Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 540it
i got what the scanner is now. there are to many software types roaming around. i mean i guess it is possible if that software allows that amount of granularity in getting to the various variables. from what i have seen in the other software is that when you change a VO number the software is updated to match the VO in order for all of the modules to talk to each other correctly. if i have time this weekend i hope to give the NCS Expert route a try. i am confident i can go back to base if things do not work out this route.

G~
Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
Reefindude, keep me posted in your progress.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:57 AM

i got to mess around a little bit, but the instructions for changing the vehicle over to EU were not quite correct or incomplete. i am waiting for an answer to try again. i can get the EWS coded for EU, but i do not know which other module to go after for the complete coding.

G~
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefin' Dude View Post
i got to mess around a little bit, but the instructions for changing the vehicle over to EU were not quite correct or incomplete. i am waiting for an answer to try again. i can get the EWS coded for EU, but i do not know which other module to go after for the complete coding.

G~
Interesting! Did you have to add a "VO"? What did you change in the EWS to get EU coding?

Will start a seperate thread to see if we can get more help and ideas on the matter. Keep us posted!

Last edited by jayster0966; 04-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM

for my car i am just changing the VO of he entire car. i keep hoping for an answer in this thread, but nothing yet. i just do not know if i am suppose to go all the way back to another main module, or i am suppose to grab another module from the EWS ECU to get the full VO change going.

G~
Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
for my car i am just changing the VO of he entire car. i keep hoping for an answer in this thread, but nothing yet. i just do not know if i am suppose to go all the way back to another main module, or i am suppose to grab another module from the EWS ECU to get the full VO change going.

G~
Reefin'Dude, this is a response I got from another thread;

Just use PA.Soft BMW Scanner 1.4 to change your VIN and mileage.
Install your new LCM hook your BMW Scanner 1.4 go to LCM > choose reprogramming and change VIN and mileage

I will give it a shot this weekend and will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM

i guess. i was hoping to not have to buy another piece of software/hardware to get this done, but if i do, i do. are they still able to be had for around $30?

G~
Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM

just tried to find one of these PASoft Scanners. can i get it in USB? my machine doe snot have a serial port on it.

G~
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
just tried to find one of these PASoft Scanners. can i get it in USB? my machine doe snot have a serial port on it.

G~
Sure. The software I have uses the USB port as well.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

For all of those who are interested, got my Euro CELIS tails and LCM installed today!

Reefindude, coding with the PA Soft software worked like a charm. When I first installed the LCM I did have the tamper dot and all the euro options (side marker as lights, front park lights as signals only, etc...) Once I programmed in last seven of VIN / mileage, tamper dot disappeared. Using PA SOft I was also able to code the park lights as signals, side lights as turn only, and rear stop/turn operate separately. Then used NCS expert to have high beams and fog lights on simultaneously, and remove some other Euro options as well. Still showing I have a (right rear light out)but all are working, will figure that out tomorrow.

Here is a link to a short video of rear lights in action.

http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/...t=06c32ba1.mp4

After watching my own video, looks like I have to turn off the cold check for the license plate lights as well.

UPDATE: Got it all sorted out. No more error messages. LCM thought I was still driving a diesel! Coded in engine type, fuel, and all necessary options that I wanted.

Last edited by jayster0966; 04-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: Touring
For a Non Celis car can the Euro Signal/Brake configuration be accomplished without the Euro LCM???
Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528iTSportWagon View Post
For a Non Celis car can the Euro Signal/Brake configuration be accomplished without the Euro LCM???
Not quite sure about that one but I did notice significant differences in the trace while using NCS expert. The euro LCM had more options available and I did notice all the lines in trace regarding brake lights as signals, brake lights as flashers, are all set to not active. If you are into giving it a try and change the values with NCS expert to see what happens. You can always reset set module back to original settings.

Last edited by jayster0966; 04-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
For all of those who are interested, got my Euro CELIS tails and LCM installed today!

Reefindude, coding with the PA Soft software worked like a charm. When I first installed the LCM I did have the tamper dot and all the euro options (side marker as lights, front park lights as signals only, etc...) Once I programmed in last seven of VIN / mileage, tamper dot disappeared. Using PA SOft I was also able to code the park lights as signals, side lights as turn only, and rear stop/turn operate separately. Then used NCS expert to have high beams and fog lights on simultaneously, and remove some other Euro options as well. Still showing I have a (right rear light out)but all are working, will figure that out tomorrow.

After watching my own video, looks like I have to turn off the cold check for the license plate lights as well.

UPDATE: Got it all sorted out. No more error messages. LCM thought I was still driving a diesel! Coded in engine type, fuel, and all necessary options that I wanted.

Glad you got it to function properly, I was following what you and Reefin' Dude were doing the whole time but didnít say squat since I didnít really know but was interesting to follow.
Just think now how your signature would look like with the clear instead of amber
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Thanks RomanEmpire!
Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Got my steering back today from Redlinegoods. Took them a while tofinish it but I think turned out excellent. Very nice fit & finish of the leather. Will be installing it tonight!

