Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: NYC
Sport Seats - Tall Driver = are they comfortable?

The salesman at the dealership swears that sport seats are much more comfortable that regular seats, but one guy from forum told me that they can be very uncomfortable for a tall guy. I called 3 dealership around me and non of them has X3 with sport seat, so I thought I start with asking here.

I am 6,2 tall, and I am very particular with my seat, it's very hard for me to find a comfortable position.

Tall guys please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bellorusha; 07-29-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X3
I am 6'1 and I previously owned a 335i with sport seats. I personally thought they were super comfortable. They offer more support for your back and entire body. I bought them again with the SAP in my new X3. I take delivery of it on Wednesday, but I am sure it will be just as comfortable if not more so (especially since there is more space in the X3 than the 335i). Its your call though
Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: x3 turbo
I am very tall too, around 6'5" and the normal seats are just OK I suppose. There is ample leg room, I don't even have the seat all the way back, but my biggest gripe is the lateral support which is nonexistant. You take a corner at any speed and you slide all over the place with then ormal seats. The sport seats felt more comfortable and held the body better and in hind sight we definitely should have gotten the sport seats.

Finding a comfortable seating position, be it on a normal or sport seat, is 100% subjective so the only real way to be sure is for you to find a set of both and spend some time in them. I'm surprised no one around you has sport seats available to try out. It was the opposite around us, every x3 was totally loaded and included sport seats.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 AM

dest149 - let me know a few days after you'll get the car please.. thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i, 2014 335i
I have an X3 with sport seats and both my wife and I love them. I'm 6-2 and she's 5-10. The lumbar support in particular makes long drives quite comfortable.

2011 335d Titanium Metallic Silver w/ Napa Gray Leather *retired*

2014 335i Estoril Blue w/ Coral Red Leather

Old 07-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I have the sport seats and find them much more supportive than the standard seats. I have had back surgery on my L4 & L5 disks so for me the sports seats were a must!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: subaru outback
I tested both, and chose sport seats. I am 6'4'' and like my seat back quite upright. I have never been comfortable in a car with a sun roof because you lose 1/12" to 2" of headroom. I ordered my X3 (yet to be delivered) without a sunroof. By elevating the sport seat to its full height, I can sit without my knees being higher than my hips, and thereby make the thigh extension effective. The only problem is that while very comfortable, I'm sitting so high that a portion of the speedometer is obscured by the steering wheel.. I'll have to work on that.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvguy View Post
I tested both, and chose sport seats. I am 6'4'' and like my seat back quite upright. I have never been comfortable in a car with a sun roof because you lose 1/12" to 2" of headroom. I ordered my X3 (yet to be delivered) without a sunroof. By elevating the sport seat to its full height, I can sit without my knees being higher than my hips, and thereby make the thigh extension effective. The only problem is that while very comfortable, I'm sitting so high that a portion of the speedometer is obscured by the steering wheel.. I'll have to work on that.
You can adjust the steering wheel up/down and in/out so you should be able to get it so it does not block the speedometer.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Just found one dealer with 28i M package, so it has the sport seats. And I just got back from a test drive on that car, and I Hate it, I feel trapped between those wings on the seat, and because of them the seat got smaller, I tried to loosing those wings up (they have a switch on the button) and on the most released settings I still felt trapped.
I also feel like I'm sitting very high and the chair doesn't go any lower, how are you guys saying that it's comfortable?

Now I have no idea what to do, since I planned on taking sport package because of the rims (hate the standard on 35i) and the sport mode.
Very upset now.

P.S. Also I hated the steering wheel on M model. does anybody know if the same wheel comes in with Sport Activity Package?

Last edited by bellorusha; 07-29-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellorusha View Post
Just found one dealer with 28i M package, so it has the sport seats. And I just got back from a test drive on that car, and I Hate it, I feel trapped between those wings on the seat, and because of them the seat got smaller, I tried to loosing those wings up (they have a switch on the button) and on the most released settings I still felt trapped.
I also feel like I'm sitting very high and the chair doesn't go any lower, how are you guys saying that it's comfortable?

