Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e39
Great idea

The touring is a great model, the best stationwagon we have owned and we have owned a few, our 98 is stock with 17'' Hamann alloys 235x45 tyres and modded airbox with K+N.
In New Zealand the touring models bring a premium price on the sedans,most if not all come from Japan as imports,my car is an approved import from Singapore and owned by an employee of that dealership till we purchased it.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Fast Cars Suck!

Send a message via AIM to Joe__Sterling
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602
I wish I had gotten a touring still

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@Joe__Sterling on twitter & instagram (two underscores)
Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
Has anyone out there been able to successfully reprogram the LCM to only use the bottom bulbs on the tail lights for park and stop while the top light for just the signals? Would like to use the euro style tail lights which are clear on top using a chrome bulb (amber) for signals. The standard light set up would look wierd with the clear lenses. Is this even possible? Do have Randomy's programs (INPA/GT1/Progman).
Bump
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 02 540it
i just got the cable today and i think i have installed and modified the cable properly. i will unfortunately not have time to try it on the car until the weekend. i am also interested in if anybody has done it before i just start looking around in the GT1 interface.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

And I want the 'USA' spec rear outer tail lamps !!!

I've thought about this previously and mentioned it on bimmerforums but there's limited knowledge and practical info as no one has really given it a go!

I'd like my UK car to operate and behave like the US spec Tourings do and at least 'some' US guys want the UK/Euro style on your US cars!

I have no idea where to start myself though -

My contribution is that I do have some CELIS, clear top outer lamps/lenses that are in pristine condition available ! (I'll stick an advert in the classifieds here too)

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

what is different about the Euro and US tail corners? are they wired differently, or do they just look different from the outside, or both?

G~
Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi

I've thought about this previously and mentioned it on bimmerforums but there's limited knowledge and practical info as no one has really given it a go!

I'd like my UK car to operate and behave like the US spec Tourings do and at least 'some' US guys want the UK/Euro style on your US cars!

My contribution is that I do have some CELIS, clear top outer lamps/lenses that are in pristine condition available ! (I'll stick an advert in the classifieds here too)

Cheers, Dennis!
Why is the grass always greener on the other side of the pond? Lol

Dennis, does your set come with the LCM? Shoot me a PM.

Last edited by jayster0966; 12-16-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefin' Dude View Post
what is different about the Euro and US tail corners? are they wired differently, or do they just look different from the outside, or both?

G~
As far as I know, the US spec outer tail lights react as follows; (upper/lower) outer lights brighten when brakes are on and flash when turn signal is triggered. Euro version has upper clear lense on the outer portion and is only used for turn signals, while bottom red portion is used for tail/stop functions. All the functions are not really wired differently but are controlled differently by the LCM (light control module) Maybe someone out there could elaborate more on the specific differences.

Last edited by jayster0966; 12-16-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
Quote:
Hi

Cheers, Dennis!
Dennis,

Do UK/Euro's have the rear red fog wired into the LCM?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 525 touring
I'll contribute.....love my new 5wag.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:36 AM

Hi,

Indiansfan - I have no idea on how the foglamp is wired in or controlled etc I'm afraid. My area of knowledge expertise isn't this kind of stuff !

Jayster - You lot pay about 66% LESS for fuel than we do. If we had ULTRA CHEAP fuel like you US/Canadians, I'd have an M5 saloon/sedan... and stuff another M5 engine into my Touring !!

Sudermatt - Your car is one of the more rarer colours and me being me, I've already modified it the way I'd have it! it's crying out for some lovely 19's and lowered a tad with some other choice bits

Cheers, Dennis!

P.S - classifieds advert placed for the CELIS lenses

Last edited by DennisCooper!; 12-17-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: '99 Ford Lightning
My recently acquired E39 528iT suffered from a harsh ride at the rear. My indy BMW mechanic said that it had one frozen shock and two broken sway bar links, and he is replacing them accordingly. I said that I had heard Tourings came with airbag rear suspension; he agreed, but said that mine has conventional coil springs and that all are factory parts. He said that the airbags are failure prone, so the coils are a good thing from a maintenance/reliability perspective.

Have others encountered steel-sprung Tourings?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
Quote:
Have others encountered steel-sprung Tourings?
I'm pretty sure mine has just steel-shocks because I do not have the self-leveling feature.

I haven't owned the car long enough to have suspension problems yet, so I havent really looked into it carefully

(I have an 02 540it)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM

i have the Euro spec tails on my touring. it came that way from the previous owner. i will need to have somebody sit in the car and play with the signals and brakes while i look. the Celis part in the middle does not change intensity? i know both the upper and lower sections blink when blinking, but if the LED section does not brighten for brake, then something else has to.

i have been able to diagnose the car using the GT1, but am having problems getting it to code. i think it is cable problem. when i get the coding figured out i am hoping i can flash the LCM to Euro instead of US.

