Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530I E39
Front headlights

I recedntly replaced all four plastic holders on my hella headlights...(E39 my 2003) Headlights are xenons with auto leveling device. does someone know how to make right leveling by thoe two plastic allen bolts on the top of headlight ? One is for vertical and one is for horizontal aiming.(outer and inner allen bolt) Maybe some video of procedure ? Because i think than my low and also high beam is aiming too low and too wide..It s better than before when it was impossible to drive by night but i want to make it propper
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
High beam should be correct if low beam is correct. Screw above leveling motor is for up-down. The other screw is left-right. Find a dark place with level ground and a wall about 5 car distances away. Drive up to the wall, turn lights on, and mark their position on the wall. Reverse 5 car distances away from the wall and adjust to desired inclination. Do the math based on your distance from wall and % of drop marked on your lamp.

When I do my yearly technical checkup, they also check the lights with a machine. Perhaps they have one somewhere near you. You could adjust the lights right there on the spot and get your money's worth.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:45 AM

Thank you for the anwser... i will try to fix this like you said...you have right..i almost forgot on those stations where every year must go...so i if i don't make it i will wait three months when my periodical check up will be.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Ok, Yoda.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Everything pudl described is correct.

But be prepared that the adjusters aren't perfectly vertical and horizontal. The vertical adjuster is slanted about 11:30 o'clock to 5:30 o'clock (1:30 to 6:30 on the other side). Horizontal adjuster slants about 10:00 to 4:00 (and 2:00 to 8:00) A perfect aim requires going back & forth from one to the other.

Also, if the adjusters are stiff, the white "screw" may skip and the aim will not change. The actual adjuster screws inside the headlight assy are are horizontal. The vertically oriented white screws have plastic gears meshing with their adjusters that turn the rotation 90 degrees. If they do skip, you will find that at the bottom of the white screws are the actual adjuster screws with a black plastic hex. You can turn these hex's directly with a socket (10 mm, I think). Less convenient than the white screws on the top of the headlight, but one can get torque applied more directly.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM

white screws are going smooth...no problem with it because i change it recently and everything was cleaned and lubricated...Huh...this is not so simple as it seems...i wish how they do this in factory..??
Old 11-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
Ok, Yoda.
Halo Slovenac...iam not so good in english...
Old 11-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: '99 540i
Your English is just fine!