Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535 & 06 325
iPhone 4 Bluetooth Problem (AT&T)

I've had my F10 since November, 2010 and it has the Combox. From the time I took delivery, my iPhone worked fine using bluetooth. A few months ago my dealer upgraded my car's software, and since then I've had intermittent difficulty answering incoming phone calls. My Nav display would show me who is calling, the phone rings through the speaker however I am unable to answer the call, either using the phone button on the steering wheel or the roller. In fact the display on the instrument panel does not show the incoming call information. As I said, it doesn't happen each and every time.

I've been to my dealer and they can't solve it and said that their software is only tested for iPhone software v4.1. My phone is showing v4.3.4.

This sounds like a bunch of bull to me, particularly since everything worked fine prior to the dealer software update.

Has anyone had any experiences like I describe with their iPhone 4 (AT&T) and F10?

Thanks,
Ron
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Mine works perfectly, even the streaming of Pandora. I just performed the latest iPhone 4 (AT&T) upgrade 4.3.4 and still AOK. My car build date was 12/11.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i MSport
My wife has the same problem. She has the iPhone 3GS and it will not allow her to answer on the first call. The second call forward she can receive. Then when the ignition is turned off, we start all over again. We are driving a 2011 528i, built 3/11.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoey12 View Post
My wife has the same problem. She has the iPhone 3GS and it will not allow her to answer on the first call. The second call forward she can receive. Then when the ignition is turned off, we start all over again. We are driving a 2011 528i, built 3/11.
That's it. So sounds like it's not just the iPhone 4. Have you brought it to your dealer's attention and what was their explanation?

I'm thinking that it somehow may be related to what software is currently in our cars.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011-535I
I have the same Issue with my Droid X. My bluetooth expereinces has been frustrating with this car. Any other non Iphone have issues with auto linking, track advance and being unable to answer incoming calls?

It's not the phone, the Motorola T605 kit i have in my other vehicle works flawless with streaming, track adavnce and call pickup.

Seems to me the bluetooh stack is a bit buggy

Last edited by ddimit; 07-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535 M-Sport
At times my phone won't answer either. It's annoying to say the least.

2015 535i M-sport
2011 528i sport gone, but not forgotten
2012 E93M sport (totaled)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
I had some trouble with my iphone at first. I had to go through a plug in/ power off crazy procedure to get it to work at first. It turned out that one of Apple's updates screwed up the BT connectivity to some car stereos. It did it with my Alpine unit in my other car also. A couple of weeks went by and Apple released a bug fix update that fixed everything. This is one of many examples of why you don't update the iphone unless necessary. Hopefully Apple with release a bug fix for you guys soon.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
This exact same thing has happened to me on numerous occasions. Very annoying like Judyg said, but so far I have not taken it to the dealer. I did have the navigation screen replaced after only a week with the car & I think that might have something to do with it...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
This exact same thing has happened to me on numerous occasions. Very annoying like Judyg said, but so far I have not taken it to the dealer. I did have the navigation screen replaced after only a week with the car & I think that might have something to do with it...
My problems actually began after my dealer replaced my navigation screen (due to scratches at delivery) and then they had to update the software. Everything was fine before the software update.

It's really quite annoying and frustrating when the phone rings, as you're tooling down the interstate, and you can't answer it. At least you can see who it is on the nav screen and call back.

I think it's quite absurd that BMW can't resolve this in a timely manner. I've been pursuing this with my dealer on and off for about 2 months with no resolution. Glad to find I'm not alone.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyg951 View Post
At times my phone won't answer either. It's annoying to say the least.
Judy -- does it happen with the first phone call after starting the car, like some of the posters on this thread have described? Have you brought it to your dealer's attention yet?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Ron T - have you found a solution for this problem yet? It sees to happen with all my incoming calls now. I'm thinking I'll try deleting the phone and then re-adding it to see if that makes a difference...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
Ron T - have you found a solution for this problem yet? It seems to happen with all my incoming calls now. I'm thinking I'll try deleting the phone and then re-adding it to see if that makes a difference...
Tony, if it's happening with ALL of your incoming calls, that's not the same problem that I, and some other posters here, are experiencing. It's generally just with the first call after starting the Nav system. And I can't say it happens each and every time, but most every time.

