Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
Upgrade to Windows 10?

Not sure whether to accept it. Says that it will install as soon as it becomes available (no indication when this will be) and that it's free and chock full of new features. I'm quite comfortable with Win 7 so I'm really not sure what to do. Says it's a "time limited" offer so I don't want to lose the opportunity either. I'm so confused.

Any advice (other than "Get a Mac")?
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2015, 07:05 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post
Not sure whether to accept it. Says that it will install as soon as it becomes available (no indication when this will be) and that it's free and chock full of new features. I'm quite comfortable with Win 7 so I'm really not sure what to do. Says it's a "time limited" offer so I don't want to lose the opportunity either. I'm so confused.

Any advice (other than "Get a Mac")?
i got that little icon in my task bar that says "Get Windows 10". I'm waiting for you to tell me whether I should or should not "upgrade" from Win 7.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
i got that little icon in my task bar that says "Get Windows 10". I'm waiting for you to tell me whether I should or should not "upgrade" from Win 7.
Uh uh, no way....you first.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: A car
they upgrade will not be free forever, but will be for a good while yet... I'm not upgrading - let some other schmuck test it..
Old 06-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Wait... EVERYBODY with a 7 gets that invitation?
Old 06-07-2015, 01:10 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Wait... EVERYBODY with a 7 gets that invitation?
yes. I think windows 8 also got invitation too. July 29 is the release date. PsychDoc1 will be the guinea pig to let us know whether it's desirable or not.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 06-07-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
MIne is runing on 8 and I got one too.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Assistant Hobo

Mein Auto: Dirt Mobile, LWC, LBC
Windows 7 and 8.1 users will get the invite. I'm not sure about 8.0, it may require the upgrade to 8.1 first.

If you accept the invitation it will download nearly all of the upgrade by July 29th. On the 29th Microsoft will release the final bits and Win 10 will install. Everything I've read indicates it will not ask your permission again. You are accepting the upgrade by accepting the invitation.

It appears you will be able to accept invite and upgrade anytime between now and July 2016.

With this update Microsoft is asserting that they own the software you're a licensed user. In the past the security patches and any other updates were made available through Windows/Microsoft update and you could elect to install them or not. Windows 10 Home licenses will no longer have the option not to install the updates. Windows 10 Professional licenses can defer an update. It will require some configuration work to enable that deferral option. There is also no word yet on how long updates and patches can be deferred on PCs running Windows Professional Licenses. If your curious, there is an option Windows 10 Enterprise licenses used on mission critical systems (Air traffic control, banking, health care) to delay updates for long periods of time.

Gotta figure Microsoft has a pretty high level of confidence that it's going to work but I'm not going first.

Only pic I have of the LWC. Ignore the blue thing.

Last edited by I'mAPest; 06-07-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
I feel left out. I haven't received the invite (Win 7 here, but I do have a copy of Win 8.1 and saw no reason to install). I would likely pass as I am never willing to be the first on the block with anything...
Old 06-07-2015, 05:51 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Not yet.

Allegedly, you get a year. Me? I will give it a couple or three months.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW E34 525i
Here's the thing... You can reserve it, but not download it. Meaning you can get it for free later.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Well, I never saw a message, but I do have a new icon on the task bar that says "Get Windows 10" when you hover over it...
Old 06-08-2015, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
Have the icon staring at me. Don't want it...

New features. Who gives a kzFghaliguy? 7 works. Leave it alone.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 AM

How to turn your ugprade files for windows 10 into an ISO:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...e-into-an-iso/
Old 06-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
I'm undecided whether I will upgrade my Windows 7 machine. I will upgrade the Windows 8 I have - but I almost never use it anyway. In any case - won't do anything until at least 3 months after the end of July - to get some feedback from others.

