Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Prices paid for the BMW/SafeGuard tire-wheel protection package for a 2012 X3?

I would appreciate feedback re your experience in paying for 3,4,and 5 years of coverage under BMW-affiliated plans (i.e.SafeGuard) as opposed to other "third party" vendors.

I recognize that different BMW dealerships offer different plans, and I am inquiring about those policies or coverage wherein BMW can obtain immediate and direct approval for tire replacement and be paid directly by the vendor rather than the vehicle owner having to pay up front and then having to await reimbursement from the "insurance company."

I have been quoted $965 for 3 years of coverage through BMW-SafeGuard, and would be interested in prices paid by others. I am in Southern California.

I thank all who take the time to respond.

Advertisement
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: E30 M3, 2012 X3
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
I would appreciate feedback re your experience in paying for 3,4,and 5 years of coverage under BMW-affiliated plans (i.e.SafeGuard) as opposed to other "third party" vendors.

I recognize that different BMW dealerships offer different plans, and I am inquiring about those policies or coverage wherein BMW can obtain immediate and direct approval for tire replacement and be paid directly by the vendor rather than the vehicle owner having to pay up front and then having to await reimbursement from the "insurance company."

I have been quoted $965 for 3 years of coverage through BMW-SafeGuard, and would be interested in prices paid by others. I am in Southern California.

I thank all who take the time to respond.

3,4,and 5 years should be 3, 4 and 5 years I believe. Unless is adding commas and deleting spaces now suddenly "Proper" grammar in your world.

To all the others.... This is in response to Runon MD1's habit of correcting the rest of the worlds grammar and or spelling in their post. I just experienced this myself from the "Spelling Nazi" as he was labeled in another thread. Sorry for the wasted of bandwidth to make a point to him.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 XDrive 35i
I paid $750 for 5 yrs., when I bought my 2011 last month. The key is to not get to excited about the plan and they will come down on the price.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Runon MD1

Prices paid for BMW/SafeGuard 3, 4, and 5-year tire and wheel protection packages

To M3Woody...

I'm glad he finally found something to give him one.

However, while he is correct in his comment about my typographical error(s) in spacing, in response to the above-named cretin, whom I shall from now on refer to as "His Idiocy," I will offer the following from Wikipedia, which cites a number of definitive authorities on the subject:

The serial comma (also known as the Oxford comma or Harvard comma, and sometimes referred to as the series comma) is the comma used immediately before a coordinating conjunction (usually and or or, and sometimes nor) preceding the final item in a list of three or more items. For example, a list of three countries can be punctuated as either "Portugal, Spain, and France" (with the serial comma) or as "Portugal, Spain and France" (without the serial comma).[1][2][3]

Opinions vary among writers and editors on the usage or avoidance of the serial comma. In American English, the serial comma is standard usage in non-journalistic writing that follows the Chicago Manual of Style.[4] Journalists, however, usually follow the AP Stylebook, which advises against it. It is used less often in British English,[5][6] where it is standard usage to leave it out, with some notable exceptions such as Fowler's Modern English Usage.[7] In many languages (e.g., French,[8] German,[9] Danish,[10] Italian,[11] Polish,[12] Spanish[13]) the serial comma is not the norm and may even go against punctuation rules. It may be recommended in many cases, however, to avoid ambiguity or to aid prosody.

So unless you have something to contribute, why don't you hop back on the pole, you ignoramus. Absent an answer to the question I posed, for which I will thank you and any others who have something to offer, I will not respond again to your drooling.

Try reading "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynne Truss, with the author being a former BBC program host. Its (you would no doubt spell it "it's") point derives from the following:

The title of the book is an amphibology—a verbal fallacy arising from an ambiguous grammatical construction—and derives from a joke on bad punctuation:

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

'Why?' asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'Well, I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.' The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. 'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

You see, moron, commas are important, and while you may feebly attempt to attack me...well, you get the picture.

