Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d +Turbo E36 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
EMC are those OZ ALLEGERITAS, I'm plannig in getting them in black. for my 35d Montego Blue with Chestnut interior
OZ Ultraleggera's. 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear. Very strong and light wheel for the price.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Modest 2011 335d Suspension Upgrade

I have a base model 2011 E90 335d (no sports package and no mods). Since everyday street handling is my main interest, I evaluated ways in which I could improve the handling of the car without doing anything too radical. I have had the car for a little over three months, and I felt that its handling was unbecoming a BMW, in that it wallowed a bit over slight elevations or depressions in the road at highway speeds, and it didnít settle down promptly when encountering road imperfections. I didnít particularly want to lower the car even though I think it looks a bit better when that is done, as I donít plan to take it to the track all that much. Having said that, I didnít rule out the idea of lowering it an inch or so.

So, I evaluated changing the springs, the struts/shocks, the sway bars, the wheel size, and the tires. I went against my basic instinct of not lowering it, and evaluated the H&R spring upgrade (1.3 in in front and 1.2 in in the rear lowering) and some Bilstein or Koni strut/shocks (which I have done in the past with my old 2002 and a Jetta I had. But couldnít find for the 335d anything that looked like a matching set, and I didnít have the money or interest in experimenting. Then I looked at the Bilstein B16 coilover kit, which seemed to have promise, but got a bit nervous from reading the blogs. Again, I didnít want to spend money and be disappointed.

So, I backed off and yesterday I had installed just some Bilstein B6 Sports struts/shocks, nothing else. There is a noticeable difference. When the springs are energized, these dampers quickly ďdampenĒ the oscillations the way I think they should, without making it really any harsher than the run-flats already make it. It is slightly more twitchy on less than perfect pavement, but nothing that I dislike and it seems to give me better road feel. At Speed in Hanover also gave me a nice alignment. So I am quite pleased with the results of what I have done so far.

Next steps? Well, I thought I might upgrade the rear sway bar a tad by installing the sway bar from the Sports Package. I bought it and havenít received it yet. But to my chagrin and embarrassment I discovered after that fact that the dealer sold me a sway bar that is no different than what I have installed. Seems that the rear sway bar for the base model and the M Sports Suspension option is the same, although the front sway bar is the same. So now I am starting to research the H&R rear sway bar, which is 20mm vice the OEM 13mm. I am a bit concerned that I will change the car from being an understeerer (which is OK for an amateur like me) to an oversteerer (which would require me to enhance my skills more than is probably possible). Still pondering this. Donít know whether I will mess with the springs or not.

After they wear down I will eventually replace the run-flats with something else.

Constructive comments are welcome.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Well I decided to use the KONI FSDs and left the NON sport springs on, and the car handles 100% better than before. One problem is i have to realign the LCI's since they are now downwards and I believe because of the height increase of almost half inc or more.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
I first went with the intention to get KW V2s. However, the place I went with messed up the order, they had V3s on site and were offering me them at V2 prices so it was a no brainer.

Last edited by GreekboyD; 08-14-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 AM

Height Before and After

I forgot to measure height before and after. I had intended to do that when thinking about the Bilstein B15 coilovers, but now I can only guess. The rear seems about the same. Visually the front looks slightly higher, just looking at the gap between the top of of the tire and the fender.

Am wondering what the effect would be now of putting on the H&R 20mm rear sway bar. Intent is to reduce the understeer, but would that be overdoing it?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
Well I decided to use the KONI FSDs and left the NON sport springs on, and the car handles 100% better than before. One problem is i have to realign the LCI's since they are now downwards and I believe because of the height increase of almost half inc or more.
Is this common with BMW vehicles for the ride height to increase so much via jus changing the dampners? Only time I have seen that happen is when the old ones were so worn that the vehicle was sagging. But that obviously would not be the case when replacing something so new.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM

@ Snipe I will go to the dealer to have the LCI aligned, BASTARDS might try to trick **** me into the warranty BS LOL!!! To be honest to you the car feels great, my friend who has a 330i loved the smooth ride, he was impressed!!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I care more to know if the ride height increase is normal.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 AM

I believe so there is a height increase, mines sure went up but I dont care considering our roads down here
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMC View Post
I've got the Ground Control Street/Track coilover kit on my 2010 335d and have been very happy with it. I was told that Ground Control borrowed a 335d from the dealer and weighed the car on all corners before selecting the springs for the car. It rides surprisingly well for a very low car.