No solution yet. I'm going to speak to my dealer again in a few weeks and try to give them time to come up with something, however what I seem to be hearing is that the Nav system is tested to be compatible with Apple v4.1 yet I'm running v4.3.4. Makes no sense that an upgrade in the Apple software all of a sudden is broken, as far as the problems described.

Tony, if you can't receive any incoming calls then you definitely should delete and try to pair your phone again.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: 550ix
I was having a similar problem with my iPhone 4 and 2011 F10 to what some people are describing. Basically, I could see the call coming in and could click "Accept" in iDrive but couldn't actually answer the call. In my case, it happened with every call and it sounds like the same problem tbod describes.

Turns out, in my case at least, it was a bug in a recent iOS update 4.x ( I don't remember the specific release to be honest). The bug was that if the ringer is turned on (i.e. the switch on the left side of the iPhone) the phone was not interfacing properly with Bluetooth devices and the call couldn't be answered. Turning the ringer off fixed the problem.

I'm running iOS 5 at the moment (beta version) and the problem is fixed. I thought Apple had already fixed it in a release that's available to the public. To be honest, I've updated my phone's OS several times since I had the problem and I can't recall the iOS release in which Apple fixed it. I know 4.3.5 is out now and would guess it's working with that release.

Hopefully this will help some of the posters.
2011 550i xDrive: Space Gray Metallic | Cinnamon | Anthracite | M Sport | Cold Weather | Convenience | Driver Assistance | PP2 | Sport Auto Transmission | HUD | Side/Top View Cameras | 4 Zone Climate | ACC | Smartphone Integration | Split Folding Rear Seats |
2007 MB GL 450
Prior: 2007 550i

Last edited by mikeP123; 07-29-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 5281 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
I've had my F10 since November, 2010 and it has the Combox. From the time I took delivery, my iPhone worked fine using bluetooth. A few months ago my dealer upgraded my car's software, and since then I've had intermittent difficulty answering incoming phone calls. My Nav display would show me who is calling, the phone rings through the speaker however I am unable to answer the call, either using the phone button on the steering wheel or the roller. In fact the display on the instrument panel does not show the incoming call information. As I said, it doesn't happen each and every time.

I've been to my dealer and they can't solve it and said that their software is only tested for iPhone software v4.1. My phone is showing v4.3.4.

This sounds like a bunch of bull to me, particularly since everything worked fine prior to the dealer software update.

Has anyone had any experiences like I describe with their iPhone 4 (AT&T) and F10?

Thanks,
Ron

I was having the same problem. I was talking to my son-in-law (which is my local dealer's SA) about it last night and he suggested to un pair the phone from the car and pair it back again. I did that this morning and everything is working again the way it is suppose to. These cars today are nothing but computers on wheels so sometimes you have to take the same approach as fixing a problem on your PC. Sometimes when you install new software on your PC it causes havoc with other software and you have reinstall it. Everything is software driven on these cars so there is bound to be conflicting issues at times when updating the software.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeI View Post
I was having the same problem. I was talking to my son-in-law (which is my local dealer's SA) about it last night and he suggested to un pair the phone from the car and pair it back again. I did that this morning and everything is working again the way it is suppose to. These cars today are nothing but computers on wheels so sometimes you have to take the same approach as fixing a problem on your PC. Sometimes when you install new software on your PC it causes havoc with other software and you have reinstall it. Everything is software driven on these cars so there is bound to be conflicting issues at times when updating the software.

I've tried that before, however with previous versions of the iPhone software, to no avail. However, per the MikeP123's recommendation I just updated my phone to 4.3.5. I will try that later, along with also un pairing and re pairing my phone and will report back when I have some reliable results.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 520D F11
The iPhone is pretty spotty regarding bluetooth reliability. My company deploys thousands of iPhones every year and it's often a hit and miss pairing the iPhone with bluetooth devices. I've gone through 7-8 Plantronics Voyager Pro headset with my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Sometimes they work beautiful the first 2-3 months and then start to exhibit pairing or sound problems and sometimes they quit working after a couple of weeks. If you're having problem try doing a complete reset (Remember to backup everything using iTunes first!). This seems to solve the majority of iPhone issues.