Have a good day, sweetie. And don't further embarrass yourself by trying to match wits or intellect with me. You will lose, again, again, and again. Hope the commas in the last sentence give you the headache you so richly deserve.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Runon MD1

Prices paid for BMW/SafeGuard 3, 4, and 5-year tire/wheel protection packages

I almost forgot His Idiocy's last sentence, in which he drools, "Sorry for the wasted of bandwidth to make a point to him."

And I too (which he would no doubt spell "to") apologize to the readers for "the wasted of bandwidth."

DOH!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Runon MD1

Prices paid for 3, 4, and 5-year tire/wheel protection with BMW/SafeGuard

I forgot the Woodymeister's use of "worlds," instead of "world's."

My bad. Oh, well...point and game to His Dorkyness, who now trails by a score, in his parlance, of sixty-'leven point's (as he would spell it, apostrophe and all) to one.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Wink Wow, WOw wOW....

What can one say to that I ask?

Apparently doesn't like getting caught screwing up his only claim to knowing anything.

No worries about me "further embarrass yourself by trying to match wits or intellect with me" I won't lower myself to your intellect level to make it fair for you.

We, and I believe I speak for many here on Bimmerfest who have been the target of your constant grammar/spelling attacks, corrections and pathetic attempts to show your superior skills at something, just wish you would stick to at least a portion of one line you wrote during what must have been a lucid moment and keep it BMW focused. Most of us really don't care to have your error corrections and while it probably provides you with some fleeting sense of worth it is just not the proper forum to display your grammar skills or your poor social skills either. I suggest if you can't stand not correcting others grammar then find a writing forum or a grammar forum or something where someone might appreciate your input. It is apparent that I am many others here do not! Then again I have susipcions that you just like to aggravate people because you know you have nothing else to offer the group. I think the term used before about you was "Troll". If the shoe fits......

Any errors found above were left for your ongoing entertainment. Perhaps you can print it and mark it up in red then show it to all your friends or your family. They will be so very proud!

In the spirit of the season, Have a Blessed Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I understand you will need the last word. I will ignore your misguided and pathetic post of this nature in the future. If it isn't BMW then keep it to your self please.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Runon MD1

Prices paid for 3, 4 and 5-year BMW/SafeGuard tire/wheel protection packages

What can one say to that I ask?

Apparently doesn't like getting caught screwing up his only claim to knowing anything.

No worries about me "further embarrass yourself by trying to match wits or intellect with me" I won't lower myself to your intellect level to make it fair for you.

We, and I believe I speak for many here on Bimmerfest who have been the target of your constant grammar/spelling attacks, corrections and pathetic attempts to show your superior skills at something, just wish you would stick to at least a portion of one line you wrote during what must have been a lucid moment and keep it BMW focused. Most of us really don't care to have your error corrections and while it probably provides you with some fleeting sense of worth it is just not the proper forum to display your grammar skills or your poor social skills either. I suggest if you can't stand not correcting others grammar then find a writing forum or a grammar forum or something where someone might appreciate your input. It is apparent that I am many others here do not! Then again I have susipcions that you just like to aggravate people because you know you have nothing else to offer the group. I think the term used before about you was "Troll". If the shoe fits......

Any errors found above were left for your ongoing entertainment. Perhaps you can print it and mark it up in red then show it to all your friends or your family. They will be so very proud!

In the spirit of the season, Have a Blessed Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I understand you will need the last word. I will ignore your misguided and pathetic post of this nature in the future. If it isn't BMW then keep it to your self please.
OK...place a comma before the phrase, "I ask."

The second "sentence" beginning with the word "Apparently" is lacking a subject, so that it isn't a sentence.

The third sentence is missing a period, and, if one wasn't intended, it's a run-on sentence.

It should be "BMW-focused." By the way, you did not respond to my question about the cost of the tire/wheel insurance.

Place commas after the words, "corrections" and "worth."