Also this shift boot will go in this weekend.

Last edited by jayster0966; 05-03-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
Got my steering back today from Redlinegoods. Took them a while tofinish it but I think turned out excellent. Very nice fit & finish of the leather. Will be installing it tonight!

Also this shift boot will go in this weekend.

What are you doing with your old steering wheel?

1998 BMW 540i/6 Sport...18" Staggered M Pars, Angel Eye Upgrade, Muffler/Resonator delete, iPod integration kit
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE...440 six pack, slap shift...blows away all e39s
Old 06-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Bimmer Loyalist

M5 brake conversion.

I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my touring. I have a good line on some used M5 brakes. Can anyone veryfy the list of parts needed below? Will I be needing the dust shields as well? The shields seem to be the hardest parts to come by used since the breakers want to sell the entire knuckle assembly.

1. (used) M5 front calipers/carriers
2. front backing plates (dust shields)
3. (used) M5 rear calipers/carriers
4. rear backing plates
5. new SS brake lines front/rear
6. new rotors front/rear

Last edited by jayster0966; 06-03-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iTouring
Quote:
Originally Posted by 528iTSportWagon View Post
Not sure if you found your answer yet but yes, it can be coded without the euro LCM. This was done on non celis tails though. When I tried to install my euro celis an extra light illuminated because it thought a light was out. I think this was a safety feature.

The guy that did the programming was Tyrone. This was a few years back and I think he owns a mercedes now and rarely visits this site.

I should of asked him what software he used to program the LCM to be used as a euro. I have pa soft and bought the latest LCM but I don't even see the option to switch over to EURO. I'm wondering if the programming he did was on the LCM itself or another module.

Does anyone have good knowledge on how to code using PA soft? I basically want to copy and paste everything over. I haven't touched my wagon in months because of an oil leak I never got around to fixing but it's going to the shop today and I want to get it ready for a nice summer.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by repandpresent View Post
Not sure if you found your answer yet but yes, it can be coded without the euro LCM. This was done on non celis tails though. When I tried to install my euro celis an extra light illuminated because it thought a light was out. I think this was a safety feature.

The guy that did the programming was Tyrone. This was a few years back and I think he owns a mercedes now and rarely visits this site.

I should of asked him what software he used to program the LCM to be used as a euro. I have pa soft and bought the latest LCM but I don't even see the option to switch over to EURO. I'm wondering if the programming he did was on the LCM itself or another module.

Does anyone have good knowledge on how to code using PA soft? I basically want to copy and paste everything over. I haven't touched my wagon in months because of an oil leak I never got around to fixing but it's going to the shop today and I want to get it ready for a nice summer.
If you are wanting your light configuration to look like the euro setup, all you have to do is change the settings below on your US Spec LCM using NCS Expert. This will get you individual use of the brake and turn signals.

These are three values for the brake lights that need to be changed on a U.S. LCM to get the turn signals only working. Make the following inactive or nicht_aktiv
BL_UND_BLK_H_GEMEINSAM BRAKE (LIGHTS AS TURN SIGNALS) - nicht_aktiv
BL_UND_BLK_H_GEM_BLK BRAKE (LIGHTS AS HAZARD LIGHTS) - nicht_aktiv
BL_UND_BLK_H_GEM_WBL BRAKE (LIGHTS AS TURN SIGNALS) - nicht_aktiv

Hope this will help you out.

Last edited by jayster0966; 06-04-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:

I have not been active on Bimmerfest for quite a while, but I've recently been lurking while my wagon recovers from a recent off.

Tyrone also did the research for my Celis euro tail lights. It was before he had the capability to do the programming himself, so we had it done at a local independent shop and it has worked ever since. My fender side marker lights light when the lights are on (Euro), I wanted then to also blink w/ turn signals (USA), but he was never able to get then to do both at the same time.

From December 2006 - See:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180723

Randy

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iTouring
I've always loved your red touring. It's a red e39 and its a freaking wagon! Red E39s aren't very common to begin with.

My wagon has been out of commission for a while too. I'm picking it up from the shop and I'm going to treat it nicely this weekend. Time to put some parts on.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:
I've always loved your red touring. It's a red e39 and its a freaking wagon! Red E39s aren't very common to begin with.

My wagon has been out of commission for a while too. I'm picking it up from the shop and I'm going to treat it nicely this weekend. Time to put some parts on.
You have any pictures of your wagon?

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Got these today for the touring! My old ones where pretty worn out.

They don't say "M5" so I guess its not poser material. lol
Old 07-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 99 528it w sport package
Nice how much was the price on those and where did u order them from
Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Bimmer Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma hawk View Post
Nice how much was the price on those and where did u order them from
After hunting all over for these, (3mo of searching) I finally found them while searching on Ebay Germany. Picked them up for $175 including shipping.