Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Integrated power supply for no crank issue

So after a year or so of sporadic no crank problems I installed a new ips after researching the issue here on bimmerfest.

The problem got significantly worse the last two weeks. I tested during no crank episodes a jump start (no go) and a battery charger and fresh top off ( no go).

So I ordered the part from my dealer Monday and it arrived Wednesday. I installed it in just a few minutes by intentionally neglecting the battery disconnect. Molex in and molex out...badda boom badda bing...I am all up and running. Also installed two new hood struts.

Will it solve my no crank issues? I don't know. I will keep you posted. I will note that the module I replaced felt very hot as does just about anything under the hood. The module is very protected(good) but has no airflow( bad). just wondering if heat brings this module down.

That's it.
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 745LI
you solved your crank issues. good job
Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM

Hope so. You were my inspiration since you are so darn confident. You a lifecoach? Seriously you have helped a few of us. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 AM

very wellcome.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
545i - No Start & Erratic cutting out on the freeway

I have a BMW 545i 2004 having the same issues, there is no pattern however they were always appearing to be related.

Hot Day mostley - Afterwork go to the vehicle and no start. No Crank, no warning lights indicating a problem. I could get the vehicle started after 5 - 10 mins of constant attempts. After a while i discovered if i put a vibration through the car, like slam the door it would sometimes start. Mornings were fine everytime due to cooler weather i figured.

Driving the vehicle it would simply cut out, on the freeway and i would have to roll off to the side, and the same start issue would be there. same again after constant attempts it would fire and not show again for up to 3 weeks.

Removed the IPM after reading here solder joins looked fine - reinstalled it and it hasnt faulted since. 1 week. i have a new one on order and am certain this is the cause, all your comments have certainly helped here. Perhaps just a bad connection to the box . anyway im not going to risk it and put the new one in.

much appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Keep us posted. I thought, too, about cleaning connections, etc. The new part brings some assurance. My STI also stalled due to a loose connection at the ECM at random times. My E65 has only stalled 2x in last year.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: All over the roads...
Question, where is the IPS located physically in the car?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunotknowing View Post
Question, where is the IPS located physically in the car?
It is under the passenger side micro filter. Here is what it looks like. I think I paid about $85 from thebmwstore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341103961.318651.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	331229   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341103980.328017.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	331230   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341104003.210206.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	331231   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1341104019.878307.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	331232  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
To IKOB and REVRUN, Anyone Else,
Was there anything visible or observed on the Integrated Supply Module (IVM) that indicated the unit was faulty? It appears to me the IVM is connected to all the engine sensors and controls. You could blame it for all that ills you (Sarcasm). Is there a way to test the unit? Is there an approach to diagnose the IVM before removing it for visual inspection? I guess any intermittent NO CRANK conditions with no obvious symptoms (ie. Battery voltage, clicking sounds, any sounds) are difficult to diagnose for a DIY with limited diagnostic tools.

Last edited by micosan; 07-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
It's actually a fairly simple unit inside, and could possibly be troubleshot with a few basic tools. If someone wants to send me a known bad one, I'd be grateful, and happy to mess around with it.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 PM

I did not inspect my old unit very closely. It looked to be in perfect shape. I agree with Keif in that someone might be able to trouble shoot it but again, an intermittent problem can be painfully frustrating even for a good mind. This is why I just bought a new one. I haven't had a single no crank, no start since I put mine in. Not one. If I'm able to save some frustration for $120 and the satisfaction of "winning" over the BMW technician who didn't think I was right, I'll take it. I'd encourage you to do the same. Blessings
Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM

there was nothing visible or observed on the Integrated Supply Module from my 7 that indicated the unit was faulty. it looked like new. if u have any issues just go ahead and replace it, u will have less headache in the days to come.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
No Cranking Issues!!!

I would like to say thanks to all whom have listed their trials here. I have used this significantly as BMW at my location really does not have a clue. They since moved the location to Charlotte. Anyhow, I am responding to the the no crank issue and what I have done to remedy. Basically, following someone's advice on this forum, I removed two relays and reinserted them. I also re-seated all the connectors to the Integrated Power Supply and have had no more cranking issues. It is located on the passenger side, under the hood, under the micro filter. You will need three different size metric allen wrenches to remove all the covers required to get to the unit! I will elaborate more if needed but I am at work now and must go. Email me at mkmrecords@yahoo.com for me to come back and reply/post your answer. I indeed had many many problems and replace many parts watching the lights and symptoms go away one at a time!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Hey guys for what it's worth I bought the ICM today with the part number on the picture above. It also came up on the dealer comp as that same number.. When I bought it the invoice however said for N62 and something else UP TO the 4th or 6th month of the year 02. I then returned mine..
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750 LI 2007
You sure have solved....