My current iPhone 4 works like a charm though with my F11 using both the handsfree and streaming Spotify to the sound system. It's a shame that Apple don't support changing tracks through bluetooth though.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeP123 View Post
I was having a similar problem with my iPhone 4 and 2011 F10 to what some people are describing. Basically, I could see the call coming in and could click "Accept" in iDrive but couldn't actually answer the call. In my case, it happened with every call and it sounds like the same problem tbod describes.

Turns out, in my case at least, it was a bug in a recent iOS update 4.x ( I don't remember the specific release to be honest). The bug was that if the ringer is turned on (i.e. the switch on the left side of the iPhone) the phone was not interfacing properly with Bluetooth devices and the call couldn't be answered. Turning the ringer off fixed the problem.

I'm running iOS 5 at the moment (beta version) and the problem is fixed. I thought Apple had already fixed it in a release that's available to the public. To be honest, I've updated my phone's OS several times since I had the problem and I can't recall the iOS release in which Apple fixed it. I know 4.3.5 is out now and would guess it's working with that release.

Hopefully this will help some of the posters.
Mike - I tried several things. First I downloaded 4.3.5 to my iPhone. Then I started up my car, waited for it to finish loading my contacts and, with the phone ringer turned on, from my landline I called my iPhone. Same problem. First call wouldn't answer even though it silenced the radio, rang through the radio and displayed the incoming caller iD.

Then I shut the car and went off to do something else. Came back half an hour later and went through the same routine, except this time the ringer was turned off. First incoming phone call and same problem. First incoming call couldn't be answered. Subsequent calls no problem.

I want to also mention that I tried un pairing and re pairing the phone, as mentioned by another poster, but that didn't help.

Bring on iOS 5.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Still not working

I put iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 last night. Much to my dismay, still same problem. First incoming call cannot be answered, even though it shows the callers info on the display. Pushing the wheel or the phone button yields nothing.

I was hopeful, based on the report of an iOS 5 beta tester, that the release would solve it, but not so.

Can anyone else who has experienced this problem, and who has upgraded to iOS 5, comment on their status with regard to answering the first incoming phone call.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
This is BMW software. Foe the nine months prior to a software update to fix hesitation and tip-in issues, my 3GS and B/T had been perfect every time; after the update, the first time after turning the car on, these symptoms are displayed.

BMW knows about this problem, because the same software update caused a few other problems (intermittent surging during idle at startup, I-drive screen not remembering last mode prior to shutdown of car).
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepetra View Post
This is BMW software. Foe the nine months prior to a software update to fix hesitation and tip-in issues, my 3GS and B/T had been perfect every time; after the update, the first time after turning the car on, these symptoms are displayed.

BMW knows about this problem, because the same software update caused a few other problems (intermittent surging during idle at startup, I-drive screen not remembering last mode prior to shutdown of car).
Do the dealers all know about the software problem? It's ridiculous that owners of a luxury vehicle such as a BMW have to put up with this for such a long period of time.

This all started for me when BMW applied a software update many months ago and I was hopeful and patient, awaiting iOS 5, because of other posts in this forum. Can't believe that it's still not solved, considering that the iPhone is probably the #1 phone amongst BMW drivers, and it's also on their "approved" phone list.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Same problems here with a 3/11 built car. My iphone IOS 5 and wifes, 4.3.4 have the same problem. Thanks for the info here. Question... does the car do any updates automatically through telematics or are all software updates done at dealer?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 PM

Unfortunately, all software updates have to be done at the dealer.

I've been to my dealer since updating to iOS5. They have escalated this to BMW. Still no solution, but I'm pressing them on this, since the iPhone is supposed to be the most prevalent phone for BMW owners.

One consolation. While the first incoming call cannot be answered via the steering wheel phone button or the roller on the steering wheel, I discovered that pressing the iDrive will answer that phone call.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
Unfortunately, all software updates have to be done at the dealer.

I've been to my dealer since updating to iOS5. They have escalated this to BMW. Still no solution, but I'm pressing them on this, since the iPhone is supposed to be the most prevalent phone for BMW owners.

One consolation. While the first incoming call cannot be answered via the steering wheel phone button or the roller on the steering wheel, I discovered that pressing the iDrive will answer that phone call.
Thanks for the tip in the iDrive. WIll try that going forward.