Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Jamaica's Club Mobay - worth it?

So we'll be flying into Jamaica on a Friday in a couple weeks. Does anyone have any experience with Club Mobay at Sangster Airport in Montego Bay?

http://www.mbjairport.com/passenger-services

Quote:
Club MoBay
Located at Gate 9 in the Departure Terminal, Club MoBay is Jamaica's Premier Airport Departure Lounge.

Enjoy our distinctive Fast Track service through immigration and security before relaxing in one of our three individually themed lounges with premium bar, snack counter, Digicel business centre, Wi-Fi, international cable TV, Children’s Cultural play area, showers and express Spa services whilst being surrounded by Jamaican culture and artifacts. Reserve your departure experience at: www.clubmobay.com.
Friends who have traveled to Jamaica were unaware of the service; going to Jamaica from So Cal is rare compared to Hawaii so that may be why. As this is our first real vacation in 5 years I'm not looking to start if off standing in lines for hours. And physically my body can't handle that. So curious, if any of you have used this service and if you'd recommend it.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Wow, I kinda expected some folks on the east coast had been to Jamaica and used this service. Seems like the Caribbean is to the east coast what Hawaii is to the west (but a much better deal).
Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
LOL.

I can tell you that I don't know Anybody who went to Jamaica.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Is Club Mobay for arrivals or departures? I've been to a jamaica twice and don't think this was there then (it's been almost 15 years) - but I would never consider looking at airport facilities that closely (back then anyway) because their airports were fairly basic - spent as little amount of time as possible there. A lounge might make the time better, but I tend to not to arrive 4 hours ahead, so unless the resort had access, I wouldn't pay too much - but the price is $30 per person pre-paid isn't that bad - still not sure I could drink enough rum or beer to cover that...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Seems like the Caribbean is to the east coast what Hawaii is to the west (but a much better deal).
It is. I go to the Caribbean at least once and usually twice a year. Of the many choices, Jamaica isn't in my top 12. If you were headed to Grand Cayman, Provo, USVI, BVI, SXM, AXA, Cancun or a few others, I could help you out. All are better choices.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post
It is. I go to the Caribbean at least once and usually twice a year. Of the many choices, Jamaica isn't in my top 12. If you were headed to Grand Cayman, Provo, USVI, BVI, SXM, AXA, Cancun or a few others, I could help you out. All are better choices.
Looked over the deals on several islands for weeks. Really wanted Cozumel but flights from SD to there made it essentially all day on planes each direction. When it was clear Cozumel wasn't going to work out we settled on Jamaica as the price was great and we've never been to an all inclusive resort. We love like idea of a resort with diving included and leaving from boats at the resort as we've never experienced that. We've done dive trips in asia and the pacific so the quality of the diving wasn't the biggest deal to us as we've had some of the best. This time we wanted a place where we could relax first (not go anywhere to get food, but still get a variety, get a drink without hassle) and if we wanted to dive we wouldn't have to schlep across a village/town/island in a minivan, then ride out to a dive spot for 2+ hours.

Grand Cayman caught my eye but after some research it turned out we'd probably have to use a dive outfit and do exactly what I didn't want to do on this trip... deal with some outside vendors, wander around for meals, etc. For the first time ever we're going somewhere that won't involve doing anything like a usual vacation. We just want to read books, swim, dive and eat/drink. And most importantly not have to go anywhere or deal with getting places.

Last edited by brkf; 08-31-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
Is Club Mobay for arrivals or departures? I've been to a jamaica twice and don't think this was there then (it's been almost 15 years) - but I would never consider looking at airport facilities that closely (back then anyway) because their airports were fairly basic - spent as little amount of time as possible there. A lounge might make the time better, but I tend to not to arrive 4 hours ahead, so unless the resort had access, I wouldn't pay too much - but the price is $30 per person pre-paid isn't that bad - still not sure I could drink enough rum or beer to cover that...
It's to avoid the immigration lines. Heard they can be hell. A friend just went to the bahamas and said it took her 3 hours to get to the gate. That kind of horror story makes me think we might spring for it.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
We want to go to the usvi over the Easter holiday or summer (school and work schedule dependent). Can you send me some info? Sounds like you're in the know if you go that often! ...which island, where to stay, what to do, etc. ...we'd probably only have a week.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: A car
brkf - I don't remember the immigration being that much of a problem - but like I said, it was many years ago - so my knowledge is very outdated. If the reviews on Trip advisor are genuine though, it seems worth the cost to some, but not to others.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...a.html#REVIEWS

Sailin, a friend has a condo in St Croix - I think I posted the link once before - he just sold his business down there but is keeping the condo. We went there 2 weeks ago and still have a week he owes us of use of his condo (thank goodness he's keeping it). I'm hoping we can get back to St Croix in the middle of winter to escape the cold...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
brkf - I don't remember the immigration being that much of a problem - but like I said, it was many years ago - so my knowledge is very outdated. If the reviews on Trip advisor are genuine though, it seems worth the cost to some, but not to others.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...a.html#REVIEWS