The word, "either" is unnecessary.

It's "others' grammar," or "the grammar of others."

You wrote, "It is apparent that I am many others." You are? Who? Do you have a split personality?

You then wrote, "I have susipicions." I have a suspicion that you need to look up how to spell the word.

You then indicated that you deliberately left errors in your response for me to find and correct, perhaps as in, "Where's Woody?" I suspect, however, that you simply took the easy way out, knowing that you would make them by the dozens.

Universities used to have an entry-level English course which the students called, "Dummy English," often taken by football players and those admitted for reasons of "diversity."

It is now no doubt called, "English for the Linguistically-challenged."

I did not have to take that course, and while you are certainly free to look at proper spelling and grammar with scorn and derision, I don't.

Perhaps I was too hard on you, and, in the spirit of the holiday season, I apologize to you and any others who were offended.

Ciao.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
Okay, this grammar feud has been marginally entertaining, but I'm hoping that maybe we can steer the thread back to the original topic since I'm picking up my X3 35i next Friday. How much ARE people actually being quoted and paying for wheel/tire insurance?
Previous BMWs: 2000 528i, 2003 540i, 2007 335i Sedan, 2009 335i Sedan, 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Old 12-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Runon MD1

Prices paid for the tire/wheel protection package

Indeed.

If you scroll back, you will find that all I asked was for feedback on pricing of the package, which was a simple and honest question.

I indicated that I would be most appreciative of answers to that query, which I thought was respectful and polite, and, suddenly and out of the blue, "we have incoming!" That responder offered nothing as to the topic.

In any event, I was initially quoted $965 for 3 years of coverage, which then was increased to 5 years. Others have responded that they were quoted $795, I believe, which was much better, assuming we're comparing "apples to apples." I suspect that we are, and that a price in the mid $800 range would be reasonably obtainable (5 years).

Please be careful to make sure you're receiving the BMW/SafeGuard or similar plans, whereby you can have an RFT replaced at the dealership by the dealership's service department without your having to pay personally and then wait for reimbursement from a third party purveyor.

In addition, do not confuse this tire/wheel protection insurance-type policy with the "Excess Wear and Tear" plans, often offered in leasing, or other coverage.

Again, my thanks to all who respond to this post, and let's please remain on topic.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Runon MD1

Prices Paid for the tire/wheel protection

As an aside, when you are turned over to the "Finance" person at the dealership, you can politely decline the first pricing offer and protestation, as in, "I don't know where you got that number, but they're lyin' to ya," or, "We'd lose money at that price," or, "Nobody is selling at (whatever)," or, "It's not a BMW-authorized or sponsored program."

Just sit there and say, "I'm sorry, but I'm only willing to pay $(whatever)," and my research has found that price to be more than fair," or whatever similar approach you want to take.

I regret to say that I was not as assertive as I should have been, and think I overpaid, but a difference of $100 over 5 years isn't really bad.

By the way, if you keep your car for 3 years, for example, the coverage is transferable, or I believe a refund for the unused portion of the policy is available.

The best outcome of all would be for you to not have to use the coverage!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Thumbs up Never received the pitch

Since I handled the complete quoting and purchase of our X3 over the phone or email and finance was not needed we never received the sales pitch on the tire-wheel protection plan.

Since part of my business is selling tires and wheels I am certain I would not have opted for it at the price level being discussed here. If there were some damage to a wheel I have sources for replacement OEM wheels below even my wholesale cost though BMW Parts. Also the wheel refinishing has improved dramatically over the last decade to the point that I would be comfortable going that route depending on the severity of the damage.

I apologize to the group and Runon MD1 for hijacking the thread with my off topic banter. Runon MD1 and I have put that behind us I believe as evidenced by his input to me on another thread. His input was much appreciated and that type of input is why I participate in forums.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Runon MD1

Prices paid for tire/wheel protection

As they say in New Orleans, or "N'Awlins," "True dat!"