Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
335d suspension upgrade advice

I did not purchase my 2010 335d with the sports suspension, mostly owing to the fact that all the 335d models my dealers carried that had the sports suspension were tarted up with frills I didn't want, like iDrive.

Now I'm interested in aftermarket upgrades. I'm sure this has been asked before, and if so, I'd be happy to be directed to those threads. If not, then I'd be happy to hear what others in similar situations have done.

There appear to be a bewildering array of aftermarket products for suspension tuning. I'm interested in upgrading to what a normal sports suspension would give, not something that will corner like an Indy car. I did ask my dealer what they could do and the quote was outrageous - the cost of a top of the line Eibach kit plus twice that in labor. I might not want that kind of performance as I just want to corner a bit better and remove the secondary bumping that seems to come from having a weak set of springs.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
I am in the same proverbial boat (non-SP 335d which I will pick up on Monday ) as you and have been considering a Coilover kit, in particular, the KW Variant 1 Coilover. I understand such an upgrade would greatly enhance the handling of the car. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has gone this route.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popomann View Post
I am in the same proverbial boat (non-SP 335d which I will pick up on Monday ) as you and have been considering a Coilover kit, in particular, the KW Variant 1 Coilover. I understand such an upgrade would greatly enhance the handling of the car. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has gone this route.
You're going to love the car, SP or no SP. Get the JBD if you're interested in juicing it but skip the can tool they sell - you can get a cheaper and better OBD2 reader from any car parts store. I hate to dis the JBD guys, as the chip is fab.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
last time I looked up suspensions for 335i and 335d I found sports suspensions were same. So you can search in e90 thread for better answers.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: '11 AW 335d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspumoni View Post
I did not purchase my 2010 335d with the sports suspension, mostly owing to the fact that all the 335d models my dealers carried that had the sports suspension were tarted up with frills I didn't want, like iDrive.

Now I'm interested in aftermarket upgrades. I'm sure this has been asked before, and if so, I'd be happy to be directed to those threads. If not, then I'd be happy to hear what others in similar situations have done.

There appear to be a bewildering array of aftermarket products for suspension tuning. I'm interested in upgrading to what a normal sports suspension would give, not something that will corner like an Indy car. I did ask my dealer what they could do and the quote was outrageous - the cost of a top of the line Eibach kit plus twice that in labor. I might not want that kind of performance as I just want to corner a bit better and remove the secondary bumping that seems to come from having a weak set of springs.

Anyone else in the same boat?
check out my thread here; http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=554907

I recenly upgraded to the H&R Cup Kit set-up....they also have Sports springs and a full coilover kit, all specific to the diesel. No one else, not even Eibach, have kits specific to the diesel.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
You're going to love the car, SP or no SP. Get the JBD if you're interested in juicing it but skip the can tool they sell - you can get a cheaper and better OBD2 reader from any car parts store. I hate to dis the JBD guys, as the chip is fab.
The parts store ones read and can delete shadow codes? I thought that was the primary reason the BT was pushed as a thing to get when modding.

Sent from my iPad Nano
Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I'm interested in upgrading to what a normal sports suspension would give, not something that will corner like an Indy car.
You have a couple of good alternatives, given what you wrote above.

You might be able to buy a set of takeoff suspension components for the factory sport suspension from someone who has gone to aftermarket parts.

The other alternative is to buy the factory BMW Performance suspension setup, and have it installed by someone other than the dealer (dealers routinely overcharge for this kind of work). Here's the link to the Performance suspension, from a very reputable dealer: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Bear in mind that although the description speaks of lowering your car by a half inch, that is talking about installing the kit on a car with the factory sport suspension. On your car with the standard suspension, the drop will be closer to 1 inch.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335d
I suspect you will find there are going to be options for swapping out your stock springs for a set that will lower your car, and this approach might well improve your handling if they work well with your stock struts.

But when considering this approach, the one thing to keep in mind is what impact there might be on your factory struts?

I have observed a number of guys who changed their stock springs to then realize the new springs did not match their stock struts well and not only was the ride compromised, they soon destoyed their stock struts.