Now I have no idea what to do, since I planned on taking sport package because of the rims (hate the standard on 35i) and the sport mode.
Very upset now.

P.S. Also I hated the steering wheel on M model. does anybody know if the same wheel comes in with Sport Activity Package?
Doesn't sound like you are a potential MSport pkg owner. Personally I love my MSport seats and steering wheel; but we can't all be the same.

Just get it without either the MSport or the SAP.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
Quote:
I Hate it, I feel trapped between those wings on the seat, and because of them the seat got smaller.
I'd give it another try. I wasn't sure about them on my first test drive, but after the second test drive, I started to like them and now that I have them, I'm so glad that I do.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Are you sure you had the wings fully deflated? If not, they can make you feel "squished" in. I LOVE the thick wheel that comes with the sport package personally. I couldn't live without it! I think you are the first person I have heard say that they don't like the "beefy" wheel. Guess you could always change it out after if you end up going with the SAP.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want the thrill View Post
are you sure you had the wings fully deflated? If not, they can make you feel "squished" in. I love the thick wheel that comes with the sport package personally. I couldn't live without it! I think you are the first person i have heard say that they don't like the "beefy" wheel. Guess you could always change it out after if you end up going with the sap.
+1
Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 AM

What I don't understand now is, how can I buy a car like on autoshow, (the car that I originally fell in love with)

This car has "X-Line exterior trim package" and 19'' rims, but don't have a Sport Package (Steering wheel and sport seats that I don't like).

Why would BMW advertise the car that you can't possibly buy? I'm kinda doomed here

Last edited by bellorusha; 07-31-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 AM

The people in the background look Japanese. Perhaps thats a Japanese/Chinese auto show? In which case they have different packages and combinations available. (unless that picture was actually you taking it, in which case forget it). I dunno what else to tell you...
Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM

No. I saw the same car at NYC auto show
Old 07-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
Quote:
This car has "X-Line exterior trim package" and 19'' rims, but don't have a Sport Package (Steering wheel and sport seats that I don't like).
Are you sure it had the X-Line trim? It looks black.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Are you sure it had the X-Line trim? It looks black.
+1 looks like satin roof rails where added separately (which is an option that is available to you)
Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 PM

But the rims not available without sport package
Old 07-31-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
But the rims not available without sport package
So get it without the SAP and then sell the rims that come with the vehicle and buy the 309's. Here's a set on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-F...Q5fAccessories

Put the money you get from the old rims towards the cost of the new ones.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
So get it without the SAP and then sell the rims that come with the vehicle and buy the 309's. Here's a set on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-F...Q5fAccessories

Put the money you get from the old rims towards the cost of the new ones.
You can also buy rims for like 600+ dollars at Tischer BMW website.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 AM

It doesn't sound like something I would do when buying a car for $50k. Lol
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
It doesn't sound like something I would do when buying a car for $50k. Lol
I mean... I don't see why not. The rims are the same 309's that you are wanting so what is the difference. This way they just don't cost you an arm and a leg.

P.S. Tischer BMW is an actual BMW dealership located I don't know where, but they actually sell the BMW's its not a 3rd party website.

Last edited by dest149; 08-01-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
Interesting topic. My wife preferred the non sport seats as she thought they were more comfortable. I also felt like the sport seats were a little tight on the sides, and I'm 6'2 190lbs, so not huge, and I'm fairly certain I had them fully deflated. Don't want to regret not getting them though. In my 5 the comfort seats are wonderful and a great upgrade, but I'm not sold on the X3's. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM

So images how I was feeling in those seats, I'm 6,2" and 220lb.. lol..

I'm going to try again thought, because I love the look of SA package, and somebody said that they hated it to the first time, but then loved it.