Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
How to cook beef soft - help a brother out

I have a broken jaw from back in the days and chewing on chewy meat hurts my jaw and it gets to the point I can no longer chew - just gets numb and extremely pumped like muscle pumps.

I LOVE meat and can't live without it. However, I'm now trying to eat homemade food but can't really cook. I purchased tons of beef cut in chunks at wal mart.

How can I grill or cook them (healthy) so that the meat is soft? I can't chew on hard or chewy meat. Something that's quick and easy pls

I'm planning on using a George foreman grill
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Braise it. Cook it low and slow in some sort of flavorful liquid. Neither quick nor easy, but depending on the "beef chunks" you got a Walmart, nothing is going to make them soft that's quick cooking (unless they are filet mignon tips)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Braise it. Cook it low and slow in some sort of flavorful liquid. Neither quick nor easy, but depending on the "beef chunks" you got a Walmart, nothing is going to make them soft that's quick cooking (unless they are filet mignon tips)
What's "braise"? It's preferred not to grill it then? Is the flavoured liquid sold or made?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:33 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Re: How to cook beef soft - help a brother out

Why in heaven's name would you buy your beef at Walmart?

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
First you bought meat at Walmart and expect it to be tender?

Second, you want to cook your red meat so its "healthy", but red meat is a known risk factor for cancer, heart disease and many other fatal diseases.

Have you tried putting the Walmart meat chunks in a blender to make a meat milkshake? I always wondered if that would work.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post

Perhaps he likes the 10% injected sodium ?

To answer the question, //M3lissa got the answer right.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post

So where should someone buy their meat? I stopped buying from Walmart too then tried Kroger/Tom Thump and occassionally Costco but not much difference. A few times I have bought direct at a farm slaughterhouse but it's quite a distance. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawana View Post
So where should someone buy their meat? I stopped buying from Walmart too then tried Kroger/Tom Thump and occassionally Costco but not much difference. A few times I have bought direct at a farm slaughterhouse but it's quite a distance. Any other suggestions?
If you want quality, find an independent butcher shop. Worlds better than a chain, although you'll pay for it.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Does it matter where you buy meat? Goes to show how much I know about cooking. Thought I made it crystal clear I don't cook. Common sense told me sheep is sheep, meat is meat. So unless it matters how you cut the meat I can't see how wal mart's beef would be garbage. Feel free to add something constructive though
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I'm not sure why Walmart would NOT be good???

I buy my meat at BJ's (a Costco type club). Best meat I can find around, better than any supermarket or any independent butcher, etc.

MJ, if you want to grill something, you need to buy a steak. If you buy "meat" than some will be tough, some would be soft. Buy "Chuck Roast" meat.

If you want tender grilling, forget the George Foreman grill. It's not hot enough. You better use a cast iron skillet. The more rare the steak is, the more tender it is.

If you buy to cook, buy meat that has fat in it. (Chuck Roast). It should look like a marble. (Same for steaks, btw). Cook the meat in a pot covered with water and vegetable. Bring to a boil and then remove and stick it in the oven, at 250F, for something like 5-7 hours. The meat will "melt" in your mouth.

When you cook meat, it tends to get tough first, and then get more tender.

But bottom line, practice practice practice. You'll get better.

Last edited by MatWiz; 11-06-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328i
You could put a Papain/papaya based meat tenderizer to your meat before cooking. It might help and it's cheap.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
I agree with MatWiz: when grilling, the more rare, the more tender.

Cooking for a long time at a low temperature is great. Adding something with acid, like a tomatoe sauce helps break down the meat. Caution that some slow cookers are actually too hot and result in tough meat.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 95 525i
Stick a wallmart roast (sirloin or whatever is on sale) in the crock pot in the morning with lots of spices and vegies and by 5:00 it will be tender enough to eat with no dentures!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Less time, but more cleaning and more waste, could be getting a meat grinder. It's basically pre chewing for you. If I were you, I'd research which ones are decent, but waste the least amount of meat. Well maybe that's not an issue, sometimes I can get out a good bit from the inner working of mine.

You can use filet mignon too. Costco is a great place for bulk, here it's about $14 for choice grade, and $20 for prime grade for the filets. What's also nice about filets is that the packs aren't as huge as some of the other cuts, as you do want to eat them sooner than later, IMO at least.

Use any old big lid, you can wrap some plastic wrap around this, and this can shape your burger after grinding. Push it down a little in the center, not important, but as the burger expands it will come out flat in the end, just a cosmetic thing.

Unlike with steaks where you want to salt quite in advance for the denaturing of proteins, the American palette with burgers has it best to salt right before cooking, or you get an undesirable texture as there's so much surface area with ground meat.

Put it back in the fridge for about an hour, this helps it to re-firm it up as the grinding warms/softens it up where it may not hold up when cooking. This is another way in that ground meat patties are different from steaks, as letting those rest at room temperature is in a way starting a very low and slow cooking process, going from 36F to room temp. Hope I wasn't excessively verbose for you. Lots of helpful cooks here, you are in good hands!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM
wooohooo

Actually, it may not be more cleaning depending on what you did otherwise. I see your sauce thread with the desire to have meat, grinding meat here would be perfect for your sauce. What's great about grinding is that you have a much better idea of how fresh it is. Ground meat with so much surface area can harbor funky things quickly, and that's why at some stores like Whole Foods, they have a little plastic "clock" showing you what time they ground certain patties.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
If you want quality, find an independent butcher shop. Worlds better than a chain, although you'll pay for it.
i have shopped at large chains like walmart, off brand stores (sav-a-lot), large warehouse type stores like bj's, independent butchers, and even raised my own beef.