Just my $.02, but for the money you already have invested in your car, I would probably consider a set of fully adjustable coilovers, but that's just me.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 AM

Put on a set of Koni FSD shocks. Short of an active damping system (which for E9X cars, is only available on the M editions), they are the cat's meow....
Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d, Mazda 6, RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
The parts store ones read and can delete shadow codes? I thought that was the primary reason the BT was pushed as a thing to get when modding.
They can't. This was bad advice. The OBDII readers can only read the standard OBDII codes. The BT has much more capability - though it is not the be all and the end all - as I think you already know...

Old 08-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone - very helpful.

Maybe the better question should have been "what exactly IS the difference between the stock sport and standard suspension packages?" I had always assumed springs and struts plus ancillary components, but what about sway bars and are those front and rear?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Sports package comes with stiffer and lower springs paired with stiffer dampers. That's the difference.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Could well be true and I won't dispute this, owing to lack of experience with either the JBD BT tool or the standard ODB2 reader I bought as an alternative. The BT tool and the reader both read a common rail error and both cleared it just fine. As this is the only error I've ever been able to detect (I have the JBD set to about 60% juice and haven't yet tried 100%), I have no idea if shadow codes can be detected and defer to experts I can tell you that the DEF warning doesn't show as an error code on the OBD2 reader, as I just got my warning at 20k and checked for fun.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 335d
Here is a link to a thread in that other forum that might be of some interest.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172481
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Enuff View Post
Here is a link to a thread in that other forum that might be of some interest.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172481
Thanks! Great reading. Makes my choices seem even more perplexing than before, but that's how it usually is when one starts really thinking deeply about how to solve a particular problem.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM

I am with anE934fun, I used to own and 02 MCS sport pkg and it was hell downher in Puerto Rico, in the states of course in Florida never bothered me. But I came across KONI FSD and installed them with the original sport springs and man was it NIGHT & DAY for the car. I even had a older gentleman drive my MCS and fell in love with the handling and drivability of it and he HAD an 05 Regular Mini!!! He purchased the FSDs and never looked back, Im planning to do the same in next few years when warranties expires or better yet the hell with it I'll buy before the next 2 yrs. TRUST me your car will ride better than a CADILLAC once installed.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
I am with anE934fun, I used to own and 02 MCS sport pkg and it was hell downher in Puerto Rico, in the states of course in Florida never bothered me. But I came across KONI FSD and installed them with the original sport springs and man was it NIGHT & DAY for the car. I even had a older gentleman drive my MCS and fell in love with the handling and drivability of it and he HAD an 05 Regular Mini!!! He purchased the FSDs and never looked back, Im planning to do the same in next few years when warranties expires or better yet the hell with it I'll buy before the next 2 yrs. TRUST me your car will ride better than a CADILLAC once installed.
Ironically, my first use of the Koni FSDs was to tame the ride harshness of a 2005 MCS with the factory sport suspension. The FSDs were the best modification I made to the MCS. Even the newer LCI editions of the E9X cars will benefit from FSDs.

As far as warranty issues, the only warranty issue would potentially be if the shocks failed, but there is a lifetime warranty on the FSDs. BMW won't CPO the car with non-BMW parts installed, but if you keep the OEM shocks and install them just prior to the CPO inspection, you can get the CPO warranty coverage. Although, personally, there are better extended warranty plans than the CPO coverage (only 2 additional years past the factory 4 year coverage for CPO).
Old 08-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
You have a couple of good alternatives, given what you wrote above.

You might be able to buy a set of takeoff suspension components for the factory sport suspension from someone who has gone to aftermarket parts.

The other alternative is to buy the factory BMW Performance suspension setup, and have it installed by someone other than the dealer (dealers routinely overcharge for this kind of work). Here's the link to the Performance suspension, from a very reputable dealer: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Bear in mind that although the description speaks of lowering your car by a half inch, that is talking about installing the kit on a car with the factory sport suspension. On your car with the standard suspension, the drop will be closer to 1 inch.
62Lincoln,

Based on your very helpful comments I did a bunch of digging around and am leaning towards the Tischer Performance kit you link to here. Do you have any feeling on the relative merits of this kit versus, say, the Koni FSD/Eibach setup? The Koni/Eibach setup worries me a little, as I cannot determine if it is just the dampers and springs or it is also includes bushings and other bits and bobs. Plus, I'd like to keep my warranty and while BMW would have to prove that a suspension problem requiring work was due to a Koni/Eiback setup, my feeling is that they'd have less ground to stand on if it was a kit sold by BMW. The guys at Tischer have been really helpful answering my zillion questions, telling me most importantly that this would be an upgrade in terms of handling even from ZSP.

