Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
"The Ultimate Drive" - BMW's social navigation app to find and rank roads

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

The Ultimate Drive - BMW social app to find the best roads

The age of "gamification" has come, and BMW Group Financial Services is bringing this social nuance to its customer base of nearly 1 million individuals. Beginning with the development of a new and unique mobile and social experience, "The Ultimate Drive," is a social navigation mobile app that allows users to not only discover the best roads to drive in over 50 countries, but to rank, comment and share those roads via Facebook, email or other GPS devices. Future versions will integrate the ability for BMW Financial Service customers to gain points and achieve high rankings. As the first automotive channel, and specifically captive finance organization, to create a branded social navigation tool, BMW Group Financial Services defines itself as a consistent touch point with customers, through an engaging and interactive means.

"As a company, we pride ourselves on our ongoing uses of technology to build stronger relationships with our customers," said Ed Robinson, President and CEO for BMW Group Financial Services. "Not only does 'The Ultimate Drive' app allow us to broaden our awareness as an organization to a vast audience, but more so, it provides us the ability to nurture a two-way dialogue with our customers in an engaging way."

According to Pawan Murthy, General Manager of Online Business for BMW Group Financial Services, "The Ultimate Drive" is an example of how a captive financial services company can use mobile and social strategies as a consistent touch-point to customers while fostering a connection with BMW vehicles and the global BMW brand.

"A social app succeeds when it forms a community of users with similar interests. A mobile app succeeds when it shrinks that large community into something local and familiar," said Murthy. "Within a few seconds of opening the app, 'The Ultimate Drive' connects you to driving enthusiasts who have discovered great roads in your neighborhood roads you may have overlooked. Sharing that joy of discovery is why we are eager to launch this app to everyone."

San Francisco-based software and technology firm, SocialNav, Inc., developed the technology that powers "The Ultimate Drive". "We've found that the success of applications like 'The Ultimate Drive' is built on organic growth amongst friends and enthusiasts with similar profiles," said Daniel Pifko, CEO and Co-Founder of SocialNav. "BMW Financial Services is an exceptional partner because it is at the forefront of using smartphones to improve the driving experience. We're excited about the relationship and have great ideas for many more things to come."

While utilizing the latest in navigation technology, "The Ultimate Drive" still remains simple in nature and nearly effortless to use to its full potential after downloading the app, the user allows the app to find their location and then it displays the stretches of road which others have contributed as the best ones in the area. Conversely, when the user has generated their own favorite stretch, it is as easy as three taps to share via email or Facebook or send to one's favorite GPS device or app.

"The Ultimate Drive" is available for both iOS and Android devices. It can be downloaded for free from Apple's App Store and the Android Marketplace and is meant to broaden the social community around driving.

BMW Group Financial Services is currently developing similar versions for its MINI Motoring and BMW Motorrad brands, and will be extending all applications for its financial service customers in the near future.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Ultimate-Drive-BMW-social-app-find-rank-best-driving-roads.jpg
Views:	1455
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	288721  

This article has been viewed 4750 times.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
bmw's offical app.

i got this on a rss feed today, thought it was intresting that a auto maker is takeing notice of app tech..

http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/08/10/bm...-s-best-roads/
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 08-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
Things like this make me wish I didn't get the Windows 7 phone. Looks awesome.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
"...it is as easy as three taps to share via email or Facebook or send to one's favorite GPS device or app."

Except of course if your favorite GPS device happens to be your BMW Navigation system. Come on BMW, let's get with it. All of the hoopla about "Connected Drive" yet it can't do the simplist things that would make sense to the driver? Twitter??? REALLY??? TWITTER??? In a CAR??? Yeah Twitter, but you can't send yourself an actual route to drive from BMW's own application. Stock prices, Facebook, news...ranging from moderately useful to ridiculous things for a car but can you see a simple weathermap to choose your best route??? You can get a weather report but how about an overlay of thunderstorms on the map display? That way you can modify your route, stop early for lunch to wait it out, or even cancel. Far more useful than these other things. BMW needs to stop and figure out what the driver NEEDS and make that work rather than sticking in nonsense like "social networking" just because it can.

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.