 is pretty messed

Quote:
You think there will be better parts from 3rd parties than what Apple uses itself?

I would not compare a screen to batteries.

You could get just as good or worse screen panels on market today. Believe it or not the same screens make it on to the market to be sold as well. One way or another those screens make it to the market out of each factory. In my opinion some will be as good or better and others worse. There are so many Chinese manufacturers making smartphones today that they have mastered these screens by now (Don't forget Korea too).
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 PM

But you don't know what screen you are getting. I know, a friend had 22 of those "repair" shops. In the end, there was no way to make money if he didn't use cheap crap replacement parts. Everyone would come in expecting to have their device fixed for free.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
it's a matter of Touch ID integrity... simple as that

Mess with Touch ID components and the security goes away.

Pretty black and white to me
Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
it's a matter of Touch ID integrity... simple as that

Mess with Touch ID components and the security goes away.

Pretty black and white to me

That part sounds fair enough to me. If the software can recognize that it was changed it should be able to recognize if it is an original OEM part or not. They could void warranty of end user wished to use a non OEM part.

What are your thoughts about the screen part or battery? No security related services there..
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 PM

More from Gizmodo
http://gizmodo.com/apple-confirms-th...n-i-1757330938
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I actually diy my apple repairs. Screen, batts. All psrts are sorced via a large wholesaler. I suspect parts are from the vendor Apple uses. I've never had an issue but have not replaced a touch sensor. Screen yes. Ipad, iPhones. Mine, kids, inlaws, friends

Apple stores don't do crap. To my knowledge the don't open anything...you go there for repair all the fo is swap fir a refurb.

I've definitely got a problem w this, Apple could simply disable the feature if it fails security check, and not brick. But I suspect jail breaking might be a path to a fix
Old 02-06-2016, 08:28 AM

That link goes to a page repeating the same info we already all had.

I stopped reading Gizmodo after the crap they pulled on Apple a few years ago. All there is left now is shreds of a POS blog.

As for getting your device swapped for a refurb, why is that a bad practice? It cuts the wait time, work load on employees and you get a virtually brand new device and a new body.

You go in because your screen is broken or your home button malfunctions (fix tip: hold it pressed down and clean its circumference with a cue tip before making the trip to the store) and you walk away with a brand new looking device.

Last edited by SanDiegoF12; 02-06-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 535i x
I broke my screen on a 5s within a month of getting it. I took it into one of these fix your phone places that was close to my house (and cheaper than the Apple Store). The people at this store told me that knew exactly what they were doing and fixed many Apple phones. Went to pick it up and found that the glass was slightly thicker so an edge was sticking out and more importantly there was a small section of the screen that was cloudy. After arguing with the shop people, they agreed to replace the screen, but I had to pay a bit more .

So after picking up the phone the second time, I found that the finger sensor thing didn't work....returned to the store to find out what's up. They didn't know and had to do some research and get back with me. A day later the owner called me to state Apple has a security measure with screen replacement for touch sensor devices...which they should have known that as they hold themselves as experts. Owner then offered me $50 off bill or store credit of $100; after arguing my case with him, they agreed to replace my phone.

Long story short, I will only allow Apple to repair my phones and I'm good with that!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
As for getting your device swapped for a refurb, why is that a bad practice? It cuts the wait time, work load on employees and you get a virtually brand new device and a new body.

Agree if is convenient for apple and you get a near new phone- IT IS WHY THEY CHARGE SO MUCH!

Where I buy parts, they rate screens. WHile none will have overt defects, some of the cheap ones are apple rejects. I only buy A+ level parts.

You can buy the whole screen assembly with the parts attached- including the home buttion- but it will not have a sensor. Replacing ONLY he screen, but using all the other parts is a PITA- there are pieces held with adhesive, rubber gaskets, etc. Faster to use a complete assy with all the parts, BUT replace the home button and this is what causes this error

(If Apple were triggering an error for ONLY th LCD screen having a different pedigree, when the screen itself has nothing to do with security, that is a problem since it isnt protecting anyone except apple. But reading up on this issue, on some of the repair focussed sites, indicates this is around the home button.)

But this isnt what is happening- in my read on the issue we have always know the fingerprint sensor was proprietary apple- and if you replaced the home button outside of an apple refurb you lost this functionality. (The oriignal home button is paired with the rest of the hardware at MFG, and cannot be changed without access to the firmware, which obviously apple can do in reman) In erlier OSs this didnt matter- no fingerprint reader, no problem- everything else still worked. But with the IOS update apple -without any notice- began checking for this hardware and bricked the device if it was not there.

This is the crux of the issue: Apple making a significant change and bricking peoples phones without (proper) notice.