G~
Old 12-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 e39 540it Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefin' Dude View Post
i have the Euro spec tails on my touring. it came that way from the previous owner. i will need to have somebody sit in the car and play with the signals and brakes while i look. the Celis part in the middle does not change intensity? i know both the upper and lower sections blink when blinking, but if the LED section does not brighten for brake, then something else has to.

i have been able to diagnose the car using the GT1, but am having problems getting it to code. i think it is cable problem. when i get the coding figured out i am hoping i can flash the LCM to Euro instead of US.

G~
You are correct the Celis section is just a parking light.....the outer lamps are both sig and brakes...
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi

50fraud & the540wgn - My Touring is on springs and shocks all round and when I found out I was happy as I didn't want to go through the issues with the SLS guys with faulty airbags and compressors and all that. However, generally speaking the SLS system is quite reliable for the most part, it's just now many examples are starting to show age and of course owners come on to the forums with the issues and it looks like they're more unreliable than they really are. One way to check if you have SLS is to look where you're spare wheel is. Just underneath, if there's a circular item that sits 'inside' the hollow of the spare wheel, then that is the SLS compressor, and your car is indeed SLS equipped. If it's just the spindle to locate the centre cap of the spare wheel, then you have the standard springs and shocks setup. 50fraud, if you need to replace, I'd suggest perhaps doing so with uprated sport shocks which means you could then put on any lowering spring. If you stick with normal SE shocks, then if you do decide to lower, the max recommended would be 30mm. My car is currently on standard shocks, and I lowered it 25-30mm on H&R springs - fantastic ride quality and comfort still.

Reefindude - Correct, the CELIS section stays the same light intensity. However, if your 'upper' AND 'lower' sections blink when 'indicating' direction of travel, then I'm sure you have the US setup. Certainly for the UK, it's ONLY my 'upper' section that flashes when indicating. If you could perhaps take a (non shaky) clear video please?

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 528i Touring
Sign me up. New to the forum, new to the US but not new to wagons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09931 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	310453  
Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doric loon View Post
Welcome!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doric loon View Post
Nice car hope you enjoy it, from another touring fan,cheers.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Hi all

More of my work in progress for the E39 Touring audio side of things!

Now some may not quite like what I've done in regards to some aesthetics with the custom C pillar mounts, however, I wanted to have a better rear fill solution than the oem locations which fire straight down to the boot/trunk floor!

I'm really liking how the small display for the amps has turned out, still some more yet to finish it off in the shape of some perspex pieces and I might illuminate them but not sure yet. Of course, those who don't their amplifiers on display can mount them in this location without the perspex windows - I suggest using similar tiny footprint Class D amplifiers as they don't give off as much heat as the traditional Class A/B units. My 2 units are Arc Audio KAR Mini series, one to drive the subwoofer and the other being the 4 channel unit. Subwoofer is the JL Audio 8W3-V3 and in my own designed and manufactured enclosure as seen previously in this thread.

I need to find some good quality 3 way crossovers for the front door builds and then continue work on the same subwoofer enclosure to go in the OEM location just above the battery, plus a few other little bit's I have in my laboratory!

feedback, critique, criticism and suggestions are all welcomed ! (there's things in my mind, just would like to see if any of your Touring guys pick up on those and possibly bits I may have missed!)

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
Quote:
Hi all

Now some may not quite like what I've done in regards to some aesthetics with the custom C pillar mounts, however, I wanted to have a better rear fill solution than the oem locations which fire straight down to the boot/trunk floor!
Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about the look of the pillars in terms of over all aestetics [ the mounts themselves look fantastic], its a great idea for improved SQ though.
I wonder if they would look better at the base of the window slightly angled upwards [maybe make them a bit less obtrusive]

I'm really diggin the perspex sheets over the amps

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Bravo Dennis! Nice work. I'm really liking the amp mounting. Pillars are a little bit over the line for me but very well done.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
If you are in Cincinnati, OH and see this touring.......

Enthusiast Auto Group. They are an Independent BMW sales and service center.

It's their support car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photowater_818_2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	310681   Click image for larger version

Name:	photowater_818_3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	310682   Click image for larger version

Name:	photowater_818_5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	310683   Click image for larger version

Name:	photowater_818_1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	310685  
Attached Images

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Got my Dynavin D99 installed today. Sound quality is far superior over the OEM Business radio. (speakers/amps upgrade previously installed) Hardest part was removing the damn OEM radio cage and running the wire for the backup cam. Fit in the dash is perfect.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Finalized stereo upgrade by installing Lumidock, center console, and Euro armrest!