i like the independent butchers. get the cuts you want, personal recommendations from the butcher on what cuts are best for which preparations you wish to do, and once a solid customer, there are more perks in getting really good deals.

a larger freezer also helps....

price wise, the independent is about middle of the pack.

no complaints with walmart cuts, other than they have a limited selection in the ones i have been in compared to grocery stores. similar to small mom-n-pop grocers. the least favored was sav-a-lot (and similar).

as for how to cook meat tender, it depends on the cut. simple could mean a crock pot or it could mean minimal prepping/cook time.

have you thought about what sort of sides you wish to have with it??

braising is an excellent way to make the tougher cuts tender, and works for more than just beef.

you could also consider pork.

df
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Didnt OP buy tons of crown molding and ask "hey, hoy do I put it up?"... justt seems beyond the bounds of believe to buy a ton of meet, and THEN ask - on a bmw forum- how do I cook it.

Odd

Here is the answer:

Learn to cook.

Develop a handful of basic preps that result in tender meat- braise, crock pit, ground, etc- THEH take these basic methods and combine them with sidea and other distinct preperations,

Hummmmmm....
Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Re: How to cook beef soft - help a brother out

Buy a nice pressure cooker. Beef comes out nice and soft. Them pressure cookers are not cheap though these days. I bought one recently they can range from $200-500 for a nice one.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using BimmerApp mobile app
330 Coupe Sold
Old 11-07-2013, 12:34 AM

Steak and pressure cooker are good options.

Some great feedback thanks. I've written some notes and will be off to start cooking in a few hours.

Worst comes to worst, if it takes too long or I simply can't make it soft enough then I'll hire a cook, no biggy. My cleaning lady strongly recommends her sister law but she's too pretty lol

I'll be cooking a lot in one day for a few days worth. I eat about 5 times a day. I don't consuming protein from powders, I much prefer them from food like beef, chicken, fish, and eggs. I eat 12-24 eggs daily - well, I miss some days.

Someone asked what I will have on the side, it'll be vegetables. I wish I knew how to cook some tasty veggies but as of now I quick fry, with seasoning, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, etc. I cheat a little by throwing a bit of salad dressing on just to help me eat more.

I can cook chicken no prob. Jack mackeral and salmon are easy and delicious. But I eat more fish I'm going to have fish odor coming our of my pores.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Didnt OP buy tons of crown molding and ask "hey, hoy do I put it up?"... justt seems beyond the bounds of believe to buy a ton of meet, and THEN ask - on a bmw forum- how do I cook it.

Odd

Here is the answer:

Learn to cook.

Develop a handful of basic preps that result in tender meat- braise, crock pit, ground, etc- THEH take these basic methods and combine them with sidea and other distinct preperations,

Hummmmmm....

Yes, the OP did buy a bunch of moulding and asked about installation on popcorn ceiling and stacking moulding. My entire penthouse was renovated top to bottom and having the moulding on site was not a problem, either way it was going to be installed anyway. The better question is why you have your thongs in a bunch "ard"?

Your answer to my question on how to cook beef is "learn to cook"? What are you a 1st grade drop out?

You criticize why this asked on a bmw forum? DB, you do notice this is the off topic forum right? When was the last time you read other threads? Or better yet, that's where the problem probably lies, reading comprehension.

Hey "ARD", got beef?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 AW 1M,1963 Impala SS
Get a meat hammer, and beat the heck out of the steacks. It's fun and it really works. It will make the meat very tender

And if you want super tender meat, just make a nice marinade for it. You can find recipes online that are super easy. Simply let the meat soak in for 1 or 2 days.

Braisee meat (sorry I don't know the translation) as suggested previously could also be of interest to you, the idea is to cook the meat very slowly at low temps in its own juices. Not all cuts can be braise though, I certainly would not do it to a nice cut of rumsteack for instance.

Last edited by Manu; 11-07-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
How to cook beef soft - help a brother out

If you're a big meat and veggies kinda guy- crock pot. That being said the veggies that you typically use w a pot roast aren't the high fiber variety you may prefer, and those dishes tend to be really high in sodium.

If I want supple meat I buy a nice organic fillet (from: whole foods, the fresh market, etc) and cook it rare-med rare. Yummmmm.

I too have jaw problems (bi-lat tmj joint replacement x2 back in 2001 and 2003). I have the most problems w bagels and chewy breads.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-07-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
I eat about 5 times a day. I don't consuming protein from powders, I much prefer them from food like beef, chicken, fish, and eggs. I eat 12-24 eggs daily - well, I miss some days.
How can you eat so much? Are you very active and burn a lot of energy? Are you weight training?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
How can you eat so much? Are you very active and burn a lot of energy? Are you weight training?
Seriously!! 12-24 eggs daily, are you kidding me?!? LOL. Including the yolks? Okay forget the filet mignons, you will go broke and fast.

You know one of the kitchen gadgets I've been eyeing lately are "Wolf Claws" for pulling pork, shredding chicken, etc. There is a little customer video near the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/Handler-Forks-...=meat+shredder

Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: A car
jaccard meat tenderizer:

Every place you buy meat can end up with a bad lot which is tougher than you expect - I got one of these one year on my christmas list and it's been used perhaps 3-4 times only - but you can buy deliberately tough cuts and knife the crap out of it - turn it into something a lot more tender than you would expect.

These things are $20 on amazon.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!