Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i 5 speed
E39 99 528i Manual S.A.S. Fix

Ok so i bought an e39 528i a few months ago. it had some error codes for a misfire and the secondary air system. I currently have done the following work to the car:

Replace entire ccv system
replaced all o2 sensors
replaced all vacuum lines
ive replaced the secondary air pump, air valve, vacuum check valve, and the vacuum solenoid as well as the main hose that leads from the pump to the air pump valve.
ive also replaced my serpentine belt

Im still getting p1421 and p1423 codes pointing to a problem with my secondary air injection system.

the pump turns on and pumps air.

now today ive finally figured out that the new solenoid is not applying vacuum to open the valve for the air to get into the system.

there is an electrical connector that connects to the solenoid. is there a relay for this piece and if so where is it.

im stuck on this ive read every online article on this stupid air system that i could find. its possible that it could be a fuse for the solenoid as well and if there is where is that at.

again the pump turns on so i dont believe its the realy for the pump or its fuse.
please any help is appreciated ive had the car for 3 months almost and i really need to get it smogged and registered the tags are expired.

Last edited by jason.bagni; 06-15-2016 at 12:10 AM. Reason: grammatical
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 AM

I figured it out finally Im abt 99% sure. my vac lines on the solenoid were reversed.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:56 PM

ok so im still getting a p1421 code. ive checked the the sec air pump valve and its not closing after the pump turns off. the vacuum solenoid is new but it doesnt appear to be cutting the vacuum to close the valve. really need some help with this. the air valve does close though when i remove the vacuuim line.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:57 PM

i also took the solenoid and tested it with an external power source and when power is applied the valve opens and when power is removed it closes
Old 06-27-2016, 08:43 AM

I understand that there is a ton of diy pages on this system and ive tried everything to try and fix the problem. anyone have any insight at all???
Old 06-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
I think you have to revisit your hose connections to the electric vacuum supply valve.

There is a hose that connects to a vacuum supply nipple on the back of the intake manifold. There is a check valve (non return valve) that connects to that hose which only allows vacuum into the intake manifold but does not allow air to flow toward the electric supply valve. Connected to the non-return valve is another hose that connects to the extreme right facing nipple on the electric supply valve.

The vacuum supply hose leading to the SAS control valve is attached to the rear facing nipple on the electric supply valve. You need to make sure the vacuum supply is connected this way.

Where did you buy the electric valve. Aftermarket cheap valves tend not to work.

There is no relay for the electric vacuum supply valve. It gets it's power from the F2, 30 amp fuse located in the DME box located under the right side cabin air filter. The valve is turned on by the DME completing the ground for that circuit. The red with white and yellow striped wire should always be hot when the ignition is on. The ground wire (brown with white stripe) should be connected to ground during the approx. 1st minute of a cold engine starts. I'd also make sure your connector to the vac supply valve is clean.

Please advise your progress.

VF Supercharger Kit much modified & tuned by FS Tuning Tech,M5 Front Sports Seats,CVV to Catch Can Conversion,Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann S.S. Header to Rear Muffler High Flow Exhaust,Header Ceramic Coated Inside & Out,Heat Wrapped from Header Flanges to & Including CATs,Kicker Sub w/200 Watt Amp,CCFL Angel Eyes,Blackout Facelift Kidney Grills, Quaife LS Diff, Zionsville Super Duty Cooling Kit, EMP Stewart WP, Derale Electric Cooling Fan Ajustable Controller w/2 Speed Circuit (JimLev Design).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search