As an FYI- new A++ screens for a 6S run me 220- still very popular, any stock is diverted from current production. For a 6 it is $90. For a 5s its $40. Battery for any is $12. Compare these prices to what an Apple store charges....
Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Interesting factoid:

Could explain why a screen replacement- even reusing the home button- is now causing an issue with a new IOS update. (as a newb I am hyper careful with every single screw and part, since I do it so rarely- every piece is laid out on paper with a diagram. Guys that do it alot just go from memory- like BMW master techs that down use a torque wrench )

Quote:
The possible problem for Unknown Error 53 is the incorrect screw placement in the screen replacement process. There are totally four screws that hold the touchscreen connectors and the LCD. If you place the longest screw in a wrong hole, it can damage one of the layers of the mother board. There's no way to fix it. You can visit Apple Retail Store to replace it under warranty.

Last edited by ard; 02-07-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Agree if is convenient for apple and you get a near new phone- IT IS WHY THEY CHARGE SO MUCH!

Where I buy parts, they rate screens. WHile none will have overt defects, some of the cheap ones are apple rejects. I only buy A+ level parts.

You can buy the whole screen assembly with the parts attached- including the home buttion- but it will not have a sensor. Replacing ONLY he screen, but using all the other parts is a PITA- there are pieces held with adhesive, rubber gaskets, etc. Faster to use a complete assy with all the parts, BUT replace the home button and this is what causes this error

(If Apple were triggering an error for ONLY th LCD screen having a different pedigree, when the screen itself has nothing to do with security, that is a problem since it isnt protecting anyone except apple. But reading up on this issue, on some of the repair focussed sites, indicates this is around the home button.)

But this isnt what is happening- in my read on the issue we have always know the fingerprint sensor was proprietary apple- and if you replaced the home button outside of an apple refurb you lost this functionality. (The oriignal home button is paired with the rest of the hardware at MFG, and cannot be changed without access to the firmware, which obviously apple can do in reman) In erlier OSs this didnt matter- no fingerprint reader, no problem- everything else still worked. But with the IOS update apple -without any notice- began checking for this hardware and bricked the device if it was not there.

This is the crux of the issue: Apple making a significant change and bricking peoples phones without (proper) notice.

As an FYI- new A++ screens for a 6S run me 220- still very popular, any stock is diverted from current production. For a 6 it is $90. For a 5s its $40. Battery for any is $12. Compare these prices to what an Apple store charges....

You are not factoring in your time: researching, ordering, dealing with the owner of the device if it isn't you, swapping (the actual work) etc.
If you are a simple client using a kiosk at the mall, there is the customer service nightmare described above you may have to deal with.

The amount Apple charges (whatever it is) also serves as a deterrent for knuckle heads.
Aside for accidents, one would assume people would take care of a device they invested in but they don't so let them pay-up.

There will always be people willing to sacrifice quality and their time to save money they don't have. But like I wrote, this does not deserve the noise that it's been getting and it will die down.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 PM

Some good points made by Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...hone-error-53/
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-07-2016, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW

Old 02-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post

No kidding. iPhone / iPad have their strong and weak points. But the way their users are willing to take the abuse and turn a blind eye is disturbing. Steve Jobs is dead guys, you can stop worshiping.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:53 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Actually that is Fuc*ed up of Apple to do. If a person buys any product they should be able to repair it where ever they want in my opinion. It is the choice of the end user and not Apple to make. I would hate for BMW or any other car manufacturer to disable my car for not servicing it at the local dealership instead of serving it myself or allowing another 3rd party person to service it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/5/109...ir-third-party

Bitch, bitch, bitch. You believe in a free market, don't you? Who said you have to buy an iPhone? If BMW said you have to service it at their dealers would you buy another BMW?

A kid bought his iPad in Germany and brought it over to the USA to replace a cracked screen. Finding a kiosk in a mall, the screen was replaced with an Apple "OEM" glass for a lot less than what Apple would have charged. After it was finished, the kid complained that the display flickers. The tech at the kiosk was puzzled why that is so, after all, it was replaced with a genuine "Chinese" OEM Apple glass. So, they agreed the kid would get his money back if Apple store in the mall cannot resolve the issue. The tech at the Apple store immediately took the iPad to the back room to have a look because he was too puzzled why an Apple product does not perform perfectly. When the tech came back out after about 30 minutes, he told the kid the screen had been replaced, not by Apple. But the tech in opening the iPad he cracked the upper corner of the glass. As the result, the tech gave the kid a brand new iPad. Well, that's Apple. If they do you wrong, they will resolve the issue to your satisfaction. The kid also got his money back from the kiosk. We told the tech at the kiosk, a genuine Appple screen could be a knockoff if it was purchased from a 3rd party.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 02-07-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Bitch, bitch, bitch. You believe in a free market, don't you? Who said you have to buy an iPhone? If BMW said you have to service it at their dealers would you buy another BMW?
Here's another way to think of this...

Let's say you take your car, out of warranty, in for a free update to the emissions control software.

Bmw calls you back the next day and says "the car is bricked, you used a non bmw part once."

"Nothing can be done- where do you want us to tow it?"

No problem, right?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Here's another way to think of this...

Let's say you take your car, out of warranty, in for a free update to the emissions control software.

Bmw calls you back the next day and says "the car is bricked, you used a non bmw part once."

"Nothing can be done- where do you want us to tow it?"

No problem, right?

Good point made.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search