7" Lilliput motorized dash NAV and display for X3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
7" Lilliput motorized dash NAV and display for X3

Installed a 7" Lilliput EBY-701 display using an RC retract servo and made-from-scratch console replacing the factory glove box on the dash top. The good thing is the glove box can be put back within 5 minutes, and the only modification was the removal of a half inch piece of plastic inside the dash cavity that does not effect anything and not visible.

The servo for now is controlled by a basic stamp and miniature push button switches, but will be triggered by power ON/OFF input later. Alternatively, one may use a cheap $5-10 servo controller or some other means of motorizing the monitor.There is just enough clearance for the monitor that it clears the glove box.

The frame was built from plexi-glass and some white plastic cardboard looking sheet, both from Home Depot. The leather-look covering is soft and good quality and very closely matches the original cheap looking plastic glove box's color.

Using Acer One in main glove box tapped into fuse box above it, and Delorme GPS (installed right next to display inside dash). Ran all wires down next to A/C duct directly to main glove box.

Took many hours to tweak it, so prepare for the long haul.

Installed Ride Runner (formerly Road Runner) with voice control.Navigation is laptop based with Street Atlas 2001 and IGuidance 4.0 native to RR. Working on IBusRR interface to control from steering wheel.

Here is the display in operation before install.

Here is operating in the dash (needed little tweaking at closing).

Here is a link to all the pictures and two videos.

Last edited by tomsz; 07-23-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Want to attach photos
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Nice, if lots of, work! Do you have the touchscreen working? Is the screen firm when up? I-bus for the steering wheel? I thought it's on the K-bus.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Yes, touch screen works, it's solid, but

The touchscreen works, no modifications were done to anything. Because of the retract servo, there are only two positions, either up or down. It takes some adjusting to get the linkage right to open and close at the right angle. Retract RC servos have great holding power, so the screen stands firm. I think BMW uses a step-motor in the factory setup, and I would recommend using that instead for better calibration of the up/down angles.

I am still figuring out the IBus setup under Ride Runner or separately with NavCoder, the info came from the Mp3Car forum.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search