Sailin, a friend has a condo in St Croix - I think I posted the link once before - he just sold his business down there but is keeping the condo. We went there 2 weeks ago and still have a week he owes us of use of his condo (thank goodness he's keeping it). I'm hoping we can get back to St Croix in the middle of winter to escape the cold...
Yep trip advisor was where I stumbled on the idea. Then I ran across people saying they waited hours. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 AM

Saliin', in the USVI the best island by far is St. John. St. Thomas is too commercialized. The great thing about the virgin islands is their proximity. I would make St. John my base location and possibly take a day trip to one or more of the BVI like Jost Van Dyke or Tortola. You can fly into St. Thomas and take relatively inexpensive, regularly scheduled ferries between all the islands. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions. Many people take week long boat charters in the BVI and I highly recommend it.

Sent via Bimmerapp on Z4luvr's Note 3

Last edited by Z4luvr; 09-01-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Looked over the deals on several islands for weeks. Really wanted Cozumel but flights from SD to there made it essentially all day on planes each direction. When it was clear Cozumel wasn't going to work out we settled on Jamaica as the price was great and we've never been to an all inclusive resort. We love like idea of a resort with diving included and leaving from boats at the resort as we've never experienced that. We've done dive trips in asia and the pacific so the quality of the diving wasn't the biggest deal to us as we've had some of the best. This time we wanted a place where we could relax first (not go anywhere to get food, but still get a variety, get a drink without hassle) and if we wanted to dive we wouldn't have to schlep across a village/town/island in a minivan, then ride out to a dive spot for 2+ hours.

Grand Cayman caught my eye but after some research it turned out we'd probably have to use a dive outfit and do exactly what I didn't want to do on this trip... deal with some outside vendors, wander around for meals, etc. For the first time ever we're going somewhere that won't involve doing anything like a usual vacation. We just want to read books, swim, dive and eat/drink. And most importantly not have to go anywhere or deal with getting places.
I understand. Sometimes you just want to chill and have everyone do all the work for you rather than explore. Just this last May we did that sort of trip. We took a Tradewinds Powercat charter out of Tortola. You can get a base cabin for 2 via luxury class for only about $1000 for the week. Then you pay about $900 per person all inclusive fee. That includes three excellent meals a day (except dinner one night) and all the good quality alcohol and soft drinks you want. But here's the good part for divers: the captain is a divemaster, mooring fees, equipment, air, etc., are all free. You do add a gratuity for the captain and mate. On our powercat there were only 3 couples, so you can go where you want and dive every day at some of the best sites in the world.

On our one week trip we hit 15+ different islands. The downside is that you sleep in small quarters, on a boat.

Here is a link

We are headed back to St. Martin / Anguilla in March. Anguilla is my favorite Caribbean Island, hands down. However, to go the fully pampered route is off the charts expensive there. In June, we are spending 10 days on Grand Cayman. We had to book our flights 330 days ahead to get them 100% with frequent flyer miles.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:53 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
I understand. Sometimes you just want to chill and have everyone do all the work for you rather than explore. Just this last May we did that sort of trip. We took a Tradewinds Powercat charter out of Tortola. You can get a base cabin for 2 via luxury class for only about $1000 for the week. Then you pay about $900 per person all inclusive fee. That includes three excellent meals a day (except dinner one night) and all the good quality alcohol and soft drinks you want. But here's the good part for divers: the captain is a divemaster, mooring fees, equipment, air, etc., are all free. You do add a gratuity for the captain and mate. On our powercat there were only 3 couples, so you can go where you want and dive every day at some of the best sites in the world.

On our one week trip we hit 15+ different islands. The downside is that you sleep in small quarters, on a boat.

Here is a link

We are headed back to St. Martin / Anguilla in March. Anguilla is my favorite Caribbean Island, hands down. However, to go the fully pampered route is off the charts expensive there. In June, we are spending 10 days on Grand Cayman. We had to book our flights 330 days ahead to get them 100% with frequent flyer miles.
Boat sounds great but my wife gets seasick (not so underwater) so staying on a boat wouldn't work for her. Sadly.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 AM
Not Wearing Pants

End result---

I broke my toe 4 days before we left. Mobay was awesome for us on arrival. I got whisked away by their team and we were through everything insanely fast. It was the low season but there were still lines. Going out it didn't seem as worthwhile. But sill nice to have a good, clean facility with free drinks and snacks.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
End result---

I broke my toe 4 days before we left. Mobay was awesome for us on arrival. I got whisked away by their team and we were through everything insanely fast. It was the low season but there were still lines. Going out it didn't seem as worthwhile. But sill nice to have a good, clean facility with free drinks and snacks.
Bummer. Sounds like a better deal when you factor in the broken toe. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Bummer. Sounds like a better deal when you factor in the broken toe. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Not like I'll ever be going back to Jamaica (*) but maybe someone else will find value in the info.

*very nice trip, exactly as we wanted, just rarely return to the same place. We did get our Advanced Open Water certs done on the trip so now we're set for deeper dives in cozumel next year.