Any other cold-water warnings I should be wary of before jumping into the pool?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
62Lincoln,

Based on your very helpful comments I did a bunch of digging around and am leaning towards the Tischer Performance kit you link to here. Do you have any feeling on the relative merits of this kit versus, say, the Koni FSD/Eibach setup? The Koni/Eibach setup worries me a little, as I cannot determine if it is just the dampers and springs or it is also includes bushings and other bits and bobs. Plus, I'd like to keep my warranty and while BMW would have to prove that a suspension problem requiring work was due to a Koni/Eiback setup, my feeling is that they'd have less ground to stand on if it was a kit sold by BMW. The guys at Tischer have been really helpful answering my zillion questions, telling me most importantly that this would be an upgrade in terms of handling even from ZSP.

Any other cold-water warnings I should be wary of before jumping into the pool?

Thanks
Sounds like you answered your own question. If warranty is of a concern stick with the Performance kit.

The Performance kit (springs/shocks) was specifically engineered by BMW to be paired together and installed on your car, so from a functionality and perhaps a performance perspective it's probably better then the alternative. Koni FSD's were not specifically deigned to be paired with the Eibach spings or vice versa. That said, by most accounts the Koni FSD/Eibach set-up is a good match, but it will lower your car more then the Performance kit.

I installed the old performance dampers with Eibach springs because not only did I want to improve handling I wanted a slightly lower look over the Performance kit. That said, I would NOT recommend pairing the new Performance with Eiback Pro Kit springs. The sportlines would probably work but would require more research to see how the spring rates compare with the Performance springs.

Last edited by cssnms; 08-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Every thing you wrote is spot on; the only thing I would add is that I've read that the Performance suspension is a bit more hard core than the sport suspension, which makes sense in terms of the progression from the standard suspension to the sport suspension to the Performance suspension. The other factor to keep in mind is that there will be a drop versus your standard suspension, which I've read elsewhere to be roughly an inch.

I agree with your thoughts regarding using BMW parts. Normally I have no reserve about aftermarket parts, but given the reputation of BMWs for their handling/ride combination, it makes a lot of sense to me to stick with a suspension that was developed by those same engineers. If you were tracking, maybe aftermarket might make more sense, but for your needs, I think the factory makes a lot of sense.

WRT to the Koni/Eibach setup, I've read nothing but favorable comments from those that have used it. I think it will lower your car more than the Performance setup, if that matters. The Koni setup might ride a little softer, but that thought is anecdotal, and based on the comments of users I've read elsewhere.

Tischer is top notch. They will make certain you have what you need, so keep talking with those guys and they will do a good job for you.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d +Turbo E36 Vert
I've got the Ground Control Street/Track coilover kit on my 2010 335d and have been very happy with it. I was told that Ground Control borrowed a 335d from the dealer and weighed the car on all corners before selecting the springs for the car. It rides surprisingly well for a very low car.

My car did not come with sport package. The trim around the doors is polished, but I bought a blackout vinyl and covered the trim myself. It turned out excellent for my first time doing this. Everyone has thought it's factory black.

I second the JBD and the CAN tool.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 AM

CSSNMS and 62lincoln - you guys rock! Thanks for the great advice. I will go performance kit and let you know what I think when it's done. Thanks all who posted. Good stuff.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 AM

Well, it's ordered from Tischer. I don't normally post such drivel, but it's a pretty exciting development. My plan is to find a nice flat surface and take some measurements of the drop before and after the install. I'll troll the forum to figure out the most accurate way to do that before seeking aid - the only potential thorny issue is the extent to which tire pressure influences these measurements and I will be certain to correct that if it's off so as to minimize its influence.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 AM

Well, it's ordered from Tischer. I don't normally post such drivel, but it's a pretty exciting development. My plan is to find a nice flat surface and take some measurements of the drop before and after the install. I'll troll the forum to figure out the most accurate way to do that before seeking aid - the only potential thorny issue is the extent to which tire pressure influences these measurements and I will be certain to correct that if it's off so as to minimize its influence.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 AM

EMC are those OZ ALLEGERITAS, I'm plannig in getting them in black. for my 35d Montego Blue with Chestnut interior