My car did not come with sport package. The trim around the doors is polished, but I bought a blackout vinyl and covered the trim myself. It turned out excellent for my first time doing this. Everyone has thought it's factory black.

I second the JBD and the CAN tool.

EMC what kind of wheels are those and where did you get them. Trying to find some for my 09 335d
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335de View Post
EMC what kind of wheels are those and where did you get them. Trying to find some for my 09 335d
Those were 19" OZ Ultraleggera wheels. 19x10 rear and 19.8.5 front. They were E92 M3 wheels, but I had 3mm removed from the rear to increase the offset by the 3mm so there was no fender rubbing with near zero camber (low side of factory spec). It helped with tire wear out back.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Had BC coilovers on a previous car and loved them. Will probably go with the same if I ever decide to mod my suspension.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 PM

EMC - First, I want to say that I love the look of your car. I just read your post about removing 3mm from the rear to increase the offset. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but how was that done? Was this accomplished by adjusting the camber? I was lucky enough to find a set of lightly used chrome E90 M3 wheels. They look awesome on the car, but they do rub on the rear fenders. They don't rub much, but is enough to be very annoying. Is rolling the fenders my only option or is there another way to keep the tires from rubbing?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D M sport...
H & R pro street coilovers, $1350 from Turner, better than KW, made in Germany, used by many race teams, fully adjustable, aluminum bodies, lighter than a KW coilover by about 5lbs at each wheel, plus they cost $300 less than a KW...I always use H & R coilovers and sway bars... with these coilovers and some Apex wheels you will save about 13lbs at each wheel over stock, that's 50 lbs overall, sign me up...

Last edited by DieselRacer; 05-29-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 AM

Davinci do the fender rolling I had to do it on my car since I hv 265 rears

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci74 View Post
EMC - First, I want to say that I love the look of your car. I just read your post about removing 3mm from the rear to increase the offset. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but how was that done? Was this accomplished by adjusting the camber? I was lucky enough to find a set of lightly used chrome E90 M3 wheels. They look awesome on the car, but they do rub on the rear fenders. They don't rub much, but is enough to be very annoying. Is rolling the fenders my only option or is there another way to keep the tires from rubbing?
We removed the 3mm by putting the wheels (with tires on them) in a Bridgeport mill. The wheels were perfectly straight and we took some time to make sure they were level with a dial indicator before machining the 3mm off the back hub surface.

I didn't want to increase camber, so this worked well for me. There was enough material on the center of the wheel that 3mm wasn't going to hurt anything. I have a fender rolling tool, but didn't want to risk cracking the paint on such a nice new car.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:59 AM

Thank you for your responses. Machining down the back of the hubs is an option I hadn't considered. I've been thinking about rolling the fenders too, but it's not something I'd try myself. Maybe someone in the Delaware/NJ/PA area reading this can recommend a shop.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 PM
diesel-fitter

Mein Auto: 335D
the rsb is expensive to replace correct? subframe has to come down?

also, the rsb in sport suspension is > than m-sports suspension (which is the same as base pkg).
Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebread39 View Post
the rsb is expensive to replace correct? subframe has to come down?

also, the rsb in sport suspension is > than m-sports suspension (which is the same as base pkg).
I wouldn't say it's expensive to replace but depends more on what you want to replace it with. The subframe does have to be lowered so you might as well beef up your subframe bushings (4 of them) while you're at it.