I had the same exact issue on my 07 750LI. Gave me hell for a few months. Was at the dealer over four times. Changed the battery and blower motor (going bad) for intermittent operation. After changing the blower motor almost thought the problem went away and guess what?? Back at the dealership next week. This time around, a senior tech looked at it pointed to the part you are talking about and replaced it. It has been a couple of months and no crank issues no more!!! Fortunately, it is still under CPO and the repairs were covered.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 PM

To revrun (or anybody else . Hello, Just wondering how the fix is performing? I'm having same issue with my 04 545i 6sp... no start, just a click or 2, especially when air temps are warm. I took the cover off on the passenger side and found multiple modules. Which one is it exactly? Do you have a part number available? Thanks!

Last edited by BraveHelios; 06-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrun View Post
So after a year or so of sporadic no crank problems I installed a new ips after researching the issue here on bimmerfest.

The problem got significantly worse the last two weeks. I tested during no crank episodes a jump start (no go) and a battery charger and fresh top off ( no go).

So I ordered the part from my dealer Monday and it arrived Wednesday. I installed it in just a few minutes by intentionally neglecting the battery disconnect. Molex in and molex out...badda boom badda bing...I am all up and running. Also installed two new hood struts.

Will it solve my no crank issues? I don't know. I will keep you posted. I will note that the module I replaced felt very hot as does just about anything under the hood. The module is very protected(good) but has no airflow( bad). just wondering if heat brings this module down.

That's it.
Hello, Just wondering how the fix is performing? I'm having same issue with my 04 545i 6sp... no start, just a click or 2, especially when air temps are warm. I took the cover off on the passenger side and found multiple modules. Which one is it exactly? Do you have a part number available? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
It's actually a fairly simple unit inside, and could possibly be troubleshot with a few basic tools. If someone wants to send me a known bad one, I'd be grateful, and happy to mess around with it.
For those that have changed the IVM (Integrated Supply Module); did you disconnect the battery first? Going to be doing this very soon and don't want to kill anything! Thank you!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 PM

For those that have changed the IVM (Integrated Supply Module); did you disconnect the battery first? Going to be doing this very soon and don't want to kill anything! Thank you!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHelios View Post
Confirmed; unit swapped out with battery connected. No issues before, during and after installation. Now I hope that it takes care of the no crank issue!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Integrated power supply for no crank issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHelios View Post
Hello, Just wondering how the fix is performing? I'm having same issue with my 04 545i 6sp... no start, just a click or 2, especially when air temps are warm. I took the cover off on the passenger side and found multiple modules. Which one is it exactly? Do you have a part number available? Thanks!
It's in my 4th picture above.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
When you guys are saying no crank no start, are you meaning nothing happens when you hit the push start button?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
No start problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUBMW View Post
When you guys are saying no crank no start, are you meaning nothing happens when you hit the push start button?
Yes, that is correct. no crank, no sound, absolutely nothing, just dead silence.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 745
Are the IVM specific to vin #. Or is it just a electrical junction box for car. Looks like there is fuses on it. Also does anyone know part number for this?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 E65 750i
From the sticky in the DIY,
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=659194

there are good docs to review. The DME document shows the function of the Integrated Supply Module (IVM).
It is does not need to be coded to the VIN.

02_Part 1 ME 9-2 DME.pdf
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...7&d=1353774640

Integrated Voltage Supply Module (IVM)
The IVM contains integral relays, replaceable fuses and offers a convenient splice point for harness connections. The IVM serves as a central power supply for Engine Management (including Valvetronic), Electronic Transmission and DSC.

The part # is shown in post # 8 above; 12527510638
You can cross reference/confirm this part # with RealOEM
http://realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Also, if you enter your last 7 VIN/serial # digits, you can then perform a keyword search on the Part Number search screen.