One way to make me upgrade my primary Win7 machine is if I can download the upgrade and install it as dual boot (on separtate disk). This way if it turns out to be cr@p, I can just boot back to 7. Otherwise - for the time being I'll just wait.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:32 PM

well I registered to get the download - I'll make the ISO and decide after a few months if other people have relatively few issues - I'm ordering a new 5Tb drive tonight and I'll image my machine onto that when it arrives and before any upgrade - acronis trueimage to the rescue.... I'm actually thinking I'll do the upgrade, move live with it for a few weeks, then uprgade from HDD to SSD... assuming my OS + apps fit into a decently priced SSD.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
Oh, I forgot I already upgraded it to 8.1 a while ago. Too busy to remember stuff like this.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:47 PM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
I have never upgraded a PC to a newer version of Windows. When its been time to upgrade to a new OS, its time to upgrade to a new computer too. I've current got one XP, one Win7, and one Win8.1.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I have never upgraded a PC to a newer version of Windows. When its been time to upgrade to a new OS, its time to upgrade to a new computer too. I've current got one XP, one Win7, and one Win8.1.
I needed a new PC when it was the crappiest verson, Vista. So, I upgraded to Win 7. I am concerned about upgrading over an upgrade, even though I did a clean install for Win 7. I have some components in the box from the old XP days.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I needed a new PC when it was the crappiest verson, Vista. So, I upgraded to Win 7. I am concerned about upgrading over an upgrade, even though I did a clean install for Win 7. I have some components in the box from the old XP days.
it might be time for a new machine then - a $500-600 machine these days will make your machine look like a dinosaur.

Mine isn't a monster machine, but if I go SSD it will definitely run another 2 years - but it was a 7-Pro machine when I got it. The SSD will be $169-189 for a 500Gb version including the tools to do a drive upgrade (you need an external drive to backup to of course).

I generally wait until the mfgs release new models + the retailers slash the 'last year's model' - which might be only marginally slower - and that's what I buy - so I can get the minor version less than the $850-900 model, for $600 - offer $500 and they will generally take it.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Don't do it. Ever. Wait 18 months until others beta test the production release for you. Just...saying...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
it might be time for a new machine then - a $500-600 machine these days will make your machine look like a dinosaur.

Mine isn't a monster machine, but if I go SSD it will definitely run another 2 years - but it was a 7-Pro machine when I got it. The SSD will be $169-189 for a 500Gb version including the tools to do a drive upgrade (you need an external drive to backup to of course).

I generally wait until the mfgs release new models + the retailers slash the 'last year's model' - which might be only marginally slower - and that's what I buy - so I can get the minor version less than the $850-900 model, for $600 - offer $500 and they will generally take it.
I've been looking, since my desktop has been getting slower. But, since I am retired, I don't do any actual work on it anymore. I disabled flash from running automatically, and that helped speed things up. And I only use 'Elements' not the full photoshop. Nothing else is taxing the system. I am running an old, for now, video card, and that takes some load off the core 2 duo I am still running from when I did my last motherboard/processor upgrade. I haven't used the DVD writer in forever, and I think it is only an 8X.

I might just do a barebones upgrade, let them mess with the paste, and installing the OS. I don't have the patience to mess with all that anymore.

Last edited by Kamdog; 06-08-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 PM
Leave no one behind

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 (E85)
I've got a Volume License MSDN subscription through work so I've already been using the Technical Preview for a long time now. When the market version comes out I'll just upgrade then.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
I've been looking, since my desktop has been getting slower. But, since I am retired, I don't do any actual work on it anymore. I disabled flash from running automatically, and that helped speed things up. And I only use 'Elements' not the full photoshop. Nothing else is taxing the system. I am running an old, for now, video card, and that takes some load off the core 2 duo I am still running from when I did my last motherboard/processor upgrade. I haven't used the DVD writer in forever, and I think it is only an 8X.

I might just do a barebones upgrade, let them mess with the paste, and installing the OS. I don't have the patience to mess with all that anymore.
grab ccleaner slim (google it) and check out how much has crept in to your startup. Also use the installed programs part of the cleaner program to look for unused software - if you haven't used it in a couple of years it might be a good candidate to replace/remove. My machine is now 4 years old duo and I can get another 2 years from it by SSD upgrade I reckon - I have to do it now before the price of SATA-II drives goes UP - which they will start to do within the year I expect - ie, a SATA-II drive will cost quite a lot more than SATA-III soon. RAM for those machines has already begun to climb - if you're going to use it for much longer, buy the upgrade of RAM if you can take it before it goes up much more... tech prices drop, but then rise as they are 'old' - the number of customers falls after the old stuff is no longer in as many machines and the price curve on tech is an inverted bell curve typically as it become old + unwanted...
Old 06-09-2015, 05:55 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
I don't want any MS OS that has anything to do with touch screen.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search