Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
LED lightbulbs crazy low pricing now

LED light bulbs prices are being slashed rapidly in the last few months. I saw CREE standard light bulb replacement for $6.97 at Home Depot. 46% down from previous price. That's for a real 60W replacement. Meaning, 800 Lumens. linky

40W costs the same or a little more than the 60W. Interesting...

100W (again, real 1600 Lumens) for $19.97. linky

3 way 30/60/100W (1620 Lumens max) $25. (non dimmable)

With these pricing, whomever is going to buy CFL is nuts.

This is where I am going to make the switch when my incandescent light bulbs give their soul back to their creators.

Interesting to notice the way it was 4 years ago, and a year ago. The two LED threads I found in OT:

2009: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=led

2013: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=675187

Last edited by MatWiz; 05-25-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
LED light bulbs prices are being slashed rapidly in the last few months. I saw CREE standard light bulb replacement for $6.97 at Home Depot. 46% down from previous price. That's for a real 60W replacement. Meaning, 800 Lumens. linky

40W costs the same or a little more than the 60W. Interesting...

100W (again, real 1600 Lumens) for $19.97. linky

3 way 30/60/100W (1620 Lumens max) $25. (non dimmable)

With these pricing, whomever is going to buy CFL is nuts.
This is where I am going to make the switch when my incandescent light bulb give their soul back to their creators.

Interesting to notice the way it was 4 years ago, and a year ago. The two LED threads I found in OT:

2009: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=led

2013: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=675187
Walmart has CFB for 4/$8. True their 1600 lumens rating is false as with other mfgs.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Walmart has CFB for 4/$8. True their 1600 lumens rating is false as with other mfgs.
What even more false is their claim of life span. Many of those die faster than a regular light bulb. My experience, and I have heard it from many others who experienced the same.

I wonder how low the LED can go.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Ideally the price will continue to fall. We've replaced most of our lights already with LED. Love the fact that our bulbs pull almost no energy.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
^ And last for so long. Designers love them cuz they can more easily put lights up in high ceilings, say above a foyer with stairway. Hard to get to to change but if you have to do it once every ten years, not so bad.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Old 05-25-2014, 01:42 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
What even more false is their claim of life span. Many of those die faster than a regular light bulb. My experience, and I have heard it from many others who experienced the same.

I wonder how low the LED can go.
I like the warmed of the incandescent, but no more 60,75 100w bulbs, I'm adjusting to CFB colors, and eventually LEDs.
yes, there are drawbacks with CFBs, not the false lumen rating, but it flickers and takes time to warm up in the cold. I have not used them outdoors yet, but the fluorescent bulbs in the garage have problems in winter time.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 05-25-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:15 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Just bought about 20 of the LED light can fixtures. They're warm white and well made. The color is identical to a soft white bulb.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Just bought about 20 of the LED light can fixtures. They're warm white and well made. The color is identical to a soft white bulb.

I get my new home-depot gift card tomorrow and will replace a couple of my kitchen cans + the one in the upstairs landing as a test - I'm still not sure I'm making a great decision - the CFLs despite their shortcomings, seem to be doing well (long bulb life) - I got almost 5 years out of the CFLs the first time around, and I put new CFL bulbs in about 7 weeks ago.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Last year I grabbed a few 60w CFLs for a very low price. The whiter ones were quick starts ... the "warm" (with light similar to standard incandescent bulbs) seem to take a second to come on. Last month I picked up a 60w equiv LED ("warm") in Wallyworld to try it in one tough to reach light fixture. Thought it was marked $4.97 but when I checked out it rang up at $1.97. Went back and grabbed the remaining 3 on the shelf! Guess they were mis-marked or a close out! Heck at that price I can let them stay on all night.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I get my new home-depot gift card tomorrow and will replace a couple of my kitchen cans + the one in the upstairs landing as a test - I'm still not sure I'm making a great decision - the CFLs despite their shortcomings, seem to be doing well (long bulb life) - I got almost 5 years out of the CFLs the first time around, and I put new CFL bulbs in about 7 weeks ago.
I don't get it. Why are you guys buying so many LEDs? You'll be stuck with them for the next 30 years.

I am going to replace with LED one light bulb at a time as they go black. Not so much for the few bucks difference, but I am trying to get the latest-latest technology. Or more specifically, the higher CRI. But it looks like we got stuck at a little over 80 for anything you can get off the shelves at a hardware store.

What's the point of throwing CFL you just recently bought?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
I don't get it. Why are you guys buying so many LEDs? You'll be stuck with them for the next 30 years.

I am going to replace with LED one light bulb at a time as they go black. Not so much for the few bucks difference, but I am trying to get the latest-latest technology. Or more specifically, the higher CRI. But it looks like we got stuck at a little over 80 for anything you can get off the shelves at a hardware store.

I am not going to replace the CFLs I replaced recently - I'll do the one FIRST gen LED over the sink for sure - it was super expensive and crap - the CFLs in the landing are almost 4 years old, but not on that much - they annoy me because of the long warm up time - and now the grand-kid stop over, we need light to get up to them in the middle of night sometimes - so I want decent light there. The rest of the kitchen I'll see how it goes - if I do decide to replace them, the CFLs will end up in the other hallways somewhere.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Went to CFL's but never liked the color. Even "warm white" had an ugly greenish cast, though far better than the early ones. Nice to save money, but the corpse-like color result was mostly for closets, garages and cellars.

