Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-26-2011, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Question OEM vs. Aftermarket parts

I got stuck going to the dealer for the replacement of both rear upper control arms. Ok, I know, it's an easy thing to DIY but I didn't have the time and wanted to get my 04 530i checked out by the master tech. The dealer fixed the loose rear suspension by replacing both control arms. The price I was quoted for OEM was $1,100 and I know these arms OEM are probably $650 to $700 just for parts. The dealer told me that they used aftermarket control arms.

First, does anyone think (in general) that the aftermarket is better / worse than OEM? Has anyone ever had this happen at the dealership?

I pick the car up today and I was thinking about hammering them for putting the aftermarket parts on. They said they reduced the price by $100 and that alone seems to be a ripoff.

This was my first time to the BMW dealer and I was definetly not impressed with the customer service and possibly repair if the aftermarket parts are sub-standard. Probably will be my last. Back to DIY.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 06' 530xi
ive never heard of a dealership using aftermarket parts! How is that even possible? I would give em hell if I were u. aftermarket parts are never like genuine bmw parts...some fit differently some feel differently they are never the same as genuine

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
I am surprised that dealer would use aftermarket w/o first talking to you.... I cant even imagine BMW dealer doing it ...
Some aftermarket parts are as good or better than OEM but some are not... actually when I installed control arm I always used aftermarket but a good quality and never had problems with them.

Ask them for part manufacturer, and if there was any reason they have not use OEM? and do some research..

you can always complain and ask them to put original BMW Part
Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Sponsor

Mein Auto: European Cars Galore
You need to go back and have them reinstall everything with OEM parts- for no extra charge. A $100 discount does not justify the use of aftermarket arms. They are not as good, period.

Is this a real BMW dealer, or is this a used car dealership that carries BMWs? There's a big difference.

-John.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
What happened to "Quality repairmen using OEM parts!"

Honestly if this is a true BMW dealer using Aftermarket parts, it's just wrong.

For Sale!
1 Set of E38 OEM Illuminated Interior Door Handles $70 Shipped [Click]
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
not real

Mein Auto: 535i
very difficult to believe this is actually true.