Bought a LED to test and was very impressed. Instant on, nice incandescent color, bright. As prices drop, I'll convert to more. Nice to see tech delivering a good replacement for the old incandescents.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 05-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:

Yeah, we've been replacing the kitchen lights as they burn out. The contractor used some awful lightbulbs that all seemed to burn out within 2 years. The LEDs are great thus far.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
I installed LED lights in my whole house when I first moved in. They were not too cheap but not expensive either. The monthly electric bill made a huge difference. Love these LED lights

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401239910336.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	442459  
330 Coupe Sold
Old 05-28-2014, 04:24 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
In my case, the code calls for a minimum of 50% of any new lighting fixtures to be "high efficiency". I'm finishing a basement, about 900sqft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
I replaced all my regular bulbs with those 60W cree LEDs about a month or two ago. At $6-7 I thought it's awesome. And I don't mind that I'll be stuck with them for 30 years - they are great.

I never used the CFL - they always start dim and take a while to warm up, to me that was a deal breaker.

The only bulbs I didn't replace with LEDs are the large sized ones - I didn't see reasonably priced replacement for those. Hopefully soon
Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Can these LED Bulbs (like you get from Home Depot or Lowes) work with a dimmer switch? I have a bunch of regular incandescent that I'd love to switch to LED, but they are on dimmers which I absolutely need for those rooms.

Never could jump on the CFL bandwagon, the light just never looked right (at least for indoors, but did install a couple outdoors) and always seemed to give me a headache or make others looks really unflattering (and I personally need all the help I can get!).
Old 05-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom View Post
Can these LED Bulbs (like you get from Home Depot or Lowes) work with a dimmer switch? I have a bunch of regular incandescent that I'd love to switch to LED, but they are on dimmers which I absolutely need for those rooms.

Never could jump on the CFL bandwagon, the light just never looked right (at least for indoors, but did install a couple outdoors) and always seemed to give me a headache or make others looks really unflattering (and I personally need all the help I can get!).
I was just researching that a couple of days ago because I just moved into a new place and was thinking of replacing all the bulbs with LEDs, but there are dimmer switches everywhere - which is great, but wanted to know if they'd work with the LEDs. From what I can tell, you need special *compatible* dimmer switches that work with the much lower minimum load. I'm still tempted to try them out in the dining fixture, kitchen and bathrooms which have up to 6 bulbs on one dimmer and see if they'll work with those.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
I was just researching that a couple of days ago because I just moved into a new place and was thinking of replacing all the bulbs with LEDs, but there are dimmer switches everywhere - which is great, but wanted to know if they'd work with the LEDs. From what I can tell, you need special *compatible* dimmer switches that work with the much lower minimum load. I'm still tempted to try them out in the dining fixture, kitchen and bathrooms which have up to 6 bulbs on one dimmer and see if they'll work with those.
Hmmm... I suppose I could always return the LEDs if they didn't, but it'd be good to see what you find out too. Ugh, I'd hate to swap all the dimmers, they're the digital Lutron kind and I just put them in a year ago. But the cost savings might be worth it anyway.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom View Post
Hmmm... I suppose I could always return the LEDs if they didn't, but it'd be good to see what you find out too. Ugh, I'd hate to swap all the dimmers, they're the digital Lutron kind and I just put them in a year ago. But the cost savings might be worth it anyway.
Maybe you already have the compatible type. Lutron is the brand I kept seeing pop up for being LED compatible, and you just put them in a year ago so they are pretty new. I just did a quick google of Lutron digital dimmers and this came up as being compatible. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Ma...W-WH/203486520 I have Lutrons too but have no idea how old they are or how to tell if they are the compatible type. I'm guessing they weren't put in that recently.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
Maybe you already have the compatible type. Lutron is the brand I kept seeing pop up for being LED compatible, and you just put them in a year ago so they are pretty new. I just did a quick google of Lutron digital dimmers and this came up as being compatible. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Ma...W-WH/203486520 I have Lutrons too but have no idea how old they are or how to tell if they are the compatible type. I'm guessing they weren't put in that recently.
Dreamer, that's be so cool... that kind of looks like what I got. Hmm, off to HD tomorrow for some experimenting!

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: Z3/F-150/Hyundai Accent
Bought a brand new house, and replaced all the bulbs with LED and gave the old ones back to the builder. I paid $7.50 a bulb for the 60W equivalent. Kind of a bummer that I bought a few months early, but it will still pay off in the long term.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
The LEDs are dimmable - absolutely. However I cannot say if they work with old dimmer switches - I moved in my house last year, and I installed dimmers in several rooms then. They all work great with the Cree LED lights.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
All my LEDs are compatible with dimmers. For some I was uncertain about I had to call the company directly and ask.

The ones I am sure you need to becareful with are the in cabinet and under cabinet lighting which are usually not dimmer compatible.

Sucks that prices dropped big time when just under a yr ago I spent nearly a grand on my LEDs. In fact I still have a few lying around lol

Last edited by mj745; 05-29-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
There are dimmable and non-dimmable LED lights. If you buy dimmable LEDs and want to use a them with a dimmer, then you should use them with a dimmer designed and approved for LED lights. Old style dimmers not designed for LED may appear to function, but the method by which they dim may not be conducive to LED longevity, may flicker, have a very slight chance of fire, etc. Also, LED compatible dimmers are adjustable to help provide the broadest dimming range possible. You can aid this last point by ensuring all lights on a string are the exact same model.